Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle Tank

Mads Stenroos-Dam

Hi

In 1864, denmark lost part of southern jutland to germany after a war. This part of denmark, stayed under german rule until 1920, where it was given back to the danes. The danes who was living in the area, stayed loyal to the danish king, but many of the young men was forced to do military service in the german army and navy.

This wooden tank was given to a dane who was forced into german service, during WW1, he was vounded and taken as a prisoner in december 1916 and spent both christmas and new year in a british field hospital. Christmas eve, all the patients at the hospital had one off these tanks as gifts from a nearby repairshop.

I have 2 of these tanks, this one is a little bit larger than the other. He got 2, because he also was in the hospital on the evening of new year, where he got the additional one as a gift.

This dane stayed in the hospital until the end of january 1917, where he was send to a prison camp in england. The camp he went to, was primarily for danes that was forced into german service.

This is the story i was told.

Do anyone know about these tanks? Have you seen them before?

Regards

Mads

Picture 2

Picture 3

post-14396-1156169575.jpg

post-14396-1156169630.jpg

post-14396-1156169673.jpg

I have not seen one before but..... they are wonderful and obviously the model maker had acess to some very good photos, if not the real thing

My only doubt is about the date (Christmas 1916) as the model look like a Mark IV tank (clues are the shortened gun barrel and the silencer which were not fitted to the first tanks)

Stephen

It's actually a model of a Mark V, shown by the air intakes on the sides and the square conning position on the hull top. The Mark V was first used in July 1918. I think prisoners made models like this to sell or exchange.

Simon

It could look like that the timeline not is correct in the history,but thats what happens when it goes from one familymember to another.

Maybe its a souvenir from the prisoncamp in england then.

The only thing that i can confirm is that he was injured, stayed on a fieldhospital, and then was send to england. He came back to denmark in 1922, with a british girl, and then he started his own family here.

Thanks for helping.

Mads

Yes it's a nice model and a touching story, thanks Mads

Simon

How big is this thing? Against the grain of the pine it looks tiny

Dan Brock

Hi Dan

Made a few more pics of the tanks. Hope that you can use it.

Mads

Hi Dan

Mads

Hi Dan

Mads

post-14396-1156239826.jpg

post-14396-1156239886.jpg

post-14396-1156239923.jpg