Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Welsh (1st Rhondda) & 13th Welsh (2nd Rhondda)

Garron

Hey Pals

Kinda unsure where to put this, as it book and unit related. :D

I would like to start researching Both Rhonnda battlions as I live in the Rhondda and theres just something drawing me to them. As i could research anything really

I have ordered Mametz the Battlefield Europe book off Tom Morgan.

And i was just wondering are there any books i should have to get to basics with them or the 114th Brigade as men from my town fell in both the 15th and 14th Battalion aswell. (as far I have researched)

Thanks

Garron

Hi Garron. The 14th Welsh was, of course, the Swansea Battalion and my book 'Swansea Pals' would give you a flavour of where the Rhondda's served (Somme (esp. Mametz Wood), Passchendaele (day 1 on) and the advance to victory).

I mention the Rhonddas in passing where appropriate and have a few items in the loft (I think) from the National Archives - one or two after action reports, not much. If I can help in any way let me know.

The Welsh Regiment raised over 30 battalions in the Great War and only - I think - 4 or 5 have had their histories done. Get stuck in - and remember the Welsh!

Bernard

Get stuck in - and remember the Welsh!

Bernard

Hear, Hear. people assume its all known.....it is...but not all put together...for the individual battalions.

Hywyn

I understand that a chap has been researching the 16th (Cardiff) Bn and hopes to publish some day. The 11th has been done (the Cardiff Commercials I think) as well as the 6th; the 14th too(!) but I think that is it.

Out of 35 wartime bns if I remember correctly. A lot of gaps...

Bernard