Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

la Farme de la Confluence ?

6th Shropshires

Hi

The 2/K.S.L.I. took over the front line near Bois Carre & Bois Confluent, Dickebusch on the 14th January 1915, the war diary records Battalion H.Q. was at la Farme de la Confluence along with the H.Q. of the 4/R.B. I can not find a farm by that name, most of the farms on my trench map have British names like Redoubt Farm, Beggars Rest, Dead Dog Farm, Snipers Barn and so on. If anyone knows where it is I would be greatful to know.

Thanks in Advance

Annette

Annette,

Sorry, can't help you right now. I've just browsed through the 3 books "De Oorlog te Dickebusch en omstreken" (A. Van Walleghem), very important source for the local history WW1, but no sign of Ferme de la Confluence.

Yet the book has an extensive Index (Register) at the end. No "Confluence", not even a list of farms. :(

I'll have a look at a French of Belgian Trench Map in Ypres next Wednesday of the area (if there is one). But don't be too optimistic.

Any idea whether it is west, north, east, south of the village centre ?

Aurel

Hi Peter & Aurel

Andy (Stiletto 33853) as a map with a Bois Confluence on it, the map I have as a Bois Confluent, which have to be the same wood (I have noticed several differences in spellings between British and Belgium/French). Snipers Barn is the closest to the wood so could be the place I am looking for but just wondering if its a little too close to the front line for a battalion H.Q. ?, Moated Grange could be a possibity.

Aurel I will scan the map I have and post it tomorrow, Moated Grange is west-north of St. Eloi, and Snipers Barn is West if I have my bearings right.

Annette

Annette, have looked again, no success. The Bois Confluent is the confluence of 2 streams, so the associated farm cannot be far away.....either Snipers Barn or Moated Grange, the others are on the far side of the road.

A modern Belgian map shows a farm road from "Snipers Barn" into the wood, so that farm probably owns/owned the wood.

Then again, 1918 maps have Confluent Junction of a light raolway at Moated Grange.........

Peter.

Annette,

I had a look on some trench maps in the Ypres Doc. Centre this morning, and I can only confirm what Peter wrote.

Snipers Barn was 300 meters west of where the Bollaartbeek and the Diependaalbeek come together.

Moayed Grange was the same distance north (or north northwest)

So one of these two must be your Ferme de la Confluence. (As it would be a bit silly to name a farm that was at a greater distance than these two, after the point where the two little rivers met.)

Aurel

Thanks Peter and Aurel

My guess is thats its Moated Grange mainly because I think Snipers Barn is too close to front line for a Battalion H.Q. and also the fact that Confluent Junction is near Moated Grange. But I would like to know for sure, Aurel do you know if there are any pre war maps with original Belguim names on the net.

Again thanks

Annette

Aurel do you know if there are any pre war maps with original Belguim names on the net.

Again thanks

Annette

On the net ? Not that I know.

But maybe this info will help. I know what type of Belgian pre-war you mean. The type that dates from 1910 or 1911 or so. I don't have the one of the Bois Confluent area, but I have the one for the Boezinge area. And there are very very few farm names on it. I would be surprised if there were a farm name for Snipers Barn or Moated Grange on the pre-war Belgian map.

Maybe I am even sure. For I happen to have a photocopied map extract of that area, and as far as I know, the British troops used this pre-war Belgian maps, certainly at the beginning, and printed locations and trenches on it. Correct ?

Well, there is no Belgian name visible for snipers Barn nor Moated Grange.

But I will have a look next time when I am back in the Doc. Centre. (Next Wednesday, or maybe tomorrow.)

Aurel

Thanks Aurel

• 15 years later...