The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC (Lab Coy) North'd Fus - what does this mean?

HelenV

Hi

After looking at my grandfather's medal index card - one of the corps he was in was ASC (Lab Coy) North'd Fus - what does this stand for and what did they do? In 1915 he was transferred to Royal Army Service Corp G Company 5th - someone told me they built railways - is this correct?

Thanks very much,

HelenV

HelenV,

Could you please give a name and regimental number and I'll take a look at the MIC, as the ASC and Northumberland Fusiliers are two different units, so I'm interested to see whats been put on the card.

Graham.

Hi Graham

Thanks for offering to help.

His name was Thomas Rogers and his regimental number is 251660

I found the following entry in the 1918 Absent voters list - 251660 Spr.,G. Coy., 5th (R.), R.E.

Cheers

HelenV

HelenV,

Thanks for those details and I've looked at the Medal Index Card on-line and there is no mention of service with the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Thomas originally joined the Army Service Corps(which became Royal after the war) as SS/6882. The letters infront can infact give you a clue as to what department of the ASC he served in, but you'd after ask our ASC researchers.

Some time during the war he's been transferred to the Royal Engineers as 251660 Sapper Thomas Rogers and at the time his name appears in the Absent Voters List, he's serving at with 'G' Coy, 5th(Railway)Battalion,Royal Engineers., which was still serving in France in 1918.

His actual Service Records, if they have survived, would give the actual names of other units he served with during his time in the Army.

Graham.

Hi Graham

Thanks for confirming the 5th battalion was a railway comapny.

As I said the abbreviation was on the medal index card I downloaded off the internet - so I don't know what its referring to.

HelenV

HelenV,

You'll have to try and post the Medal Index Card here, so that members can try and decypher any of the coding, which in reality does direct you to the Medal Roll Books, where he would be listed.

Graham.

SS - ASC prefix Supply second s refers to a particular trade skill

I always thought it meant special skill which is pretty close

• 1 year later...
SS - ASC prefix Supply second s refers to a particular trade skill

I always thought it meant special skill which is pretty close

any idea what TH before a persons number in the ASC would mean?

any idea what TH before a persons number in the ASC would mean?

It doesn't occur in the list I have but could it be either T/1 or T/4, badly written or wrongly transcribed? Both of these were used by New Army horse transport units, of which there were many.

Graham -

Just a thought, and maybe a red herring, but might he have been working for the North Eastern Railway and joined 17/NF, the NER Pioneers? If he was transferred from there into the ASC or the RE railways section before going abroad then the NF connection would not appeas on his MIC.

Ron

If he was working for the NER,then he didn't enlist into the 17th Bn, NF as no Thomas Rogers or even Rodgers can be found on the battalions Nominal Roll. Nor can I find one serving with the 32nd Bn, NF, which was the 17th's Reserve Battalion. Would also have to know where he came from as a lot of NER men did enlist into other units and I do have list, but unfortunately it's in the UK.