The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen's East Surrey Regiment

Ilbury Welsh

Grandads_Service_Record.pdf

I have attached my maternal grandfather's service record that I obtained from the MOD from which you can see he spent some time in India.

Two questions......

1. Was this just part of our colonial past or was this part of the war?

2. As you can see from the next posting from his MIC he was awarded the BWM and VM but nothing for being in India as such which perhaps leaves me to believe all was quiet on that front.

John

John,

Thanks for posting your reply from MOD Records, but dear oh dear they've made a mess of the infantry units he was posted to, as there were no such units as the "3rd Queens Training Reserve Battalion", nor was there a "1/5th Queens East Surrey Regt".

You had "The Queens(Royal West Surrey Regt)" and the "East Surrey Regiment", both recruiting from the same County. Both of the 1/5th Battalions of these regiments served in India from December 1914, before moving to Iraq in December 1915. His initial transfer from the A.S.C. would have been to the 3rd(Reserve)Bn, Queens Regt, but because his records haven't been correctly annotated it's difficult to decide whether he went out with the Queens or East Surrey's.

Knowing they've cocked up the units I've checked the on-line Medal Index Cards and his first posting is to the Queens Regiment as 59896 and then he's transferred to the East Surreys as 50079, but that isn't mentioned on the letter to you, so it's possible his records weren't read correctly.

Only a trip to the National Archive would sort this out for you.

Graham.

P.S.

Dismissed a unit called "3rd Training Reserve Battalion", as it was associated with the North Staffs Regt.

John,

Thanks for posting your reply from MOD Records, but dear oh dear they've made a mess of the infantry units he was posted to,

Graham.

Graham many thanks for taking the trouble to advise on this one. Another job to do at Kew.. <_<

John

My wife's grandfather served in India in the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment in 1917/1918. The two battalions which served in India were the 1/4th and 1/5th. We don't know which battalion he was in as his service record was unfortunately not at Kew. I'll post some photos in the gallery.

John.

I don't claim this is conclusive as service numbers were not unique but a quick look at the Medal Index at the National Archive shows men Albert Brown (50078) and JJ Ingram (50080) with service numbers either side of your relative and both were in the Queen's. No sign of anyone in the East Surrey's with these numbers.

Neil

Oops - just read Graham's post #2 properly which says he was in the Queens.