Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newington/lambeth london

wulsten

Does anyone have any info on locations of cenotaph or memorials located in the Newington/ lambeth areas of london any info appreciated or info of what local newspapers were circulating during the great war

researching a James W Waddams 54529 50th batt MGC, from herne hill.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=481490

Buried at Heverlee cemetery which is east of Brussels why? contacted CWGC as probable re burial but no response yet, any help much appreciated

Not looked lately, but there was a link on the channel 4 web site about war memorials

There is a war memorial in Kennington Park, but it does not list names, just regiments and places.

There is a war memorial in the grounds of St Mark's Church, Kennington Park Road, Oval (just by Kennington Park and opposite Oval tube station).

There is another memorial at Stockwell, in the centre of a roundabout, near Stockwell tube station.

There is a branch of the Royal British Legion based in Braganza Street, Kennington (close to Kennington tube station)

Moriaty

• 1 month later...
There is a war memorial in Kennington Park, but it does not list names, just regiments and places.

There is a war memorial in the grounds of St Mark's Church, Kennington Park Road, Oval (just by Kennington Park and opposite Oval tube station).

There is another memorial at Stockwell, in the centre of a roundabout, near Stockwell tube station.

There is a branch of the Royal British Legion based in Braganza Street, Kennington (close to Kennington tube station)

Moriaty

cheers for the locations info

Moriaty

Moriaty,

I am interested in the Lambeth area as well. From your info, I am assuming that the St. Mark's Church and Stockwell memorials have names on them. Do you know if they are area specific?? I have a Gt Gt uncle from Stamford Street, Lambeth who was killed at Gallipoli

Cheers

Steve

I'll have to check when I pass in the next few days, but I think the answer is yes. If you let me have a name I can have a look

Moriaty

There are definitely names on the War Memorial outside St Mark's Church, the Oval, but I would think that they related to men/women in that parish which would cover Oval, Kennington, Vauxhall.

I suspect that his name would probably be on a Memorial or plaque a bit closer to Waterloo/ North Lambeth/ Southwark. Do you have more info and details of his regiment etc.

There is a web site for the UK National Inventory of War Memorials that might be worth checking out:

www.ukniwm.org.uk

Moriaty

SteveW

re your great uncle from Stamford Street, some more information that might help would be his name, religious denomination (if any), did he work for the railways or in the docks or in printing.

I had a little cycle ride around north Lambeth this morning to see what I could find in the Waterloo area, but

there is no such thing as a large, public war memorial in Waterloo.

There was a war memorial in the former Country Hall/ GLC HQ on the South Bank. This is now a hotel and flats. There was a controversy about the war memorial when the hotel was being converted by Japanese developers, but I am not sure what the outcome was and what wars were covered on the memorial

Waterloo Station has a large memorial with names of the fallen who worked on the railways (see the Lost Generation web site for some more info on this)

St John the Evangelist with St Andrew Short St (just by Stamford St) was badly bombed in WW2, and was re-built, it has a memorial outside erected by the staff in honour of patients who died in the King George Hospital/HM Stationery office Stamford St which was used as a military hospital. There are about 49 names but these are hard to read. I couldnt get into the church (which is opposite the Imax cinema) but the parish office is 020 7633 9819, www.stjohnwaterloo.co.uk

Christchurch Southwark at 27 Blackfriars Rd, SE1 8NY (is just round the corner from Stamford St), but it was bombed in 1941 and re-built. The email address on the sign was: slim@dswark.org.uk. The Vicar is Tim Scott

St Mary's Newington in Kennington Park Rd near Newington Butts/Elephant and Castle (some way away from Stamford St) was also bombed during the war and re-built. I couldnt get in, but the Vicar is Fr Andrew Dodd, 57 Kennington Park Rd, SE11

I thought there was a memorial with names on the Peabody Estate in Blackfriars Rd (which leads up to the Stamford St turning near the river) but I couldnt find it. I thought it featured on the Ian Hislop Channel 4 series.

Off Stamford St, is St Patricks RC Church, Cornwall Rd, the Friary is at 26 Cornwall Rd, SE1. Again I couldnt get in.

Further away was Christ Church and Upton, Kennington Rd, SE1 (by Lambeth North tube station), also bombed and re-built tho the original tower stands. Email address: info@church.co.uk

I hope this is of some help

Moriaty

SteveW

Further possibilities:

The London Nautical School is in Stamford Street - I dont know if it has any memorial

Southwark CoE cathederal by London Bridge has a memorial with 333 names.

There is a Southwark Catholic cathederal (close to the Imperial war museum), but I couldnt see any memorial outside

The Imperial War Museum has a peace garden rather than a war memorial outside

Finally, Kennington Road public baths (near Lambeth Walk, but some way from Stamford St) had a memorial unveiled on 11 November 1921 (reported in the Brixton Free Press of 18 November 1921)

Moriaty

• 2 months later...