Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Light Infantry lookup

ZimRich

Hi,could anyone help with my research into 14594 Pte.J Tod High L I. who served in the 16th Btn (Glasgow Boys brigade) and was possibly wounded in 1916.

Any information would be helpful

Thanks

Hello

is this the correct number?

Description Medal card of Tod, James

Corps Regiment No Rank

Highland Light Infantry 14954 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/20

wounded in 1916 would make him one of the fortunate

The 16th started 1st July 1916 with 755 men and finished up with 221 survivors

• 1 month later...

Hello, Please bear with me as I have just joined this forum & am unsure if this is where I post a message. If I am wrong please let me know! My query is:- I have the HLI history of my Grandfather who joined in 1908 1st Bat. (Glasgow) On his death cert in 1932 his mothers maiden name was given -as is the way in Scotland. I have been unable to trace a Scottish marriage for them & am now looking at Ireland. Were there quite a number of Irishmen who would have been in the HLI? Would his mothers maiden name be on his entry papers? I want to double check the name. My father, his son, was also in the HLI but these are the only 2 that I know of. Thank you, if anyone can help. :)

• 2 years later...
Hello, Please bear with me as I have just joined this forum & am unsure if this is where I post a message. If I am wrong please let me know! My query is:- I have the HLI history of my Grandfather who joined in 1908 1st Bat. (Glasgow) On his death cert in 1932 his mothers maiden name was given -as is the way in Scotland. I have been unable to trace a Scottish marriage for them & am now looking at Ireland. Were there quite a number of Irishmen who would have been in the HLI? Would his mothers maiden name be on his entry papers? I want to double check the name. My father, his son, was also in the HLI but these are the only 2 that I know of. Thank you, if anyone can help. :)

Having just scratched the surface with my own Great Grandfathers service in the HLI then yes there were plenty of Irishmen. A look at medal cards for Gallacher/Gallagher proves this, my GGF being a Donegal man.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,could anyone help with my research into 14594 Pte.J Tod High L I. who served in the 16th Btn (Glasgow Boys brigade) and was possibly wounded in 1916.

Any information would be helpful

Thanks

Pte 14954 J Tod was one of the original members of the battn, and is listed in the battn history as one of the original mken embarking for France. the battn was particularly associated with the Boys Brigade. This means that he was an early war volunteer ( the 15th HLI was raised overnight from the Glasgow tramways staff), volunteering in early Sept 1914. At that time he would most probably have been living in or around Glasgow, although people did travel remarkable distances to enlist in particular units.

They did not go to France until 23/11/1915 and were pretty much wiped out on the first day of the Somme, quite near to where the Thiepval Memorial stands.

There is a good battalion history, which has a recent reprint, but other ranks are rarely mentioned by name.

Good luck

Adam

4352 Pte J Tod (also spelt Todd ) was awarded the Kings South Africa Medal and the India general Service Medal, this J Tod (or Todd) was wounded at Magersfontien on 11/12/1895

Could it be the same man?

You'd probably be better to start a new thread, giving what details you have about your Grandfather.

Neil

Pte James Tod 14954 16/Highland Light Infantry, enlisted on 17-10-1914 @ Glasgow.

Born : Woodside, Lanarkshire 17th June 1895

Wounded in action 7-12-1915 (GSW to right foot) treated at War Hospital, Huddersfield.

Discharged 24-1-1919

Father Robert living at 11 Haylynn St, Whiteinch (?) Glasgow.

His service papers are on Ancestry.

Ellie

ZimRich,did you check 'Scotlands People'? there are 36 James Tod 's married between 1880-1914,pm me any more details will have look.( if you haven't already) Cheers Mike

Pte James Tod 14954 16/Highland Light Infantry, enlisted on 17-10-1914 @ Glasgow.

Born : Woodside, Lanarkshire 17th June 1895

Wounded in action 7-12-1915 (GSW to right foot) treated at War Hospital, Huddersfield.

It would appear that Pte Tod must have been about the first casualty in the battalion when in France. The first elements of 16 HLI ( officers and NCOs) went for trench experience on 2/12/15, when C and D coys officers and NCOs went to join units of 51st Div in the front line. Over the next 4 days platoons were drafted into the line and by 9/12/15 the complete relief had been achieved.

The battn history records that the first fatality was Pte A Kitchen, on the second day in the trenches. CWGC records Pte 14931 William Kitchen on 1/12/1915, aged 31. He was from A coy

Given the circumstances Tod's injury looks like an injury whilst moving up to the front line, and the GSW looks more likely to have been from a British rifle, accidentally or otherwise.

Adam