Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

whats he being awarded

manchester regiment

what medal is this man talking about.

in a letter to his parents,pte john tetlow of the ashton territorials,9th manchesters says,i am told i am to receive two medals in a couple of days,one is for being part of the honour guard for the sultan on the day he was made suktan and the other with a BAR is for fighting with the indians at ismalia,i am one of only 16 men and two cpls who will get the medal with bar for this action.hes only 18 so its doubtful hes talking about a TF medal and its too early for the 1914-15 star,whats he describing,anyone any ideas,he was killed in a bayonet charge on the turkish trenches on 7-6-15,so his letter must have been wrote before this,bernard

not a mention in soldiers died as to an award

do you have the MIC to confirm a date first entered a theatre of war ?

Ismailia is located midway between Port - Said port on the Mediterranean sea and Suez port on the Red Sea - what theatre is this ?

I would suspect the Medal with Clasp would be one of the Khedive's Medals for Sudan [1910],for various actions before & during WW1,there where two Cyphers on this Medal as the Khedive was changed.

Most medals were awarded to British Officers & to Indian or Sudanese/Egyptian Troops however a few British Men & NCOs were awarded this medal,especially that for Darfur 1916.

The other award sounds like it may well have been a "Coronation" type medal

His age and death narrows this down a bit

Sudan 1912 - unlikely - too young

Zeraf 1913-14

Mandal 1914

Miri April 1915

just noticed many are patrol strength units - how bigs a patrol ? 16 men and 2 Cpl seems the right sort of size

his battalion went to egypt in sept 1914,does this help,another soldier who received the medal hints at patrolling along the lines of supply for the indian forces,bernard

That leaves Miri April 1915 - unless the letter is pre ww1

The only thing with these Khedive Medals to European Soldiers is that they are generally to "Odd" men,& he may,if it is indeed one of these have been attached,to the Force as an NCOs;Instructors,Officers servant,Signaller,etc;as no British Units received them per se,{A few RFC & ASC men did get the 1916 Darfur Medal & Clasp as small operating Flying Duties & Transport units,but that is too late for your man}

He may well have been atached from his unit following their arrival in Egypt,the theare is rightt,as is the time.

His Medal Index card "should" note any award of the Khedive's Medal,as would the Roll

A couple of ww1 Coldstream Gsd officers got medals for the 1896-1908 with clasps - Ive read that ORs got them too but not managed to find any rolls with them on it - just the officers

i missed this bit,he says that 4 men from each coy and 2 cpls went to fight with the indians at ismalia,i think you could be both right about april,juggleing the info round would date his letter home as may 1915,he would be unable to write home while away with this force and he was dead by the 7th june,bernard

Hi Bernard

I have had a look in the Lancashire Fighting Territorials for the 9th Batt, & he is not down, & i have look in the Volunteer Infantry 9th Battn history, hes in the roll of honour,and on the medal roll but on other medals then the Star, BWM& VM.

hiya roy.this is him

pte john tetlow

1/9th manchesters

179 edge lane,droylsden

promising heavyweight boxer,he managed pte sammy bonsall when he had his fight with the champion of the south australian contingent in egypt,he knocked him out in 4 rounds.

worked at messrs crossleys,droylsden,before that,he was a telegraph boy at openshaw P.O

member of crossley lads club

age 18

he was awarded a medal as part of the sultans guard of honour on the day he was made sultan

he was part of a detatchment of 16 men and two cpls who went with the indians to ismalia and awarded a medal with bar for this action.

he was killed in a bayonet charge on turkish trenches on 7-6-15

buried in redoubt cemetery,grave XII.B.6

he says that he is one of only 16 men from the batt who will get a bar for the medal,not all the batt went to ismalia,that was his last letter home.

bernard

Definitely an Index Card & Roll job;

the Sudan Roll hopefully will clarify his entitlenent

Hi

If he was a young lad, he may have heard some of the old soldiers chating about medals to be issue for the War, and got it in his mind he was up for a medal with bar, and in hes enthusiasm wrote to his Mam & Dad, telling them he was up for a medal with bar. Cheers Roy

heres another of those 18 men.

pte frank goddard

1/9th

885 then 350071

union st,ashton

on 19-8-1915 he was admitted to hospital at alexandra with colic and diarrhoea,he was reported as dangerously ill,he had been part of the section of 1/9th sent to act as convoy for the indian exp force while going through the suez canal,

bernard