The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking For Bosuns Mate RNR WW1

eddiec

Hi

I'm looking for help in tracing information about my great grandfather John Connolly (B 1866 Islandmagee)

It is recorded on War Memorial that he served as a Bosun's Mate with the RNR during WW1

I did a search on NA but nothing came up.

Any help would be most welcome.

All WW1 RNR original Record Cards are at the Fleet Air Arm Museum (01935 842628). Give them a ring with name and Service Number and they should be able to find him for you.

Altermatively the copies are held at the National Archives. The Royal Naval Reserve had different service records from the Royal Navy, only the RN records are online.

EddieC

There is also the chance that the NA records for RNR do show something as I did a bit of research in the series ADM337 for a relative whose father was an RNR officer in WW1. ADM 337 is in ledger form,alpha listed and gives details of person, postings, and other salient points. It just may be,though,that this only covers officers.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks for the advice guys :)

I'll call the Fleet Air Arm Museum see if they can help although I dont have a service no... all I have to go on is the entry on the memorial. Unfortunately I cant get to the NA.