Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Difficult to see - any ideas.

corcam

Dear All,

I have found a very faded photo which may be of 4 brothers and their father - 3 served in the forces. I have touched it up as best as I can (not very good) but wondered if anyone can see anything that would help identify or age.

Thanks so much

Cheers

Corcam

post-12783-1155667982.jpg

Hello Corcam

They are a fine rustic family. :rolleyes:

The bottom left brother has two chevrons on his sleeve and the bottom right has what appears to be crossed rifles. Would this tie in with your knowledge of the service records?

At a pure guess (and it is a guess), I would say that the photo is post war and the hill billies are getting the maximum wear out of their old uniforms. :lol:

Regards

Mel

post-859-1155669306.jpg

The bottom left brother has two chevrons on his sleeve and the bottom right has what appears to be crossed rifles. Would this tie in with your knowledge of the service records?

At a pure guess (and it is a guess), I would say that the photo is post war and the hill billies are getting the maximum wear out of their old uniforms.

Oh, that did give me such as giggle...the hillbilly bit is just about right!! :lol:

This wouldn't be post war as two of them were killed - but I do like the theory of them wearing there old uniforms as 3 served pre war.

Were serviceman allowed to wear their uniforms home on a furlough (I hope that spelling is correct) I do have one that stated - own clothes must be worn.

Thanks for the better image

Corcam

Part of a fine rustic family :D

Corcam

My bet is that they originate from the fenlands of the Anglia region. :lol:

On a serious note, if three served pre-war then it is worth posting their service numbers for the regular or T.F. units on individual threads. The regimental/unit experts on the Board will be able to pinpoint the date of enlistment.

regards

Mel

Ps I still think that they are trying to get the maximum wear out of the uniforms. Look at those turn ups on the fen trousers! :lol:

Ps I still think that they are trying to get the maximum wear out of the uniforms. Look at those turn ups on the fen trousers! :lol:

It did happen though! I seem to remember my mum has a fantastic post-war picture postcard of the old balcksmith's shop at Wetheringsett in Suffolk where the blacksmith's son appears to be wearing his old army breeches, boots and of all things his puttees! (not quite the Fens - but equaly rustic!).

cheers

Steve

It did happen though! I seem to remember my mum has a fantastic post-war picture postcard of the old balcksmith's shop at Wetheringsett in Suffolk where the blacksmith's son appears to be wearing his old army breeches, boots and of all things his puttees! (not quite the Fens - but equaly rustic!).

cheers

Steve

There were only 60 miles from Wetheringsett.....perhaps it was a local thing.

Not quite the fens but that was a great guess before - they lived on the Suffolk/Essex/Cambridgeshire border!

Rustic definately but damn brave men!!

Cheers

Corcam