Army Service Corps

Bob Coulson

Bob,

Army Service Corps 1902-18 Michael Young

Pen & Sword 2000

ISBN 085052 730 9

£25

is probably as good as it gets.

Written by the curator of the RCT Museum. 400 pages, half of which are very detailed listing of ASC companies, unit establishments, etc.

Jock Bruce

To Jock Bruce.

I have a record of a L/Cpl. Harold Sugden A.S.C.

who was taken prisoner at Mons 1914, not much but it shows

they were there at the beginning.

Cliff. Hobson.

The work of the ASC did not appear to be the stuff of heroes, and they at times, received unfair ribbing from the fighting battallions, but their work was vital, and there were many unsung heroes amongst them.

Although never directly involved in trench holding, raids or attacks, these were the men who operated at munition and supply dumps just behind the lines. Although much of the forward carrying parties was augmented by battallions "resting" between spells in the line, ASC men were involved in maintaining the supply dump heads.

Line Battallions were rotated between the front, and "rest" or training in back areas. No such luxuries for the forward ASC men, who because they were not regarded as being fighting troops, were not rotated. Yet they still had to endure the gut renching fear of running the enemy artillery gauntlet night after night, and operating at dumps which were themselves within range, sometimes for months on end.

Tim

I hope folk will permit me a small advert for a forthcoming little article on Tom Morgan's site about Harry Eastwick, ASC. Harry was a most unlucky soldier - which is why he ended up on one of my local war memorials. Should be there when Tom does his January update

John B)

• 3 years later...

I have a book about the ASC it's: "With the MT in Mesopatamia"