Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Durham Light Infantry

rugby-137

Hello Members

Does anyone have any information regarding the 22nd (pioneer) Battalion Durham Light Infantry in and around 1916-1917 particularly keen to trace the movements of the battlion at this time as my great granfather served with them until his death in 1917.

Thanks in advance

Phil Henry

Hello

I dont think the 22nd served in a theatre of war

Phil,

Don't know exactly what they were doing, but do they they were the Pioneer Bn of 8th Division until July 1918, when they were absorbed by the 1/7th Bn, D.L.I., who had come from 50th Div to 8th Div.

All of the Durham Pals Battalions are the subject of a new book by John Sheen, but I don't know the publishing date.

Graham.

Phil,

Don't know exactly what they were doing, but do they they were the Pioneer Bn of 8th Division until July 1918, when they were absorbed by the 1/7th Bn, D.L.I., who had come from 50th Div to 8th Div.

All of the Durham Pals Battalions are the subject of a new book by John Sheen, but I don't know the publishing date.

Graham.

Thanks Graham

Could you explain what the pioneer Bn of the 8th Division were?

Thanks

Phil

Also this for the battalion at the Durham County records office.

Ref No. D/DLI 2/22/1

Record of service of the 22nd Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry, 15 June 1916 - 31 March 1918

(2 papers)

Hello Phil,

the 22nd Durhams moved to Millencourt on the 30th June, 1916 for the Battle of the Somme and provided carrying parties to the front line from the 2nd July. The 8th Division moved to the Cuinchy area some time after the 4th July when relieved and the 22nd Durhams at Annequin worked under a tunnelling coy of the Sappers on mining. This went on through the rest of July until the 5th August the battalion then moved to Noyelles working on trenches as well as the mining. The division remained in the area until the 8th October when it was relieved and returned to the Somme, the Durhams arrived on the 15th at the Citadel Camp. Hope this helps you. Regards John.

Does anyone have any information regarding the 22nd (pioneer) Battalion Durham Light Infantry in and around 1916-1917 particularly keen to trace the movements of the battlion at this time as my great granfather served with them until his death in 1917.

Hello Phil,

Attached is an extract from a draft manuscript prepared a little while ago following exhaustive research on the war records of all DLI battalions in the First World War, in pursuit of my MLitt degree. One of these days I might actually get round to taking it further but, in the meantime, I hope you find it useful in tracing the movements of your Great Grandfather.

David T.

22nd_Battalion__DLI.doc

Hi

Many thanks to everyone that is the most useful information i have yet found regarding the 22nd Pioneer Battlion.

If anyone else has any more details on the Durham Light Infantry i would be very interested to hear about it.

Once again gentlemen thank you.

Phil Henry

To Phil and also David T,

I wrote some time ago to say that I have a private diary from an unidentified officer in the 22nd covering the period from Scotton to early Nov 1916. I lost your email address David to send you the transcript but would willingly do so.

Phil, I checked Davids excellent work and, as usual, there are some discrepancies with the diary version I have. I can identify two casualties though, the man who shot himself in the foot was Private Adams and the poor chap asphyxiated in his biv was JP Maddison. Another point is the first fatalities, my personal diary states the mens names and shows 2 killed, 4 wounded so one probably died when taken to the CCS or later.

There is also a mention of the real hell they went through at the end of October 1916, a 15" gun firing on them. It is at this period in time that the unidentified officer was taken off to Glasgow with Shellshock.

What was your the surname of the soldier you are researching, what company was in in etc? I may be able to add some specific dates and information.

Mark

Hi Mark

The soldier i am trying to trace is my greatgranfather 32702 L/Cpl John Ranson killed 20/06/1917 and is buried at Dickebusch New Cemetery in Belgium. He was in the 22nd (pioneer) Battalion Durham Light Infantry. Any information you might have would be gratefully received.

Regards

Phil Henry

To Phil and also David T,

I wrote some time ago to say that I have a private diary from an unidentified officer in the 22nd covering the period from Scotton to early Nov 1916. I lost your email address David to send you the transcript but would willingly do so.

Mark,

I'd very much appreciate the transcript - E-Mail address is datatdli@aol.com. Thanks, in anticipation.

David T

• 3 weeks later...
Attached is an extract from a draft manuscript prepared a little while ago following exhaustive research on the war records of all DLI battalions in the First World War, in pursuit of my MLitt degree. One of these days I might actually get round to taking it further but, in the meantime, I hope you find it useful in tracing the movements of your Great Grandfather.

David T.

Having just discovered this forum, I have noticed your post of a while ago.

Do you still have your research on the war records of all the DLI battalions in ww1? I am trying to discover anything I can about my grandfather who served with the 19th DLI.

I would be very grateful for any help you could give me.

Regards, Gill

Sorry David, Should have looked first before I leaped.

I have found your manuscript relating to the 19th DLI elsewhere on this site.

My mother will also be extremely interested to read this; she had been hoping I could find out a few snippets about where her father had been. I can't wait to give her all this information.

Thank you very much

Gill

Sorry David, Should have looked first before I leaped.

I have found your manuscript relating to the 19th DLI elsewhere on this site.

My mother will also be extremely interested to read this; she had been hoping I could find out a few snippets about where her father had been. I can't wait to give her all this information.

Thank you very much

Gill

Gill,

I hope your Mother finds the manuscript interesting & useful. If I can be of any further hepl, do let me know.

Regards,

David T.

Gill,

I hope your Mother finds the manuscript interesting & useful. If I can be of any further hepl, do let me know.

Regards,

David T.

I feel as if I've got a bit of a cheek asking, but wonder if you can help.

I thank you for your manuscript on the 19th Battalion. I found it very interesting:However, I haven't got it to my mother yet.

My grandfather actually joined up with the 23rd Battalion. I believe men from this battalion were sent overseas as drafts for the 19th.

As the 23rd were not actually a fighting battlion (I believe) is there any information about them?

Thank you

Gill

Regimental_Reserve_formations___23_DLI.doc

My grandfather actually joined up with the 23rd Battalion. I believe men from this battalion were sent overseas as drafts for the 19th.

As the 23rd were not actually a fighting battlion (I believe) is there any information about them?

Gill,

Attached is an extract from my unpublished manuscript relating to regimental reserve formations including 23rd (Reserve) Battalion, DLI. That battalion was formed from the depot companies of 19th (Service) (Second County) Battalion. I'm afraid there's not a lot about 23rd Battalion but I hope the piece helps fill a few gaps for you.

David T.

Regimental_Reserve_formations___23_DLI.doc

Gill,

Attached is an extract from my unpublished manuscript relating to regimental reserve formations including 23rd (Reserve) Battalion, DLI. That battalion was formed from the depot companies of 19th (Service) (Second County) Battalion. I'm afraid there's not a lot about 23rd Battalion but I hope the piece helps fill a few gaps for you.

David T.

Thank you yet again,

Gill