Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women and War Exhibition - IWM

aliecoco

Hi,

I am not sure how many of the male pals would be interested, but I visited this new exhibition on Sunday, and I had a really interesting couple of hours looking round. There is quite a large portion dedicated to WW1, and if you are a 'friend' you get in for free!

I think its a very worthwhile and long overdue exhibition! I learn't about some very brave women, including one who served in the front line! (VB fans are also catered for!) If you get a chance I would recommend visiting.

The male pals might be interested to hear that you can see Geri Halliwell's short dress that she wore when she entertained the troops!!

GIRL POWER!

Alie.

Guest Pete Wood

I'll tell you what I want

What I really, really want

I wanna, I wanna

I wanna, I wanna,

I really want to see the expo now

Tum tee tum

I've just realised that I may need some therapy :o

There, there Teapots, have a nice cuppa and a biscuit; the men in the white coats will arrive soon to take you to a happy place.

Alie, wish I was in London.

Peter in Ottawa

Does this tie in with the Kate Adie book and TV series currently ebing shown on UK History? (it's a cracking sereis too - must go and get the book)

Fleur

I think that women who waited at home for news of their sons and husbands suffered an unbearable sort of mental torture , often for years on end. Arguably it would be easier to be the soldier at the Front in charge of your destiny to a degree.

My 8 year old son has 2 namesakes buried on the Western Front that we have visited several times. His mother can't even bear to look at a photo of these graves.

We often read in Great War writing of men's last word being "Mother" or "Mutter". After the war these mothers faced long years of mourning often without the comfort of a grave and in the case of the German women without the small consolation of Victory. Often, they mourned more than one son and a husband too.

In my case, Remembrance extends to this sad black-clad multi-national army of women and their massive burden of grief. I imagine them standing silently and patiently with us in the shadows of the Menin Gate, filing past the Cenotaph and making their slow difficult pilgrimages to lonely graves in distant cemeteries.

We will remember them.

• Admin

I think that the exhibition runs until April.

Michelle :blink:

women who waited at home for news of their sons and husbands suffered an unbearable sort of mental torture 

Ian, this is very much what I was thinking about when I posted asking about mental ill health and:

the traumas and pressures of women in that period: bereavement, the return of a lover maimed or radically changed, poverty, child-rearing, post-natal depression, miscarriage, fatigue, inadequate support from an injured husband, separation and anxiety, alcohol, life with a depressed or traumatised partner; as well as psychiatric conditions which we would recognise and treat, such as clinical depression or bipolar depression.

It sounds as if the exhibition would be very rewarding. Unfortunately for me at the moment London might as well be on the other side of the world. Hopefully by April..

Gwyn

Hi Fleur

The exhibition does tie in with the Kate Adie book. It's really good. I bought mine from WH Smith for £21 . £4 off the usual price.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies on this, been away for a few days, so its great that others are on the ball to give out the facts of this exhibition! 24th April is the date of its ending I think! Just wish I could of gone to the IWM on Monday when Kate Adie gave her talk.

For Ian and Gwyn, I enjoyed reading your posts and agree entirely with your comments. This is the sort of angle I like on the Great War, very much the human element, and personal stories.

Thanks to Fleur for pointing out the UK history channel bit which I shall now look out for! And I am sure Racey T has got all the words right!

Tum tee Tum

Alie.