Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SWB to DCM winner

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

I have just bought a swb to 7474 F Winters DCM of the Northamptonshire regiment. I have a copy of his citation. Are there any pals who could let me know more about him please.

Kevin

By the end of the war he was a CSM (Company Serjeant Major)

I have been doing some research on the Northants DCM winners. Unfortunately, he is one of half a dozen I have next to nothing on, apart from his citation.

I would expect that he was previously with the 1st or 2nd battalion and was perhaps transferred to the 5th Battalion after being wounded. The 5th Battalion went to France in May 1915, so it is possible that he was a Reservist (estimated enlistment date 1905 - 7805 Percy Brooksbank enlisted 26-10-1905) who didn't make it to the front until later for some reason (Lance-Corporal Brooksbank didn't make it to France until 1917 due to pleurisy, so not impossible)

For others who could help:

7474 Sergeant Frederick Winters, 5th Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment. Announcement and Citation Gazetted 29-11-1915

For conspicuous gallantry on the 13th October, 1915, near Vermelles. He was detailed, with eight men, to block a communication trench. The party rushed up the trench for ninety yards in rear of a bombing party of another battalion. A strong party of enemy bombers was met, who drove in our bombing party Serjeant Winters, with great bravery, promptly engaged the enemy, drove them back, and successfully blocked the trench, losing three men killed. Later in the day he again successfully blocked another communication trench under a heavy fire. On the evening of the 15th October he was again conspicuous in collecting parties to repair a trench which was being heavily shelled, and in digging out dead and wounded men.

Sorry,

Steve.

Guest KevinEndon

Enlisted 23.6.04 Discharged 9.9.18.

para 392 (xvi) k.r. para 2 (a) (1) wounds

served over seas yes.

Do you want a copy of his MIC steve.

Thanks for that, but I thought it was supposed to be me giving you information! :D

Extract from the The History of the 12th Division for the 13th October 1915:

"During the morning of the 13th inst. the advanced Divisional Headquarters moved to Philosophe, and the bombardment to be followed by the attack commencing...

12thDiv13-10-1915Pt1a.jpg

12thDiv13-10-1915Pt1b.jpg

12thDiv13-10-1915Pt2.jpg

The event of Sergeant Winters DCM gets a mention have way down page 20, I believe.

Yes please for the MIC!

Steve.

Got 'em. Thanks.

Steve.

• 9 years later...