Tabarnacl Welsh Baptist Chapel

Tan-Y-Bryn School

Town Hall Llandudno South African War Memorial

Y Rhyfel Mawr 1914-1919 Cofeb

Ysgol John Bright, Llandudno

Oh, no there isn't!

Steve.

works for me

will have a good look as I have a medal to a chap from here and he is nt on the main memorial - H I Powell

Cheers

he isnt there! :(

Don't understand this at all.

I simply can't get into anything on the Council's website using Internet Explorer, but have no problem using AOL's own browser.

Off to scratch me head for a while.

J

Don't understand this at all.

I simply can't get into anything on the Council's website using Internet Explorer, but have no problem using AOL's own browser.

Off to scratch me head for a while.

J

Not got a "net nanny" set to high have you? My old school IT system wouldnt let you look at anything with "sex" in it - Middlesex etc etc wasnt possible!

he isnt there! :(

What do you know about Powell? I may be able to help, being 'local' and all.

John - the link is probably not working for you because you make fun of the Welsh language!!

John

I think "hguk ivv!" may be Icelandic.

I base this initially on the fact that there are no 'v's in the Modern Welsh and certainly not two together ( plenty of other double letters though.

The clincher though is the spelling. Any welsh schoolboy would tell you that there is no g before u except after q.

Hywyn

<tongueincheeksmilie>

Andrew,

Good to know this information is available.

I used to own the 1914 Star & Bar Trio of Pte G.F.Sanford of Penrhynside - he was KIA at the 1st battle of Ypres Oct 1914 when his unit the 1st RWF were overrun.

A few comments - the transcription of some of the Welsh has resulted in some errors, though not as many as on the National Inventory's online Anglesey listings which reduce some memorial inscriptions to gibberish.

The entry Y Rhyfel Mawr just means "The Great War" - it's the heading on top of the plaque, but the actual dedication is to a couple of chapels called Siloh and Hyfrydle, so maybe that ought to be changed?

Lastly did you know that Llandudno issued its own version of a Memorial Plaque to families of the Great War dead? From recollection, it was circular and larger than the "Dead Man's Penny" but stamped from some thinner bronze sheeting which was then mounted on a rectangular wooden backing. A panel was provided as on the DMP for the name to be engraved. I know there are a few at the Gwynedd County Record Office at Caernarfon, and have seen some unnamed "specimen" versions besides (one may be at the North Wales Museum in Bangor).

Thanks again for drawing attention to this useful link.

LST_164

Penrhynside is also listed here

Chris

Lastly did you know that Llandudno issued its own version of a Memorial Plaque to families of the Great War dead? From recollection, it was circular and larger than the "Dead Man's Penny" but stamped from some thinner bronze sheeting which was then mounted on a rectangular wooden backing. A panel was provided as on the DMP for the name to be engraved. I know there are a few at the Gwynedd County Record Office at Caernarfon, and have seen some unnamed "specimen" versions besides (one may be at the North Wales Museum in Bangor).

LST_164

That's very interesting. Redruth, Cornwall also produced it's own version of a memorial plaque. It took me 20 years to acquire one. But I wonder how many other places also produced it's own memorial plaque.

Andrew,

I know quite a bit about him - just didnt find a picture in the paper

From the Llandudno Advertiser 1916. “The Toll of War. Death of a Llandudno man at the front. We learn with unfeigned regret of the death of our townsman, Horace Illes Powell, son of the late Mr HS Powell, Neville Crescent. The official notice was received by the relatives on the 7th inst, from the Headquarters of the Coldstream Guards, of which regiment the deceased was a private. The cause of death was killed in action.

Lt E Overton-Jones writing to Mr WA Powell, brother, who resided until a comparatively recent date at West Shore says “I very much regret to have to tell you of the death of your brother, who was hit by a shell last when out working with my platoon. I do not think he suffered at all, as death was instantaneous. I am very sorry indeed to lose him, as I always found him a good soldier and willing worker. it may be some consolation to you o know that he died as befits as guardsman”. Pte Jas Wormley, a comrade of the deceased writes “It is with the deepest regret that my first letter to you should be of such unfortunate character: for it is my duty to inform you of the death of my best chum, your brother HI Powell. He was killed by a shell Thursday night 10-30 (30/3/16) two more chums being seriously wounded. We all went with our party to repair a broken trench when we were subjected to a terrible bombardment just after 10pm which lasted 15 to 20 minutes. Horace was immediately taken to a dressing station and the doctor pronounces life extinct. All the platoon was shocked to hear of how they had been deprived of such a good comrade, for he was everybody’s friend. my heart goes out to you, your mother , sister etc, for I know how dearly he was loved by you all, as, by his upright and unassuming nature, he was loved by us all. I was his mate at Caterham, Windsor and all the time we have been out here. I am the same person who brought Horace to see your mother, and I believe your wife, when they visited Windsor barracks to see him, just before we came out here last August. I cannot tell you how sorry I am to lose such a pal as he was to me, and I am sue you have the deepest sympathy of all who knew him out here, especially that of the platoon”.

If you've done the local paper then I doubt I can offer you anything more. Presumably he was one of those men whose family, for whatever reason, did not want him commemorated on a memorial.

It took 5 mins to find the article - practically put in the fiche and found it

I have thought that "..who resided until a comparatively recent date..." meant they moved away and thats why hes not recorded