Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cant find him either

chaz

just joined the forum and am in the same position as previous poster.

Im looking for a Private Percy Gleed .

He's one of my grandfathers brothers. All I have on him is "16769, B Coy, 7th Glos, 39th Bde, 13th Div, BEF, Mediterranean, C/O G.P.O London (This is Percys address)" hand written on a piece of paper, I also have a newspaper cutting undated saying Private Percy Gleed had been killed , and that he was 20 years old also that he had enlisted in the 3rd Gloucesters, eventually being transferred into the 7th Gloucesters quick firing section...

Ive asked at Gloucester regimental HQ and he is not on their books, Ive asked Jonathan Collins to search for him and his brothers, all I got back was the information I gave him!!

Basically 3 brothers are remembered on the local church gateway, grandfather died 1963 and it would be nice to get Percy remembered on the gateway if possible. BTW , Ive also checked the local regixters for births etc but cant find any of them but will keep at it.

anyone shed light on how to find records, I appreciate some went up during the blitz, also looking for medals to the family name.

But he is not listed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission or in "Soldiers Died in the Great War".

thanks Chris, dont know how I missed that as I have printed all the others off!!

my cousins did some research back in 1990 but the records information dont mention Percy either

"3 brothers are remembered on the local church gateway"

Which church is this?

Kath.

Ive been on and off web sites for a couple of years, just came back from a militaria fair today and decided to have another go.are the two you list web sites for reference?

Terry's checked the Overseas Deaths.

You have to pay for 1837online.

The other site is:

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

IF it is the Percy born 1895 you have a possible date of death - 1915.

Have you checked local newspapers, Church magazines (if surviving).

Kath.

thanks, have presumably found his birth then, but still not on cwgc.

I spent a couple of hours in the library searching micro filmed papers .

at least with a possible death date in 1915 that could have put him on the way to Gallipoli!!

thanks, have presumably found his birth then, but still not on cwgc.

So far there is no evidence that he should be and everything else points to him not being a casualty. Newspaper stories are often wrong for various reasons including him being a PoW and surviving etc.

It is possible that he died after discharge of a non-war related illness etc. However, if he was still in service at death and died in the UK, he would not be in the Overseas Index (obviously) and SDGW omits many who died at home (likewise it does not include men who died after discharge).

Hi chaz

Just wondering if paper got its wires closed, there is a 17368 Pte. William Alfred, Gleed of the 10th Glos., killed 25-9-15, may be and only just may be they some how got the wrong man, it did appone.

Annette

Terry R, his father was Charles...yes its where mine came from. the family tree is a mess with 2 families the same name same village.

Terry D , the newspaper cutting also says 'death of crudwell soldiers' one is our Percy the other is Pte P S Goodfield 12174, I can tie him to 12-08-1915 and he is named on the other stone I had to cut off the pic to fit allowance.

Annette, the problem being is there were a lot of Gleed's in the area.

also another clipping mentions the King sending a telegram thanking Charles for sending 5 sons 5th June 1915.

Annette, the problem being is there were a lot of Gleed's in the area.

Just my point chaz, William Alfred, Gleed parents came from Wesbury-on-Severn not that far from Malmesbury, and may have been covered by same paper, possibly some how they got names mixed up, seeing that there is no Percy in overseas index, C.W.G.C. or SD. Have you searched for him in the civil deaths index.

Annette

I have just searched the death indexes for the UK for the whole of 1915 and 1916....he is not on, Terry has searched the GRO Army Overseas Death Index, again no trace, all the evidence so far indicates that the papers have it wrong.....which is not that uncommon, I have found a couple of lads from my own village whose deaths were reported in the local papers, only for them to show up later as surviving....One lad even read the report of his own death in the local paper while home on leave in 1915.

Below is a classic error example of a reported death in a local newspaper.

Mrs Dunn, Sherburn Hill, has received official news that her son Pte William Dunn also of Sherburn Hill has died of his wounds in a Field Hospital in France. He was previously reported wounded. Pte Dunn was a well known player in the Mid Durham as a fives Player.

And this reported two months later.

Mrs Dunn of Sherburn Hill received official news that her son Pte William Dunn, 13th D.L.I. had died of his wounds received on October 3 in France. She has now received the welcome information that he has been admitted into a Leicester Hospital, and is progressing satisfactorily.

I would check out the local newspapers for his area for many months after the report of his death.

John

more work to do then..

Ive checked the 1901 Crudwell census and we have Chas and Maria husband and wife, also Arthur age 8 and Percy age 6 , Ernest age 1? and Chas age 17.

No mention of John Edward or Fred although there is a Fred in Hankerton age 11! and John age 8 in Oaksey!!

the only real eligable William (grandfather) would be the Hankerton one age 19 but we have him as born 1878 (23yrs)