Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boy soldiers

uncle bill

I found this in a french fair last week, any thoughts ? They look very young, especially the front row and there seems to be a scout in there as well.

post-831-1155475631.jpg

thanks, any ideas on regiment ?

a close up of cap badge. Royal Warwicks ?

post-831-1155482744.jpg

90% sure its ROYAL WARWICKS

a close up of cap badge. Royal Warwicks ?

Hi

Pre War T.F. unit 1912-1914

I always admire people who can be as specific as this; I have trouble identifying most things - vehicles, uniforms, rifles - as what I'm checking never seems to compare exactly with images in reference books. Could you give me (and perhaps one or two others) a short lesson by explaining how you deduced this, please?

Thanks in advance.

Moonraker

How did these BOYS get past the Recruiting Sgt ????

Those Souts get everywhere !!

nice pics, PBI. How about some more photos like these folks.

Ok Uncle Bill,when i get back from shoping i will post some more Pictures,sad story about the above Man CSM A.E.Broughton DCM...survived Somme,Passchendaele,Cambrai,captured and repatriated..then killed in an industrial accident at vickers in Sheffield !!!!!!..was reputed to have been at one time the youngest CSM in the BEF,he served in The R.B. :(

It would be interesting to know the statistics of those who were under 18 when they enlisted - it would make sober reading.

Officially, the youngest Australian soldier to die on active service was John Martin who died of illness on Gallipoli aged 14. Thank goodness we have better recruiting controls these days.

Richard Van Emden's book 'Boy Soldiers' deals very well with this subject. I believe there is a thread on this book in the book section of the forum.

For Uncle Bill !

More for Uncle Bill,Private James Frederick Nicholls,G/60992,KIA France 07.03.1918,Interred 9 Elms Cemetery.a native of Carshalton in Surrey.Front Row 3rd Right.

great photos, thanks PBI !

it happened on both sides :D

54890595-L.jpg

Talk about Olivers Army !!

it happened on both sides :D

54890595-L.jpg

Excellent Photo..any i.d ?

Moonraker,

An Antelope on ground, then a 'Royal Warwickshire' scroll is the badge of the Royal Warwicks

Tom McC

Tom, I meant your first deduction: pre-war T.F. unit 1912-14. If I had come across this photo in a Wiltshire context, I - in my ignorance - would have vaguely sensed it was taken between 1910 and 1918.To my untutored eye the soldiers look like just some of the Kitchener men in my postcards.

Moonraker

Tom, I meant your first deduction: pre-war T.F. unit 1912-14. If I had come across this photo in a Wiltshire context, I - in my ignorance - would have vaguely sensed it was taken between 1910 and 1918.To my untutored eye the soldiers look like just some of the Kitchener men in my postcards.

Moonraker

i think you'll find it was roy's deduction, (themonsstar)

two things spring to my mind (neither of them grumpy TG) , all of them still have the stiffners in their caps, and the large brass T shoulder titles

grumpy...why are you crouched like a coiled spring? it can't be good for you...

I have my doubts, not that I have an alternative.

I am unable to discern any 'T' titles, large, yes, but Warwickshires had a fairly big title, and Pals an even bigger. A recognisable blow-up would help.

I find absolutely no Imperial Service tablets .... one I thought turns out to be probably a watch chain bar.

Stiffeners ............. hardly a TF speciality!

What do I see? Post 1902. No ranking soldiers, so an intake? Mostly young, so possibly 1914/15. Possibly R Warwicks. Writing on huts may suggest Huts or Scouts,

But evidence thin to be so positive. TF 1912-1914? We shall see.

I have my doubts, not that I have an alternative.

anything else you didn't manage to see? :lol: