Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pilots /observers 59 sqn

andnella

If there are any relatives or historians with knowledge of any of these men from 59 Squadron RFC (Feb-June 1918) who have stories or photos they could share, please drop me a line.

Pilots

Lt Col Mitchell

Major Mackay.

Capts Locke, Leake,Scott,Oliver,Powell,Green.

Lts

Wells, Stanley, Williamson-Jones,Prout,Bentley,Robinson,Mair,Fredrickson,Plum mer,Richards,Owen,Dalglish,Burt, Smith,Prout,Sayers,Kelly,Naylor,Bentley,Green,Cogg s,Scott,Craig,Williams,Golding,Hilborn,Thomas,Wilcox,Brereton,Christian,Oliver,

Kinet, Macpherson, Lacey, Burt,Woolett, Kirk,

Marten- Smith.

Observers

Majors ...Berwick,Newman,Morris,Gardner.

Lts Instone,Kent,Welby,Dewy,Nathan,Hughes,Harrison,McE chren,Somerfield,Dodson,Rowley,Eastoe,Knight,Leigh ton,Reynish,Sear,Kingswill,Gray,Mcintosh,Hanning,F ry,Kent,Murdock,Upfill,Wright,Egan,Welby,Thompson, Smith,Hegan,Kingwill,Charlton,Moore,Dudson,Edwards ,Garick,Seagrave,Nathen,O’Kill,Warren,Clements,Hys lop,Wyre,Gray,Green,

La Cecilia,Klias,Wilkinson,Bridge,James,Morgan,Lumsde n,Gaynor,Chadwick.

Andrew Allen

• 2 months later...
If there are any relatives or historians with knowledge of any of these men from 59 Squadron RFC (Feb-June 1918) who have stories or photos they could share, please drop me a line.

Pilots

Lt Col Mitchell

Major Mackay.

Capts Locke, Leake,Scott,Oliver,Powell,Green.

Lts

Wells, Stanley, Williamson-Jones,Prout,Bentley,Robinson,Mair,Fredrickson,Plum mer,Richards,Owen,Dalglish,Burt, Smith,Prout,Sayers,Kelly,Naylor,Bentley,Green,Cogg s,Scott,Craig,Williams,Golding,Hilborn,Thomas,Wilcox,Brereton,Christian,Oliver,

Kinet, Macpherson, Lacey, Burt,Woolett, Kirk,

Marten- Smith.

Observers

Majors ...Berwick,Newman,Morris,Gardner.

Lts Instone,Kent,Welby,Dewy,Nathan,Hughes,Harrison,McE chren,Somerfield,Dodson,Rowley,Eastoe,Knight,Leigh ton,Reynish,Sear,Kingswill,Gray,Mcintosh,Hanning,F ry,Kent,Murdock,Upfill,Wright,Egan,Welby,Thompson, Smith,Hegan,Kingwill,Charlton,Moore,Dudson,Edwards ,Garick,Seagrave,Nathen,O’Kill,Warren,Clements,Hys lop,Wyre,Gray,Green,

La Cecilia,Klias,Wilkinson,Bridge,James,Morgan,Lumsde n,Gaynor,Chadwick.

Andrew Allen

I think the Major Mackay you mentioned was T/Major Thomas McIlwraith Mackay who was an equipment officer.

If this is the correct man his details are as follows.

2/Lt (o/p) 12/05/16, 2/Lt 26/07/16, Appointed as Assistant Equipment Officer 12/06/16, Appointed as 2nd Class Equipment Officer and T/Lt 06/02/17, Lt 01/07/17, Ist Class Equipment Officer and T/Major 13/10/17, R.F.C. Technical Training School and T/Captain (While Captain Air) 01/10/18.

I hope this is helpfull.

• 3 months later...

My grandfather was Ignatius Welby observer and later pilot with 59 squadron. I know very little about his service except that he was awarded a DFC, MC, and Belgian Croix de Guerre. I have a few photographs. Please reply if you are interested and I will try and put it all together. Regards Mike Newham

• 2 weeks later...
My grandfather was Ignatius Welby observer and later pilot with 59 squadron. I know very little about his service except that he was awarded a DFC, MC, and Belgian Croix de Guerre. I have a few photographs. Please reply if you are interested and I will try and put it all together. Regards Mike Newham

Hi, I'm trying to trace an officer in 59 Squadron with initials H.G.R. I have his pistol holster embossed to him 1916 and 59 RFC then 57.

If you have any ideas ?

Thanks

Josturm :D

• 11 months later...

Hi!

For interest there is a small brass memorial plaque for 2nd Lt Frank Wood Chadwick, KIA Sept 29 1918 in Lindale Parish Church, Cumbria.

post-31797-1204312507.jpg

P.S!! Any info on Chadwick gratefully received!

Any info on Chadwick gratefully received!

According to Airmen Died, 2Lt F W Chadwick of No 59 Sqn RAF was killed in an accident while flying as observer in RE 8 F5872, flown by Capt Thomas Stuart Symons DFC (formerly 3rd Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment), while on a contact patrol on 29 September 1918. He is buried in Fifteen Ravine Cemetery, Villers-Plouich, France.

However, The Sky Their Battlefield says that the RE 8 was shot down (probably by ground fire).

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

• 6 years later...

I have just bought the MC awarded to a pilot Upfill and am interested in any pictures combat reports or information you may receive. Thanks for your help.

• 3 years later...

Looking into family history: my great uncle was Lt R Hegan.........is he the one you refer to ? Only just starting so no idea he was in 59 Squadron RFC (Feb-June 1918)........am sure I can get some family info if you still want it...........