Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passchendaele website

Jojessholli

Hi all - firstly may I say that my post is in no way in competition or meant to detract from the information given on this site and forum, so Mods please bear with me - right that out of the way I can now proceed with my post.

I have recently just purchased the URL www.passchendaele.co.uk and wish to build a site based around the events of the Third Battle of Ypres - the site is to be specific to Passcehendaele and is going to be a resource that will hopefully inform and provide hours of entertainment and enjoyment whilst educating its users.

I have been thinking of the contents of such a site and there are a few that are obvious subjects that I will include such as the histroy of the battles, the divisions, pics etc - but what I would like to know and the reason for the post is what you the enthusiasts and historians would like to see before I put it together.

I have been thinking of putting a resource for books and DVD's, works of artists and poets, details of VC's, the German percpective, and hopefully an indpeth account of the artillery as some of the other topics.

My Grandfather fought at Passchendaele so I owe it to him, everyone else who took part in the Great War to and you guys to get it right and make it interesting and accurate.

Therefore I am open to suggestions and comments - also open to ideas from anyone who might wish to contribute, your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Once again I appologise if the Mods find this topic a bit of a cheek, its not meant to be, its simply so I can provide and accurate site that can link into fine sites such as this.

Regards

Vic

Great idea and good luck.

Without going into the details, I think you could look to see what's missing from other Great War sites and try to fill the gap. I accept, of course, that you would want to cover the main military stuff as well.

I like the idea of something in-depth about the artillery - it's often a forgotten arm.

John

No problem, Vic. The internet is big enough for all of us! The trick may be to find original content - photos, letters, maps, etc - that can't be found anywhere else. If you need any help, give me a shout.

No problem, Vic. The internet is big enough for all of us! The trick may be to find original content - photos, letters, maps, etc - that can't be found anywhere else. If you need any help, give me a shout.

Thanks Chris for letting me put this onto the forum and for being understanding - this is what the community should be all about.

Regards

Vic

I like the idea of something in-depth about the artillery - it's often a forgotten arm.

John

Like you said often forgotton and not a great deal of information out there - I hope I can add some real value to everyones understanding of this.

I think the trick will be to educate the viewers who know very little but at the same time keep those that know a lot. As Chris says by adding info not commonly viewed.

I have tried with my site to use links to small explanitory pages about things like, learning curve and New Army etc so as not to detract from the main narrative on a particular page. Also I have tried, or am starting to write up the main battles of the war for 21st div, by breaking them down in to small bites for the reader. I am working at the moment on the 3rd july attack for 21st div at Shelter wood and am intending to include the german side of things as well to get a rounded view in a vastly expanded version of what is currently on the site.

But also I guess I would say, its your site go with what your heart tells you is right. Ask advice but dont always use it if its not what you want, just because an 'expert' has said to do so.

Good luck, I may need your site when I get to 1917!

regards

Arm

I have been thinking of putting a resource for books and DVD's, works of artists and poets, details of VC's, the German percpective, and hopefully an indpeth account of the artillery as some of the other topics.

Therefore I am open to suggestions and comments - also open to ideas from anyone who might wish to contribute, your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck Vic with your project, it sounds like it is going to be great when it is finished. I have only read one book on Third Ypres; Passchendaele The Untold Story by Prior and Wilson, if you are going to have reviews of books on your site it would certainly be worthwhile to have one of this book.

I remember a few years ago, on a trip to the battlefields, listening to a tape which a teacher had recorded from a Radio programme during the 80th Anniversary of the Somme in 1996. The programme was about the battle, presented by Tony Robinson and featured music of the First World War along with the voices of veterens. A few weeks later I spoke to this teacher and he told me that there had been a similar radio programme in 1997 commemorating the 90th anniversary of Passchendaele, if this is true it might be useful for you to look it up. (Although that is all I know about the programme and there is the possibility that I would be directing you up a blind alley)

Hope it all goes well,

Jon :)

Its an interesting point - I have been thinking of getting some audio samples - maybe by doing a deal with publishers to let me put parts of their recordings onto the web and I advertise their products - not sure how else it could be done - I have heard of lots of recordings from the Second World War that are in the public domain - I shall have to investigate if this is the case with the Great War.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Vic

Vic

This is a wonderful idea. So much attention is given to The Battle of the Somme, that Passchendaele appears to be pushed into the background. The conditions for the soldiers were worse at the time of the Third Battle of Ypres and some of the men, including my Great Uncle had already fought at and survived The Somme. Would you be planning to include a Roll of Honour to remember the men.

Please keep us posted!

Sue

Hi Sue - certainly will include a roll of honour as long as people send me the details I will post them - I agree with the comments about your Great Uncle - many had already fought at the Somme and they should be remembered for everything they did during the course of the war not just certain battles.