Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Hampshire

Peter Beckett

I recently visited the old Lyness Naval Base at Scapa Flow in the Orkneys and on a beautiful Orkneys day took these 2 pics

Peter

post-163-1155903190.jpg

And I did not lie about the beautiful Orkneys day as this was typical while I was there (about 4 weeks ago)

Peter :P

post-163-1155903305.jpg

Did you get a picture of the memorial cairn to K of K/Hms Hampshire? If so is there any chance of posting it?

post-12111-1155907529.jpg

Don't wish to muscle in on someone else's post but I was in Orkney this year and the last and have a picture of Kitchener's memorial tower on Marwick Head. (I don't think you would call it a cairn! There were a family of ravens nesting on it when I was there and on my way down met Bill Oddie with a camera crew in tow going up!) I've never posted a picture before so - fingers crossed :huh:

Ian

If you want someone to talk to about HMS Hampshire, the wreck and her discovery then drop a line to John Thornton via www.scapaflow.com. John is the man who pioneered diving at the flow and discovered the wreck of the Hampshire. He's got a bit of bad press about this because (unbeknownst to him) some divers he took to the site pre-protection order lifted a porthole from the sea bed and sent the pics to a diving mag. Very, very knowledgable guy.

Also google for some pics and more info.

The Hampshire, an Armoured Cruiser, 10,850 tons, built 1905, sank on 5th June 1916 after hitting a mine laid by the German U-boat U 75 off W coast of Orkney Islands, Scotland, Atlantic Ocean, whilst taking Kitchener and his staff to Russia. There were no survivors.

Best wishes

David

Hello

From the official narrative published by HMSO in 1926. The book sold for 6d then. Cost a couple pennies more than that when I bought it.

Survivours

Bennet, William Warrant Mechanician

Bowman, John Robert A.B. J 15315 (Po)

Buerdsell, Horace Llewellyn A.B. J 15526 (Po)

Cashman, William L/Seaman 228580 (Po)

Farndon, Walter Charles Stoker 1c K 18337 (Po)

Phillips, William Charles Shipwright 1c 343500 (Po)

Read, Alfred Ernest Stoker 1c K 15762 (Po)

Rogerson, Charles Walter L/Seaman 236059 (Po)

Simpson, Richard A.B., RNVR Tyne Z 5589

Sims, Frederick Lot Stoker 1c SS 113673 (Po)

Sweeney, Samuel Edward Petty Officer 1c 155874 (Po)

Wesson, Wilfred Petty Officer 201136 (Po)

All best

don

There’s also a salvaged deck gun at the Marwick Head car park. The plaque reads, “A Vickers pattern 3lb Recoil MK 2 deck gun salvaged from the wreck of HMS Hampshire”.

Regards

Mark

post-1549-1156018866.jpg