Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marching Chocolate

George Armstrong Custer

Picked up a bar of this in Tesco's today:

caleys.jpg

On the reverse of the wrapper it states:

'Caley's Marching Chocolate. A. J. Caley began chocolate manufacture in Norwich over a century ago. Caley's Marching Chocolate, a high quality plain chocolate recipe, was developed around the time of the Great War to form a major part of the sustaining diet for the troops. When released to public sale Marching Chocolate quickly became a fashionable product of the times and gained particular popularity as a nourishing snack for sportsmen and outdoor activists and again was used by troops in the Second World War. Today Caley's of Norwich Ltd. have created a product which reproduces the high quality values of those times and is proud once again to offer Caley's Marching Chocolate for everybody to enjoy.'

So, for 99p I had a taste of the Great War - and delicious it was too!

Ciao,

GAC

George.

We had this stuff with us on the recent somme trip..even when the heat was getting up to the 90's the stuff was stiil intact and not melted..great stuff.

Andy

While the Officers enjoyed Bendinck's Sporting & Military chocolate no doubt.

Thankyou, dear George, for giving me an excuse for buying chocolate

:)

(Thinks, picturing the scene, how is Marching Chocolate broken for consumption on the march?)

Guest KevinEndon
Thankyou, dear George, for giving me an excuse for buying chocolate

:)

(Thinks, picturing the scene, how is Marching Chocolate broken for consumption on the march?)

Big pieces. Less to share. Chocolate mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Kate,

Place the chocolate on a table in front of you. Stand to attention. In the voice of an R.S.M. you bellow "Form Squares".

'Tis done. :lol:

Enjoy,

Ian

Ah, Kate, you are most welcome - tho' I can't be held responsible the next time you step on the bathroom scales!

Squirrel - is the Bendinck's stuff still in production too d'you know?

Andy - that's fantastic, actually taking Caley's Marching Chocolate back to the Somme (I wondered what was in your saddlebags in those photo's of you on the Somme ride!) [bTW - I owe you a call.]

Ian - :lol: - you had me choking in my coffee with that one! Proves that a joke that can be told in any company can still be a hoot!

Regards,

GAC

Dear George,

Please control yourself! I don't think I could stand the shame of being the cause of 'Custer's Last Coffee' :P

Ian

Marching chocolate! Chocolate that marches to your door, sounds fantastic! :D

I have heard that British troops burned chocolate during the Crimean War to keep warm. Did this ever take place during the First World War?

Jon :)

Picked up a bar of this in Tesco's today: snipped

So, for 99p I had a taste of the Great War - and delicious it was too!

MMMMMMMM, tasty! And with a 10% staff discount it sounds even better (especially as tomorrow is time for the monthly shopping trip) :D

GAC - last saw the Sporting & Military Chocolate in a shop in the West End of London years ago - bought some and was not overly impressed.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was not still available at Fortnum's, Harrods or Selfridges though.

Excellent.

Can this be found in all branches of Tescos?

My little lads will go mad for this.

Steve

Looks like Tesco will be having a sudden demand for this tonight then!

Will there be a similar rush for Fray Bentos Corned Beef?

I wonder if they do Maconochie's beef & vegetable stew?

If you visit Norwich, Caley's have a restaurant in the old Guildhall in the City centre opposite Tesco Metro.

The Norfolk Regimental Museum is also well worth a visit.

George.

We had this stuff with us on the recent somme trip..even when the heat was getting up to the 90's the stuff was stiil intact and not melted..great stuff.

Andy

Tastes good too. My spare bar has lasted all the way through last month's heat wave without problems. It's the crunchy asbestos centre that does it.

Pity I didn't have some at Kelmarsh this weekend, "chocs away" would have been very appropriate.

'Fraid not. It appears that the Extra stores (the largest of Tesco's stores) might be the only places you can get them. Jean and I had a look today in our normal sized store but there wasn't one to be seen.

Excellent.

My little lads will go mad for this.

Steve

I bought it in a fairly large Tesco supermarket, Steve; but I notice our local Tesco Metro doesn't stock it - so it may be that only the larger stores carry it.

Regards,

GAC

post-13272-1155980132.jpg

Talking of buying stuff after being attracted by the label ?? heres 1 of a few i sampled earlier!!!!! also from that wonderful emporium tescos.

It's the crunchy asbestos centre that does it.

Is there something that we are not being told about regarding this chocolate? :lol:

Jon

Talking of buying stuff after being attracted by the label ?? heres 1 of a few i sampled earlier!!!!! also from that wonderful emporium tescos.

Hmmmm - always liked Sam Smith's - and that label (forget the ABV) would sell that brew to me no problem B)

Jim