Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Operation Hagen-Germany's last chance in the West

Mark Hone

Can any forum member suggest a good source for Operation 'Hagen', the proposed German offensive in Flanders in the summer of 1918? The offensive, supposedly the culmination of Ludendorff's series of attacks in 1918 was of course never carried out, but I would be interested in seeing an outline German ORBAT and plan for the battle. I know that this is a pretty obscure request but the estimable contributors to this forum have never let me down before!

Hello Mark,

You have an extremely interesting question here. Getting an answer won't be that easy. I'm looking for sources about this operation too. There are some references to it in the memoirs of Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria, indicating that five divisions were given to his Heeresgruppe (Group of Armies) on the 14th of June 1918: 26. Infanterie-Division, 200. Infanterie-Division and three Kavallerie-Schützen-Divisionen (former cavalry divisions that were reorganized in infantry divisions). The most of the other troops (especially artillery) for the operation were not yet present. I know however that Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 268 was training for the attack in the area.

I guess you can find an ORBAT in the archives of the Heeresgruppe Rupprecht in Munich. However, from his memoirs, it seems that a lot was promised, but very little given, so they had to change plans and ORBATs continuously.

Jan

Do you know if this book also contains some information about 'The battle of the Scherpenberg' , end april 1918 ?

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

It's not mentioned in the index, Gilbert, whereas Kemmel is mentioned 6 times. I've skimmed through the chapter for the second half of april, and did not see anything about the SCHERPENBERG.

Gilbert,

Do you need anything in particular about the Scherpenberg?

Jan

Thanks for having a look in that book. The Scherpenberg is not far away from Kemmel and the Kemmelberg. Both places are part of the German Spring Offensive of 1918. I heard or I read somewhere that the first war monuments in (or on the) Kemmel(berg) will be repaired or cleaned. Is this (already) done?

Between both places (Scherpenberg and Kemmelberg) there is a demarcation stone of ww1.

I am not looking for anything 'particular' regarding The Scherpenberg, but I remain interested in that area.

The 'Hagen' operation does interest me.

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I've long been fascinated by Mount Kemmel, catching glimpses of it while touring the Salient. It always seems to pour with rain when I try to go there, just as the sun always seems to shine when I visit Tyne Cot. The time I included it in my school battlefields tour itinerary, in 2000, the heavens opened and I had to abandon the visit completely. I finally got to the top with my wife this October, again in torrential rain. The hotels on the Kemmelberg seem to have seen better days, but there were surveyors and workmen in evidence on the lower slopes. The French memorial and Ossuaire seemed in pretty good shape if apparently little visited. It is a very atmospheric place and it would be a pity if development spoiled it like other areas of the Ypres salient.