Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what Happened On this Date ?

PBI

Railway Dug Outs Mil Cem,Zillebeke,Belgium,17.08.2006

At a guess, a shell dropped amongst them and it was not possible to sort out who was who.

When this happened, they were usually able to put the unit on the stone, as "soldier/s of ....regiment", and if they knew who was among the remains they would put the names all on the one stone.

Perhaps more likely here, the date given is the date that the remains of eleven unknown men killed in a previous engagement and hastily buried, or covered by debris from a shell, were discovered and reburied.

Adrian

I photographed sim at essex farm and wondered what happend to eight men same reg same daypost-2161-1156118184.jpg

Biffo, is that the chaps that all died on Xmas day 1916? KRRC if I recall correct? I've got a pic of those graves somewhere too.

cant remember the date to be honest but am going to ypres again weekend after next ,my pic isnt good enough to pickup date but if I have time will go and take a better pic,will let you know thats if no one else comes up with info,

I checked my pics, the one I have is of seven KRRC men who all died on the 25th Dec 1916. I can't check to see what cemetery it is from as the CWGC site seems to be down at the moment. I can read the names ok, so when the site is back on its feet I'll check.