Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fun back in Funding

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Who is up for a challenge and put the fun back in funding all for a laugh with a prize for the winner and it’s us who benefit.

I have been given permission to run this crazy scheme.

The task is to raise as much money for the website for a measly £2.00. That’s all £2.00

The winner is the person who, by hook or by crook (but lets avoid the crook if possible) to raise the most money for the forum with the £2.00

The rules You are not allowed to spend over £2.00 and you must have as much proof of the spending as you can, therefore telephone calls are hard to prove. If you do a car boot sale the £2.00 is not included in the price of entry, entrance fee is separate.

You could send a letter to a company or companies to beg for an item or items and sell them on ebay or on here first or at a car boot sale. You may wish to use £2.00 for advertising and have a fund raising disco or dance in the local boozer and charge entry fee. You may wish to buy something at a car boot for 2 quid sell it for 3 and so on until you have amassed a total you think could win you the star prize. It’s up to you.

Picture of the special prize to be posted soon.

Please add your names below if you are up for it, or can see any unforeseen problems.

The closing date for information as to how much you have raised is the 30th of November so you could start your plans as of now.

Kevin

Forgive me for asking and no offence intended to anyone involved in the website but what would the money actually be used for?

Never having set up a website myself I am probably ignorant of what monetary costs are involved but I am curious to know.

Liam

The main costs of a website are first the actual design of the site, somebody's got to do it and if nothing else considerable time is involved.

Then there is hosting - the site has to be on a server (computer) connected to the internet so we can see it.

A very high traffic website like this uses a lot of bandwidth, sort of like a toll road with lots of pages/cars going along it.

Then there is maintenance. Keeping pages up to date, upgrading forum software (another cost). general cleaning up etc.

Having run websites myself I can only say Chris (et al) are doing a remarkable job. There is a LOT more involved than it looks.

Oh and the beer, women and fags fund :D

zoo

Hi Zoo,

I agree, Chris and the other people involved do an excellent job.

I know that the time given alone must be immense but I didn't realise what costs were involved as well.

Liam

Forgive me for asking and no offence intended to anyone involved in the website but what would the money actually be used for?

Liam

As Chris points out on a seperate thread the licence for just the chat room is over £100 per year.

Andy