Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attd RFC

Michael

During my research of Buffs officers I have found that some of them were attached to the RFC.

Why would they be attached as opposed to transferred ?

Michael

I would guess that these officers were training to be observers. Before the training of aircrew other than pilots, especially in 1914/1915, had become standardised, the RFC had a severe shortage of qualified observers. They offered incentives (an extra 3 shillings a day) for any officer who trained to be an observer - this very often meant front line service almost straight away. The course was for 3 weeks. The best were actively "encouraged" to transfer permanently to the RFC. There were thus 3 standards of observer:

1. Fully qualified, and listed on the strength of the squadron - 8 per squadron

2. 2 under training

3. Those not needed or not upto scratch were returned back to their original units to act as a reserve to be called upon as required.

I could of course be completely wrong - depends if you have any more details about them that could shed a bit more light.

Steve

During my research of Buffs officers I have found that some of them were attached to the RFC.

Why would they be attached as opposed to transferred ?

I believe this is one of those “English-isms” about the British army that we outsiders consider so fascinating. I speak only to be corrected, but I believe the story goes something like this: An officer was commissioned, not into the army as a whole, but into his particular regiment. When he was posted somewhere else, such as to the Royal Flying Corps, he was merely “attached” to the RFC while remaining on the books of his original regiment.

This could result in some practical complications. For example, if the officer was promoted (in the RFC), he had to wait for a vacancy in his original regiment before his acting rank was confirmed. There was much hard feelings among Canadian officers attached to the RFC because, as they were paid by their original units, they were not entitled to flying pay which existed in the British service but not in the Canadian.

I am sure there are better explanations.

I believe that this practice was also referred to as "seconding". It made the RFC a colorful and confusing lot. Officers who were seconded to the RFC were trained both as pilots and observers. They were entitled to wear the insignia and uniforms of their original batallions. It also resulted in captains and majors who were seconded having less responsibility than officers with junior rank who had more experience in the RFC. All of this resulted from the need to expand the RFC and fill the ranks depleted by casualties. As the war progressed more men enlisrted directly into the RFC.

Guest Tom Brearley

I believe James is right. If I recall correctly, I think Albert Ball was a Sherwood Forester and Mick Mannock a Royal Engineer, both attd. RFC.

By contrast James McCudden enlisted in the RFC pre-war and so was never on attachment.

Tom

Tom,

Correct on all counts.

Lanoe Hawker, RE, as another example.

regards

Darryl

(Still looking at the 'Flanders' section of Unsereluft, wish I could read German!!)

• 7 months later...
By contrast James McCudden enlisted in the RFC pre-war and so was never on attachment.

Sorry for being a bit late on this one, and I always assumed McCudden's transfer to the RFC had been on a permanent basis as well.

However according to his biographer, Christopher Cole, Jim McCudden's VC was credited in the army roll and not the RFC/RAF roll as Jim McCudden had been on secondment to the RFC from the RE during his entire operational flying.

My interpretation of this is that his transfer only became permanent when the RAF was formed on 1 April 1918 and when Jim was back in the UK. He was killed whilst en-route to his next operational posting 9 July 1918.