Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Adam Shaw

I.D ANYONE?

Adam Shaw

I came across these photos in a family box. I don't recognise any of these men as most of my known connections were RN or RNVR. Any information on which unit these men belonged to would be appreciated. The photos are in postcard form (sent to my great grandfather in Stonehaven) , the rear is stamped "Army Post Office 7 Oct 15" with one of them showing a clearer stamp which adds (HD) after the date . I have included a detail which may assist in identifying the unit. The third photo showing a group of four men puzzled me - what is the significance of the a) the dress of the two men standing and B) the presence of a woman in the tent to the left?

Alickie

post-11379-1156012572.jpg

post-11379-1156012595.jpg

post-11379-1156012625.jpg

Adam Shaw

Sorry about the emoticon....I remember reading somewhere that putiing in "brackets B" produces one of those.

Rodge Dowson

Gordon Highlanders

Rodge Dowson

Not too sure why they are not in Kilts though.....

delta

The standing two in "whites" may be chefs; perhaps the others may be members of the Mess staff - I will leave it to my learned friends to confirm with which Scottish unit they served

Adam Shaw

Thanks Rodge

Adam Shaw

Delta...it had crossed my mind that they would possibly be chefs or similar staff, but I wondered whether the others might be larking about with posing with the trays and teapot etc?

Graham Stewart

Alickie,

It's quite possible it's the 3rd(Reserve)Bn, Gordon Highlanders which remained in the Aberdeen area throughout the War. It appears to be the Battalion Cooks and Mess Servants and it should be no surprise to see them in khaki trousers either as the kilt wasn't worn by all Highland units during the war and wool shortages wouldn't have helped. Wool was the preserve of the Government and War Office for the manufacture of Service Dress uniforms.

Graham.

Adam Shaw

Thanks Graham I appreciate the info. What you say abut them remaining n the Aberdeen area makes sense, the rear of one of the cards bears a signature only part of which I can read as "A.Leigxxxx". The message before the signature says " I am thinking of coming down for a weekend" and Stonehaven is about 15 miles south of Aberdeen. I suspect the name is A.Leighton but it means nothing to me in family terms.

Thanks again

A

Adam Shaw

After a long absence and on returning to the site I can now say that one of the two seated in front of the two cooks is Andrew Main Leighton of 3 Duck Lane Stonehaven. He was born on 4 March 1899 and when he joined the 7th Gordon Highlanders, Territorial Force, on 30 November 1914 he gave his age as 17. He was fined 9 days wages for beng AWOL October 1915 and was then discharged on 20 October 1915 having served for 333 days on the grounds of being under 17yrs of age at the date of application for discharge. At that time he had bbeen stationed at Blairgowrie. His service No was 3035.