Jonah Lewis - Stop the Cavalry

Will O'Brien

And can we please stop talking about it [Two Little Boys] as it makes me cry :D

I can only think of the I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue "censored" version:

Two little boys had two little [beep]

each had a wooden [beep]

etc, etc.

Jim :lol:

I've just come from the Poetry section on the Classics thread, where I read 'O Mother of Mine'. It reminded me somewhat of the song Neil Reid won Opportunity Knocks with in the early 70s ['quivering lip and lower jaw'-Neil Reid, not me].

However, my question is not about Neil Reid [although, it could be], but about songs that have been re-issued or covered, which either pre-date or were written during the First World War.

I'm thinking here of 'Sweet Sixteen' and 'Maggie' by 'Davy Arthur and the Fureys' [1981], and the one which Mike or Dave Berry released a year earlier, though whose name escapes me. [sunshine of Your Smile?]

Any suggestions, please?

Kind Regards,

Dave

[it's got to beat suffering 'Pop Idol'/'X-Factor']

Mike or Dave Berry released a year earlier, though whose name escapes me. [sunshine of Your Smile?]

It was Mike Berry* and the song was "The Sunshine of Your Smile" - spot on :) .

Jim

*Mike Berry, with the Outlaws, was a successful early 60s pop singer. Better known to a later generation as Bert Spooner in "Are You Being Served?" on t'telly.

He was a Buddy Holly soundalike, and Buddy recorded "Wait Till the Sun Shines Nellie" - now, was that pre-WW1? Just checked, and yep, it was a US hit in the 1890s.

More, please! :)

Thanks Jim,

Was Mike Berry the 'dozy-looking' one who replaced Trevor Bannister, and given 'Mr Grace' and 'Mr Grainger's' apparent [screen] age is there any military biog. on either? I've heard somewhere that 'Mr Grainger' was also the voice of Churchill.

Regards,

Dave

PS: Is that a young Johnny Mathis, or is it my eyesight?

Was Mike Berry the 'dozy-looking' one who replaced Trevor Bannister,

Yep, that's the one

PS: Is that a young Johnny Mathis, or is it my eyesight?

There is a slight similarity - but no, it's the late Arthur Lee, founder of 60s group Love, who died recently

given 'Mr Grace' and 'Mr Grainger's' apparent [screen] age is there any military biog. on either?

a bit of googling shows that Arthur Brough (Mr Grainger) was born 1905, and served in the RN in WW2; and Harold Bennett (young Mr Grace) was born 1899, died 1981. Dunno if the characters' war service or otherwise ever cropped up.

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by Jim Clay

I can only think of the I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue "censored" version:

Two little boys had two little [beep]

each had a wooden [beep]

etc, etc.

Jim :lol:

Nice one, Jim. I have a week away and come back to THIS!

I thought Two Little Boys was Boer War-related, but what do I know?

And why has no-one commented on the claim in Jack Howarth's biog that Bantams were for soldiers less than 6 feet tall?

I always thought that Rolf's (pause to genuflect) 2 Little Boys was about the Boer War?

I WAS Kaiser Bills batman.... :P

Chris C

At the risk of showing my age, I saw the above and thought of

"I Was Lord Kitchener's Valet" by the New Vaudeville Band (Not a No.1 - I admit)

BTW - "Two Little Boys" - I always get a Crimean War image

Tom

Nice one, Jim. I have a week away and come back to THIS!

And why has no-one commented on the claim in Jack Howarth's biog that Bantams were for soldiers less than 6 feet tall?

:D - welcome back. Hope your week was a good un, and that you found a palatable alternative to the black stuff. Haven't read JH's biography but I like that claim! :rolleyes:

Jim

(I note sadly that the "I'm Spartacus" skit fell flat on its mush)

What is there to comment on? It is true, after all.

Welcome back - hope you're refreshed and ready once more for the rough & tumble wot is Forum life. innit

John

No I am!

Look dont start that c**p with me, I am..someone get me the nails, I'll bring the wooden stuff

No, I am Kirk Douglas's son!!! :lol:

(Lovely story, if true. Lovely story if not ...)

Funnily enough, so's my wife!

I thought I was the only person ever to dare speak the names of Rolf Harris and Roger Whittaker in the same breath without any sense of irony....

I've got it worse - I'm actually related to Rolf. The shame, oh the shame.

Haven't read through the thread all the way through - anyone like 'Gallipoli' by The Fureys? I love that song. Great to hear another perspective on that campaign other than the perrenial Anzac one you get down this way.

Oh, and 'Green Fields of France', also The Fureys and Davey Arthur. That one always gives me goosebumps, even if it does get a bit overdone.

Allie

trust British Paints - sure can!

all these songs take me back to my mobile disco DJing in the 1970-80's.

personally I liked Cher's uniform on board ship 'If I could turn back time'

"personally I liked Cher's uniform on board ship 'If I could turn back time'"

But hardly regulation dress!

;)

Roxy

It might induce more sailors to sign up if their female compatriots were to dress that way. Of course, the numbers of women signing up would most likely decline rapidly at the same time...

Then again, that could be a good way to get those Dastardly Women out of the service where they [obviously, to some] don't belong.

Allie

No-one mentioned the naval bod in Village People ;)

<snip>

Haven't read through the thread all the way through - anyone like 'Gallipoli' by The Fureys? I love that song. Great to hear another perspective on that campaign other than the perrenial Anzac one you get down this way.

Is that the one also known as "And the Band played Waltzing Matilda"?

...Oh, and 'Green Fields of France', also The Fureys and Davey Arthur. That one always gives me goosebumps, even if it does get a bit overdone....

More properly called "No Man's Land'

If the Gallipoli song is the one I'm thinking off, they were both written and performed by Eric Bogle (Personally, I think that he does a better job than the Fureys) although, I must admit I prefer the June Tabor version of "No Man's Land" to Bogle's.

Tom

Allie,

Of course, the (UK) military is an equal opportunities employer and so, if the option to dress like Cher on USS Mississippi was to be made available, it would have to be available to all.

Not too sure if that's a good idea ;)

Roxy

PS However, you are correct that some individuals wish; 'If I Could Turn Back Time'. :rolleyes:

Is that the one also known as "And the Band played Waltzing Matilda"?

If the Gallipoli song is the one I'm thinking off, they were both written and performed by Eric Bogle (Personally, I think that he does a better job than the Fureys) although, I must admit I prefer the June Tabor version of "No Man's Land" to Bogle's.

Tom

No, the Gallipoli song is about the Irish, nothing to do with Australians. Lyrics as follows:

GALLIPOLI

(M. Swan/D. Doyle)

I remember the day it stands clear in my mind

We stood down at Dun Laoghaire to wave you good-bye

Your Ma stood quietly weeping, there was a tear in my eye

As they sent you to Gallipoli to die

Chorus:

You were all that we had, your mammy and me

When you marched head erect, you were proud as could be

And it killed your poor me and it slowly killed me

When you were blown to kingdom come, on the shores of Gallipoli

Chorus

We only got the one letter and we knew right away

It said, 'Deepest regrets, your son was bold and he was brave'

You were only nineteen yet your Mammy and I

Let you go to Gallipoli to die

Chorus

You fought for the wrong country, you fought for the wrong cause

And your Ma often said it was Ireland's great loss

All those fine young men who marched to foreign shores to fight the wars

When the greatest war of all was at home

Chorus

Actually, there seems to be some confusion as to when the song was written as Dun Laoghaire was still called 'Kingstown' during WW1.

This song, and more specifically when it was written, is keeping us busy for some time now. Instinctively we think it is an anti-recruitment song from the First World War and therefore written between 1915 and 1918. The use of the name Dún Laoghaire is riddling though. At the time of the First World War this port near Dublin was commonly known as Kingstown, a name granted in 1821 by King George IV to honour his own visit to Ireland. In ancient times however the village was already known as Dún (Fort) of King Laoghaire and initially the Anglo-Saxons anglicised this name to Dunlary, or Dunleary. The ancient name was reintroduced after the Irish independence in the 1920's.

Hence, is the song written between the Battle at Gallipoli in 1915 and the end of the First Word War in 1918 and used the authors the ancient - Irish - name or is the song written well after the First World War in the 1920's?

My Irish history of the period is a little rusty, but I'm not sure there was actually much organised fighting going on in Ireland, really, until the Easter Uprising of 1916?

Allie

What is there to comment on? It is true, after all.

Welcome back - hope you're refreshed and ready once more for the rough & tumble wot is Forum life. innit

John

I guess, you're right, Mr H: after all, King's Company, Grenadier Guards contains only blokes over 4' 6"!

I blame this thread. All right, partially this thread and partially the fact I've been not quite compos mentis because of flu.

Today I went and bought a Rolf Harris CD. The only reason I didn't buy a Roger Whittaker one to go with it was that they didn't have one in stock.

Of course, I told the shop assistant it was for my mother and pointed out that at least I wasn't looking for a Nana Mouskouri CD. :ph34r:

(By the by, I'm not actually sure the assistant knew who either Roger Whittaker or Nana Mouskouri are.)

Allie

Of course, I told the shop assistant it was for my mother and pointed out that at least I wasn't looking for a Nana Mouskouri CD. :ph34r:

Oddly, Allie, you're not alone. Some years ago, I had to purchase the official "Wham" calendar for a neice's Xmas pressie. I said to the attractive young lady behind the counter "It's for my niece, you know", to she responded with a very laconic "Yeah...they all say that". :(