Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Neuville St Vaast german cemetery

Matt Dixon

I wonder if any of the pals could help me as it is a long time since I did GCSE German! In the above cemetery there is a memorial with the legend "Ich hat ein kamaraden, einen bessern findest du nicht."

I heard it was a peice of poetry by Schiller, if so what does it mean. If it's not Schiller then who is it?

I looked over the link and I disagree with the first line regarding 'battle' and 'song' as words in the first line. My translation simply shows it as 'I had a comrade, None better you could find', (Ich hatte ein Kamerad...). I am not sure where the other two words came from. Just my opinion mind you.

Ralph

Ralph,

Peace! Here is another one :

I had a comrade,

A better one you will not find.

The drum beat to to the battle,

He marched by my side

In the same step and stride.

In the same step and stride.

A bullet came flying;

Is it meant for me or for you?

It has struck him down,

He lies at my feet

As if he were a part of me.

As if he were a part of me.

He wants yet to reach his hand to me,

Just as I am loading.

I cannot give you my hand,

Remain in eternal life

My good comrade!

My good comrade!

Silcher....Schiller......easy mistake to make! Perhaps I shouldn't have had that second glass of scotch before I tried to do my research.

Anyway, thanks to the Pals for the information.

I have always felt that it is one of those phrases that loses so much in translation. I have always taken it to mean the unexplainable about comradeship in adversity and in war celebrating that association that old soldiers share till their dying day.

I'm probably not explaining this well but I am probably trying to explain the unexplainable.

Martin

Well there are several different English translations out there. Personally I admit that only the German version really hits the point of true camaraderie as Martin also pointed out. For those of you who are interested: in the following list I copied 3 different English versions; pick up the one you like best and the one that fits best your emotions:

• In battle he was my comrade, None better I have had. The drum called us to fight, He always on my right,|: In step through good and bad. :| A bullet it flew towards us, For him or meant for me? His life from mine it tore, At my feet a piece of gore,|: As if a part of me. :| His hand reached up to hold mine. I must re-load my gun. „My friend I can not ease your pain, In life eternal we’ll meet again,|: And walk once more as one." :|
  • In battle I had a comrade, You won't find a better one. The drum called us to fight, He always walked at my side, In step through good and bad. In step through good and bad. A bullet flew towards us, Is it for me or for you? It tore his life away, He lies now at my feet, As though a part of me. As though a part of me. His hand reached up to hold mine. While I am re-loading. "I can't give you my hand, You stay in eternal life, My good comrade! My good comrade!
  • I had a comrade, A better one you will not find. The drum beat to the battle, He marched by my side In the same step and stride. In the same step and stride. A bullet came flying; Is it meant for me or for you? It has struck him down, He lies at my feet As if he were a part of me. As if he were a part of me. He wants yet to reach his hand to me, Just as I am loading. I cannot give you my hand, Remain in eternal life My good comrade! My good comrade!
Also I have added an excellent link with the underlying music theme - play it in total, song theme starts in middle portion!

I will listen to it in reality at the occasion of Remembrance Day 2003 far away from my home country on the grounds of a WW II German/Italian POW cemetery in the deepest woods of Alabama. I participate as an active duty soldier in his 3rd generation, and I can assure you that the one or other tear will flow in honor of Ich hatt' einen Kameraden"