Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity found

roger

Just thought I'd share this.

On one of the local village war memorials I have been researching of the 13 names one has remained elusive, that is until today. He isn't on CWGC or SDGW and all leads drew a blank.

Whilst looking at a handwritten exercise book, date unknown but probably from the 30's, in the localmuseum which lists all old boys of the grammar school there he was. Listed as wounded serving in the Machine Gun Corps. Further research showed he died in April 1935.

I know there are quite a few forum members researching their local memorials who have elusive men so this sort of thing could be a possibility. It doesn't look as if his name was added to the memorial at a later date either.

Roger

if he died as result of the war then no reason why not to include him later on

Your right of course it's just I really didn't expect his name to turn up where it did, I was actually looking for someone else, H Hind, the subject of another thread and 1935 was later than I would've imagined to be included.

Roger.

Its a job well done that you found who he was

Yes, it's been a good day for research. You can't beat a rainy day in the museum :D

Roger.

Good result. You just have to keep plugging away.

The ones that really used to irritate me wernt so much the names I couldn't identify, but the ones who I'd positively identified, but couldn't connect to the locality. I don't fuss so much these days now the projetc is that much bigger. Far too many F Smiths to lose too much sleep over.

You say though that it doesnt look as though his name was added later? What was the date of construction of the memorial? I'm only curious as post-1935 is late for one.

John

Hi John, the man in question, Frederick G Hare, is sixth on a memorial of thirteen that are listed alphabetically. It doesn't look as if it could have been added at a later date I don't know when the memorial was erected but it would appear to be quite late.

I have a couple of names that I am having trouble in connecting to the locality too.

Roger.

Roger

At the risk of telling you how you might suck eggs.........

......possibly you need to check when it was built - just to confirm that he is, indeed, your man (and not some other F G Hare still waiting to be discovered). Apologies for this - as I know it will now have sown the seeds of doubt in your mind on a day when you should be patting yuorself on the back.

John

Yes John, I am 99.9% sure it is him but I do need to find how old it is.

Cheers,

Roger.

As a matter of interest, what village memorial is it?

Mick

As a matter of interest, what village memorial is it?

Mick

Mick, The memorial is in Snape, a village 3 miles from Bedale North Yorkshire.

Roger.