Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Letters from the front

Clive Temple

I have a series of letters from the front that I am transcribing, is there any central web site that collects them together or is the IWM interested in such things?

No, Clive - but if you would like to send your transcripts to me I'd be delighted to add them to the Long, Long Trail site (see link top left above).

OK, let me get a few typed up in chron order and then I'll have a bit more info on the chap/chaps? They appear to be from two Spaffords (Arthur and Kenneth) poss both in Lancs Regiments and from at least Greece, Egypt and France. To sisters and wives at least one of whom was a VAD in France.

Hopefully it'll pan out a bit as I type them up. Be nice to pull some of these types of letter together on the site together with hyperlinks to additional info (I'll try and do a name index too).

Haven't found much on the Somme offensive plans yet but I can tell you about a certain Nurse L's waistline!!!

They appear to be from two Spaffords (Arthur and Kenneth) poss both in Lancs Regiments and from at least Greece, Egypt and France...

Greece? Are we talking Salonika? If so Clive, please get typing forthwith!!

Yes Clive.

In my tag line you will see that one of my interests is the war service of my grandfather, Pte Alfred (Fred) Ernest Lines, 7th Ox & Bucks Light Infantry, 26th Division. The 26th Division were uprooted from the newly acquired Somme sector in November 1915, and sent on a Mediterranean voyage to Salonika, where they remained until 1919.

In common with several other members of this Forum, I am a member of the Salonika Campaign Society, and have a partucular interest in troop entertainments there (and everywhere else for that matter).

Indeed Clive, these letters of yours sound as though they would make an interesting article for the SCS newsletter, The New Mosquito.

Hello Clive

Here are some websites and blogs which may provide you with examples of how to present this material and where you might present it.

Regards

Borden Battery

The Canadian Letters and Images Project

This site features a strong selection of personal letters [132 separate authors] from Canadians in the Great War. The site has been completely redesigned with new features, such as search capabilities, and a greatly expanded range of letter materials. The search feature is a very welcome addition. While the site is still incomplete at this point the university continues to work on it until all the materials have been transferred from the old site. [CEF Study Group - July 2006 - Updated]

http://www.mala.bc.ca/history/letters/

Letters Home from the Front World War I - South Shore Genealogical Society

These letters are transcribed from, and courtesy of, the Berwick Register newspaper, Berwick NS, by Phil and Stephanie Vogler. The Register Extracts and Vital Statistics are at: Berwick Register Extracts Project - a site created by the Voglers consisting of extracts from the Berwick Register newspaper.

[Recommendation by 2004Springy][CEF Study Group - Jan 2006]

http://www.rootsweb.com/~nslssgs/wwone4.htm

Gunner Bertram Howard Cox

The following 38 letters were written to his family during WW1 and were transcribed by his daughter Molly in 2002. Notes in parenthesis are clarifications by Molly. The army censored all soldier's letters involved at battle. Some of these letters had eraser marks, as noted by Bert, most likely concerning locations or movements of soldiers/battalions which had been written about.

http://www.shiawasseehistory.com/cox.html

The Call to Duty - Canada's Nursing Sisters

This Library and Archives Canada exhibition tells the story of six women who served as nursing sisters during the First World War. "Active Duty" presents the personal diaries, letters and photographs of these women. "Caregiving on the Front" provides a history of nursing sisters during the First World War. Specific sections of the website include: Introduction, The Canadian Army Nursing Corps: Brief History of the Military Nursing Service, The Canadian Army Nurses: Who Were They, Enlistment, The Work of Military Nurses: Living Conditions, Working Conditions, Professional Relations and Social Life and Conclusion

[Recommendation by Nelson][CEF Study Group - Jan 2006]

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/nursing-sisters/index-e.html

*Grandpa's War

This well designed Blog presents a journal of Brett Paynes's research into the experiences of his grandfather Charles Leslie Lionel Payne (1892-1975) as a machine-gunner in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the Great War. The Blog provides letters, photographs and explanatory information to tell part of the story of his late Grandfather's life as an Emma Gee. [CEF Study Group - June 2006]

http://grandpaswar.blogspot.com/

*Canadian Military Historians

This Blog by Ken Reynolds provides a timely update on news regarding projects on Canadian military history and the community of professional and amateur historians behind them. In addition, a personal project is the research and documentation of the history of the 38th Battalion, CEF, 1914 to 1919. [CEF Study Group - June 2006]

http://cmhistorians.blogspot.com

Dear Miss Griffis – First World War Letters from Harold to Emma

This Blog site presents an exchange of letters between Dr. Harold Wigmore McGill and Nurse Emma Girffis. Dr. McGill graduated in medicine from the University of Manitoba in 1905, enlisted with the 31st Battalion CEF during the First World War, and served in the 5th Canadian Field Ambulance Corps at the front line in France. Harold’s descriptions of the horrors of war are very frank and in no way censored for her feminine eyes, perhaps because she too was in the medical profession, and he knew that descriptions of blood and death would not shock her. The "Dear Miss Griffis" blog was started in March 2006 as a unique way to share the stories in these letters. Each week the Glenbow Museum posts a letter, beginning with the very first one written by Harold to Emma, dated June 16, 1915. Subscribe to the RSS and be engaged in a true story from the pasts. [CEF Study Group - June 2006]

http://missgriffis.wordpress.com/2006/03/17/love-and-war/

Duty and Service : Letters from the Front

Crouch, Lionel William

http://www.archive.org/details/dutyandservice00crouuoft

Letters to Helen : Impressions of an Artist on the Western Front

Henderson, Keith

http://www.archive.org/details/letterstohelen00henduoft

War Letters of a Public-School Boy

Jones, Henry Paul Mainwaring

http://www.archive.org/details/warletterschoolboy00joneuoft

Letters of the Lt.-Col. George Brenton Laurie (Commanding 1st Battn. Royal Irish Rifles) : Dated November 4th, 1914-March 11th, 1915

Laurie, George Brenton

http://www.archive.org/details/lettersoflaurie00vereuoft

Letters from France

Mack, Isaac Alexander

http://www.archive.org/details/lettersfrance00mackuoft

Letters from Mesopotamia in 1915 and January, 1916

Palmer, Robert

http://www.archive.org/details/mesopotamia00palmuoft

* Pte. Richard William Mercer - 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

The website publishes the personal letters sent home by an ordinary Canadian soldier from 1915 to 1919. The site makes extensive use of footnotes to explain and/or elaborate on the background and context of the comments of a young private in the Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery of the Canadian Expeditionary Force.

[Dwight Mercer/Borden Battery website courtesy of Brett Payne]

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~brett/cmgc/rwm_letters.html

I'll post them up here for ease and Chris can put them in a more appropriate place later. If anyone can add any info I would be very grateful.

The first few letters are from Arthur Spafford (Captain/Adjt at some point) with the 1st Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers who was killed whilst attached to the 6th Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers on 7 August 1915 at Gallipoli. He is buried in the Lancashire Landing Cemetery.

Letter 1 - Probably from Egypt...this one is quite a lot of 'sweet nothings'.

On active service

Mrs Arthur Spafford

120 Hare Street

Rochdale

Lancashire

England

24 July 1914

Dearest Kiddie,

Thank you so much dear for your two letters and the photo, also the papers. If so be that I am left in peace for ¼ of an hour or so I will answer the letters.

I am sorry that I should have conveyed the impression that we are not having a very nice time, as a matter of fact this new mode of warfare is not pleasant, it is to be hoped that it is only temporary and that after a time there will be freedom of action and manoeuvre. I hate being cooped up in a dug out all day and night. I am glad I have been a good boy, as seen in a paper from Jerry, what have I done now I wonder! Am I a dear hubby? You don’t think so really.

So you are cheered up with the thought of possibly coming out to Egypt again, poor Kiddie I would I had told you my thoughts earlier if by so doing I could have cheered you up. Certainly you must come out again and get away from the cold and damp, if only for a change and for the sake of your health. It is perhaps extravagant but then I am spending nothing and if it gives you any pleasure you may as well winter abroad as in England.

Mrs D wants help and Mrs Carver and others will be only too glad to look after you until you could get settled down in Alex. I hear that Mrs Carver is working like a good un and will knock herself up if she is not careful. Of course your family cannot order you about, you belong to me and I will look after you so you can be as haughty as you like, but be tactful.

I do think you have been good in not complaining but even if you did complain you would not make me unhappy now. Before perhaps I was a little unhappy I thought perhaps I was asking you to give up so much to gain so little and that your mother might suffer indirectly by my actions but now that it is all done and what matters and why worry, we have each other and I am selfish about it, I want you to the exclusion of all else and as long as I can have you to look after and spoil nothing else seems to matter very much, I only wish I could do more for you.

I don’t want to write to Mrs D at once as I am afraid she will ask for you to come out at once and I do not want this. It is much too hot at present and I don’t think you have been at home for a long enough period, but I do think at the end of August the weather is less trying and September or at any rate October is quite nice out in Egypt, before that time I shall have heard more from you on this subject and after writing Mrs D I can always wire you if time is getting on.

Perhaps Miss L could be my nurse if anything happens. Could you not trust me to her? Oh Kiddie I must not tease you must I? I don’t want anyone but you to look after me, no one else would stand me for a day, I am such an old grumbler but I don’t mean to be in the future. I am going to be such a good boy and very sympathetic.

It was nice for Capt. S to be allowed to have his wife look after him, most hospitals I suppose would not have allowed her near except as a visitor.

I do not see that you can do any harm by writing to Mrs D at the convalescent home where she is matron and asking her if you could be of any assistance but giving her at the same time plainly to understand that you could not get away from England until after August as you have so many relations to visit before leaving England again.

The cushion cover I mentioned in my last letter is returned here again, I hope you do not have to pay on it. I was obliged to redirect it afresh for fear it came back again so I am afraid they may think it is a parcel for you from me and charge you for it.

How nice the photos of Egypt will look pasted in a book, it will be very pleasant again dreaming again our old dreams. Haven’t you even glanced inside the London Mail, good Kiddie. What was the nice and naughty dream about us on the 3rd July? Of course it will come true especially if you tell it to me please?

By jove if Uncle George would leave us his house in Spain it would be ripping, we could live in the most peaceful warm climate and you could bathe as often as you liked.

What dear little fairy tales do you have my darling before going to sleep? Some that are too wonderful and beautiful for an old thing like me to understand eh? Go on dreaming little girl and so will I, I too have dreams which are very wonderful and beautiful and have only you to thank for them you dear, dear Kiddie.

I am glad to hear you are patient and a good Kiddie and that you remain cheerful. So you want me a little eh? More than before!

Bye bye dear, your hubby.

• 3 weeks later...

Letter 2 - Probably from on board a ship en route to Galipolli from Egypt. The ten months between letters may indicate Spaffords wife came out to join him in Egypt in the intervening time.

On active service

Mrs Marjorie Spafford

63 Lancaster Gate

London W.

4 May 1914 (sic - all the postal marks on the envelope are 1915)

Dearest Kiddie,

I am writing on the chance of your receiving this letter before you leave for home; if I get no further chance of writing letters I will send postcards as often as possible. By the way if you want a group photo of the officers of the 6th you can get one by writing to Ernest Brooks, 1 Buckingham Palace Road, SW. This man is a photographer by appointment to Their Majesties the King and Queen, he has been lent to the Government and is staying out with us to take photos. You will see in the photo that there is a stranger amongst us a Captain Radford of the 8th L.F., he ‘blew’ aboard.

I wonder what you are doing now? Mrs Carver came to see us off and said she would go and see you at the Savoy and ask you if you would stay with her until you left. I do hope you will have a good time whilst I am away and not feel too cold in England. It is a pity you have no home or fixed aboad (sic) but I will always write to 7 St. James Square or 120 Hare Street.

Try to get a week or so at Chapell and get to know Vi, she is such a topping good sort and I am sure you will love her.

We have had one or two rather amusing incidents on board. As we could get no news from the outer world we created our own. Some amusing wireless messages have been put up in the Saloon, it was quite a study to watch the officers faces as they read them and it is not until they have perused the whole message that they grasp the joke, some not even then.

Most of the officers have had the clippers over their heads, those who were for keeping their locks were carried below and performed on. Poor Eric D. was cropped and then brought up for inspection preceded by the officers of his Coy with Maurice in rear with the locks on a plate; they only lacked camels.

We kept a cabin spare for some officers who ought to have come aboard but as they did not come I took possession and so had a cabin to myself.

I forward my will made out by Capt. Gledhill and Mr Hornby.

We are all in good health. Galloway is employed all day cutting hair but he has had time to get out your photo and put it in a conspicuous place in my cabin, I hope the glass will not break.

We are just getting near the destination so I must stop.

Much love to you little girl and look after yourself.

Your loving husband,

Arthur.

Letter 3 - From Galipolli following the Battle of Krithia vineyard on May 6.

On active service

Mrs Arthur Spafford

Beverley Embankment

Bedford

11 May 1915

Dearest Kiddie,

I received your letter from Major Heywood. I was so glad to get it and to hear that you were well. I am glad you are not staying on in Alex as a nurse, it is much better for you to go home for the present. I shall certainly wire for you if I want you but in the meantime try very hard to be patient. Of course if you get any money you are entitled to spend it by getting a passage out again but until things are more settled it is better not to think of anything else but enjoying yourself at home.

I managed to pay Galloway and Sleanwood (?) as someone gave me £1.

There is every prospect of a smooth and warm passage home for you, I hope you won’t have any trouble at Consulates etc. I hope you will stay in Paris for a day or two and see the sights, I forgot to buy you a Baediker (sic – Baedeker is a travel guide) in France, or rather we had no time.

Well now for our news, I cannot say very much as news is always so exaggerated and after all we don’t know very much ourselves. We have had a show or two and really did very well in our little sector of the fight. We lost a few casualties but one is bound to do that in a fight. Everyone behaved well and pluckily.

We have now had two days rest and all are anxious again to do their best to help again. Gledhill, Scott, Maurice, Bessington, De Wyatt, Davies have been hit, all the wounds are quite easily healed except Scott’s and he is badly hit. You must not worry at all and just be patient and remember we are all doing our little bit to help along the end.

I have not yet met the 1st Battn. officers but many of the men have come into our camp to see me. They give good accounts of themselves and the officers are fit and well. They had a stiff time landing here but they won through all along their line.

I have just met the 1st Battn. They have come back from the front trenches for a rest.

How I miss you Kiddie and how I long to come back to you, perhaps this will not last much longer and then what a good time we will have little girl, we will have another honeymoon, on land this time unless we get another kind offer of a hut on the water.

By jove Kiddie how much I wish I could unsay some of the silly things I said to you, I always talk too much and say things I don’t mean a bit and make people unhappy. Try to forget all the unkind things I have said and remember the jolly good times we have had together.

It was brave of you to come out and marry me and if only we had not been under such trying circumstances I daresay I could have given you a better time.

I do so want to tell you all the news out here and as I am a press censor as far as the letters are concerned I suppose I could but I prefer to play cricket. The things I can say are that Maurice behaved like a brick and we expect him back in a day or so.

By the way you can address letters as before but as Mediterranean Expedition Force.

Now I must close, I will write again as soon as possible.

Your very loving husband,

Arthur.

Letter 4 - From Galipolli.

On active service

Mrs Arthur Spafford

Beverley

The Embankment

Bedford

15 May 1915

Dearest Kiddie,

Today we are in the support trenches and although there is a good deal of firing going on and spent bullets passing over us I feel I can safely write you a few lines.

Yesterday our mail arrived, I received a letter from Dad and Vera and there were two for you, one your mother and the other from Auntie Mattie, I opened and read both of them. I did not think you would mind and I wanted to find out where your mother was living now, I send the letters on to you now in a separate envelope.

I hope you cabled home before you left so that you could be met by someone, but as so many of you travelled together I feel sure you would not be left in the lurch to look after yourself.

Poor little Kiddie how sorry I was to hear I made you cry about the Alexandria trip, you must try not to take me too seriously, that is remember that I am not cross and horrid when I speak severely. Each night when I turn in or during the night when I am in the trenches on duty I think of you and long that I could come back just for a moment and ask you if you are happy. How brave you were when I left you, not a tear, it did help me so much, I could very easily have broken down myself.

Now about our part of the globe. The climate here is lovely, the grass is green and fresh and the poppies are a brilliant red. The officers and men are fit, happy and content, but we look a funny crew. Twice since we landed I have washed and changed my clothes. Yesterday I bathed in a stream but the shells were bursting shrapnel at some men who were near me too, I was glad when my toilet was over!

One pair of boots are nearly done, soon I will have to take to the other pair, at present I have not ridden my horse.

Galloway is still alive and well and looks after me as usual. Allerdyce and Frith send their kind regards to you.

We are living very cheaply at present, in fact we are spending nothing at all, as we are living on Government rations.

I do so hope you will have a good time whilst I am away and please Kiddie have everything you want, most likely I shall spend nothing of my pay to help build up our exchequer. What a good, dear wife you have been to me I feel I cannot do enough for you.

The flashlight is most useful to me and I am now using the refill. The toothbrush is the nicest I have ever had and the sponge is just the right size. The smelling salts have gone astray, it makes me very sad as I need to have a smell of them every now and then.

The spotties are no better but also no worse, perhaps they will go away in time.

Oh Kiddie, I do so want to see you again but it is better now that we are married. I feel so important now with a little wife all of my own and it will be such a happy return when I come back, so different from all the other times as I shall know you want me. We will just be quite together for a few days and see no-one else don’t you think so?

I must tear off the end of this page as I have made such a mess of it. I will try to write again very soon, in the meantime, au revoir little sweetheart.

All my love,

Arthur.

A bit of background information on Captain Spafford.

Arthur Langworthy Spafford was born in Bowden, Cheshire in 1880. He was the son of Frederick (a solicitor born in Alderley, Cheshire) and Christiana (born in Manchester), he went to school at Hanley Castle in Worcester.

Arthur may have been a career soldier. A Lt. A. L. Spafford served with the 6th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers in the Boer War.

Letter 5 - From Galipolli.

On active service

Mrs Arthur Spafford

Beverley

The Embankment

Bedford

20 May 1915

Dearest Kiddie,

I wonder if you can read these letters of mine written in pencil, it is the only thing I can write with. Just as our post corporal was leaving the trenches with the mail yesterday I received 3 more letters from you and three parcels; how kind and considerate you are my little wife, the chocolate I am eating at the present moment, the cigar I am keeping for a bit, the pills I have put in my breast pocket, they will come in very useful if I get wounded.

How good of you to write so much and often, perhaps you knew I was awfully sad and lonely and wanted you, at any rate your letters give me that sunshine which my soul craves for. Bodily fatigue I scarcely feel but the strain on ones mind is extremely great, I feel so responsible for this crowd and then your letters come and I no longer feel mental fatigue but just a great calm coupled with a great longing to be with you once more my sweetheart..

I am returning to (sic) a parcel from your mother which has just arrived, yesterday I forwarded a letter from one of your many admirers, it (sic) think it was from a boy you introduced me too (sic) on the slip at Port Said. How well you seem to like Port Said, I am glad you bathed, I shall be very glad to get the photo you had taken, at present I have one or two of your photos which you sent me from England, the coloured one has been mislaid but we hope it will turn up later on.

I wonder what your mother is doing at Lancaster Gate, it is I suppose only a temporary address and so I shall go on addressing letters to Hare Street until I hear to the contrary. You must get the pinks back Kiddie, you will as soon as you get back home, I always used to manage it when I went back home on leave.

We heard news of the Lusitania, it is very sad, but war is sad. You will be glad to hear that experiences up to date point to the fact that prisoners are well treated. Two men of our 1st were captured and after being given chocolate and biscuit were sent back to our lines, the CO of the 1st told me this himself.

I am so glad you bought something for Mrs Storey, I was so sorry for her as she watched the boat going out, I was glad you were not there, although I wanted you very much indeed. I also am looking forward to our real honeymoon but I shall always look back upon the first as the happiest time I ever spent, don’t say you spoilt it my angel child, it was I if anyone as I should not have said all I did. I see now how cruel it was of me to say all I did.

I wonder even now what was the best course to pursue, I think you would now have found that something to do had we done differently (sic) but perhaps you would have felt my absence more just until it was all over.

You dear little Bally Wife I do love you so and I do want you to be happy and have a good time whilst I am away. Well we will stay in London and then in Scotland, I like that plan very much but we must be quite by ourselves at first, how nice it will be coming home knowing you want me just as awfully as I want you. Of course you can have your amber beads before you go on your next honeymoon, what is my present to be? Perhaps I am not to know! Certainly I will wear the socks you send me, don’t make ‘em too thick though, at present I have everything I want except a balaclava helmet which has been stolen. I got wet through one night standing up all night in the trenches and next morning I put down my helmet to dry and it went. I shall be able to pick up another from a wounded officer perhaps so don’t worry about one, I luckily have the cap I got at Philips which covers my eyes at night.

Poor little Kiddie I hope your money troubles will not last, I expected before very long to hear something about tips being rather high. It will always seem dear when you mix with wealthy people, unless the people are old established conservative families whose gentleness and considerationess (sic) is always taken as part payment by those below them. You must not let these things worry you however, I would that worry were a word you did not know until I come back to worry you again.

You don’t say what report you received prior to sailing, I suppose it was about our engagement directly after we landed, I was hoping you would not hear anything. You ask if you ought to have stayed or gone home, my dearest I am unable to answer you except in so far as to say that I feel you are safer in England and amongst your own people. Had I been wounded and taken to ‘A’ of course I should have been overjoyed to see you but as it now is I feel glad that you have gone home.

You must be brave little girl and trust for the best, it is hard on you I know but think of all the others in like stress.

Now I must close, no one opens any of your letters, you can always write all you feel inclined. All my love to you my baby wife.

Arthur.

Letter 6 - From Galipolli.

On active service

Mrs Arthur Spafford

120 Hare Street

Rochdale

Lancashire

England

Waterloo House,

Waterloo Road,

Bedford

27 May 1915

Dearest Kiddie,

How you would laugh if you could see us all today. We have just had a miniature flood, the rain only lasted about a couple of hours but at the end of that time the trenches were a running stream of water. As quickly as possible we arranged the men a few paces apart and although they were standing knee deep and thigh deep in water they had to dive down and secure all the things that were floating down, what some missed others secured.

The damage has not been as bad as was expected but of course such things as matches, tobacco etc. are now only a pleasant memory. My razors etc. etc. were picked up but whether any of these things except the spong (sic) will ever be used again it is hard to say. Luckily the cigars, two tins of tobacco and one box of matches were found high and dry under my greatcoat which was almost too heavy to lift so soaked was it.

There are a great many amusing incidents in the trenches. Our Doc. Receives much friendly abuse from Lees (?) and I. Until now he says he sees he is the ‘butt’ of the Head Quarters mess, he is always putting his feet into the food or upsetting any liquid we happen to have to drink.

We are all very fit and well except the wounded who are doing well.

Poor Wiatt (Note - This is Private FW Wyatt, killed 25 May 1915, buried at Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery) was killed the other day. He was shot in the stomach and died in a hospital tent 24 hours afterwards. Poor chap, he was always talking about being hit in the stomach.

I cannot give you any news as we have been ordered not to do so.

The post corporal is just going off with any letters and papers so I will send these few lines to you today, I will try to answer your Malta letter later.

Be good little girl. I hope you are having a good time and have found all your people well. Please give them all my love.

Lots of love and kisses my bally wife,

Arthur.

Letter 7 - From Galipolli. There is a forwarded letter included with this letter from Cox and Co. (LOndon bankers), it is addressed to Captain A. L. Spafford, 1/6th Lancashire Fusiliers, East Lancashire Division, Egypt.

On active service

Mrs Arthur Spafford

Waterloo House,

Waterloo Road,

Bedford

4 June 1915

Dearest Kiddie,

Cox and Co. write to me to ask for a specimen signature of yours, in fact he asks for two on the same sheet of paper, I was under the impression that I had sent them one but I am evidently mistaken. Did we not settle that you should go and call at 16 Charing Cross if you went up to town, I thought we had, perhaps you could not find time to go or perhaps you did go but if you did not go please send him your Christian name in full that is your proper signature in the meantime Cox say they will honour your cheque on my a/c.

Now to answer your letter d/20th. I am glad to hear that you had such an easy passage home and that the RFA officer was so useful, it must have been very awkward finding no porters about. You are not having a very long stay in London, I wonder if you went to have a look at our club? I like that word ‘our’ it seems so jolly having everything in common.

What a good little Kiddie you are to take so much trouble with your accounts, I knew you would do your best just because I asked you, I shall give you a nice present at the end if they are all nicely entered up!

The papers give a good account of the play you went to see at The Gaiety, wouldn’t it be fun if we could go together? Perhaps we may be able to do so soon.

Of course I should want you if I was wounded my Kiddie, but it would be not worthwhile you coming out again at this time of year unless I was very bad. A great many wounds are very slight and the wounded are back again with their units in quick time. Don’t worry dear but do just exactly what you think is best, if you are very lonely and the only bearable thing to do is to get work and nurse then I suppose you had better do some nursing and not reckon on the fact that I may want you.

Thank you ever so much for the magazine which I will read when I get the opportunity, I looked through it quickly to see if you had made any notes and of course I found both. The one with the lady and the child is lovely, much too lovely to think about out here.

I often wonder to myself at night if it would have been wiser and kinder of me to have been more selfish during the last few months in order that you might now possibly have an added interest in your loneliness, I do feel for you so much my sweetheart now that you are all by yourself but you must not allow yourself to feel depressed about it, think Kiddie soon perhaps we shall be together again and how happy we shall be, no more worries and hard work trying to do an impossible task (it is in many ways more impossible now since business men are not soldiers in the true sense of the word and I don’t think ever will be) but just a life long happiness with plenty of good solid work.

In my own way I too am lonely, that is I miss you most awfully, I want to tell you all my small worries, I want even to argue!! But above all I want to put my arms around you and tell you how sorry I am that I was so inconsiderate to you on many occasions when you used to argue or did small things which I did not like.

Think Kiddie of the lovely times we had and how much we enjoyed ourselves on so many occasions, wait patiently for these good times to come once more in their own good time.

Once more I have to thank you for the very useful present you sent me, I shall not have time to test it properly before I send this but it is just one of the things I wanted most awfully when you sent it to me. No one ever bothered to send me things before and although the girls write now and then I have never had anyone to write to me regularly like you do. I do so much appreciate all you do and have done my little Kiddie, no man was ever blessed with such a devoted and loving wife and I appear not to appreciate it because I am always teasing you and saying you don’t feel; what a great big loving heart you have tucked away and deep down I know it, feel it and love you for it.

When you go up to Chapel, wake up the old Pater, have a look at the trap and if you can arrange to sell it I believe it would be best to have the money instead of the trap, it is very hard to find a market for it and I doubt if we shall be ever able to sell it.

You say in your letter that Doris received a post card from Maurice posted when we landed, I posted you a letter and have written as often as I could ever since but have addressed all your letters to 120 Hare Street, by now you ought to have a dozen or so, so cheer up dear and don’t get it into your head that you are neglected. I also saw in the paper that the Division had taken ground to the front, I only wish I could write and tell you all about it but we are supposed not to say anything about the tactical situation, nor are we allowed to mention names (?), regts., brigades or divisions.

You say you and Mrs Roe had to sleep on the M-P train to save money instead of going in a sleeper as the others did. My Kiddie, you was not obliged so to do, in fact I am always asking you to look after yourself and not to worry about money but I certainly think you were right in doing as we are not as well off as the others and we ought to save all we can by little sacrifice on our parts. I do think you and Mrs Roe were saints for travelling as you did and more especially because the others with you did differently, but don’t even think I mind how much comfort you seek because I don’t, my earnest wish is for your health and comfort and happiness.

I also am trying to compete for the situation of saint, purposely I spend not a (illegible) in order that you may have all I can give you in case anything happens to me and secondly I know it is wisest and best to save while we may; many fellows are buying figs, chocolate, cigarettes etc. but I try to do on the ration of tobacco we get and the many things you got for me before I left, I haven’t yet used all the soap you gave me before I left Twiton (?), I don’t want you to do the same as myself and in fact I want you to buy things for yourself because I am saving money.

Really I think I am trying to be a nice hubby to make up for my past sins (shepherds at night) I want to be able to wipe that naughty night off the date together with the other naughty bad times, like telling you off before Maurice about going to Alex instead of staying at Cairo after we left, how my heart did bleed when you cried about it afterwards. I wanted to cut myself up in little bits only I knew you would look for the bits afterwards and try and put them together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Well I have answered all your letter and have spent quite a nice long time writing to you so will now stop.

All my love little one and many, many kisses. Look after yourself, be good, enjoy yourself, be patient and think of your very loving husband.

Arthur.

PS Please forward enclosed to Cox, he will know you are the real and proper person.

Letter 8 - From Galipolli.

On active service

Mrs Arthur Spafford

Claughton,

St Annes-on-Sea.

3 July 1915

Dearest Kiddie,

I did not write to you yesterday. Last night I got a letter from you d/11 June from Chapel, you call it an addenda and you talk of all sorts of nice things to eat which are on their way out here, I am impatient, but it is not the eatables I want, I require your letters, they are so important, but read as I will I cannot get to know lots of things which it is necessary for me to know. What room have you got dear, is it a decent one? Have they given you enough room to put your clothes in? Have you a big glass (?), oh Kiddie I want to know all these things.

Think, I have taken you out of a lovely home where you had everything you wanted and now left you stranded to look after yourself or for others to look after you. Is it not natural I want to know how you are being treated and if you have everything you require; perhaps you cannot have everything you require as I am included in that word and you don’t have me just yet, you dear angel child do you want me awfully badly, I guess you do.

I don’t know how many letters you have received but in previous letters I have told you about Galloway, Greenwood is fit and well but very sad at having to part with the mare; personally I am not so sorry as now I will be obliged to ride another (and I shall see to it) more comfortable gee. Poggly is well but there is not too much grass and the horses don’t get enough exercise.

What is Trevor’s young lady like, have you seen her? I do hope he comes safely through the war for her sake, it must be a terrible thing to be a wife today, yours is the hardest part these days.

I will give your message to Galloway about the parcel, I suppose it was not urgent or you would have asked Aunty Lily to take it over to Mrs Galloway.

How amusing about the pipe etc. from Chapel, what a good thing it was I acknowledged them, I wonder which shop it was that you went into and mentioned about the pipe.

I try to imagine you walking about in Chapel and everyone looking at you and saying what a lucky young fellow, eh but she’s a beauty! You are pretty Kiddie and so good and you are all mine my very, very own and I am so happy when I think of you.

Before I forget it dear get some other envelopes next time you write from Chapel, the last two letters I have received the letter has been almost out of the envelope, the sides seem to give way.

I have waited all day for this other letter you have written but it has not come, I am miserable.

Today I saw some more things in the paper about the 6th. I see Heywood has been writing things about the CO, Lees and myself. Mr Storey has gone off to hospital, he looks an awful wreck, I am glad Mrs S cannot see him at present, he will be very shortly back with her I expect.

There was rather an amusing letter from our band Sgt. who is wounded in Alex, he writes to Trentanall (?) ‘I hear Lady R. visits us from time to time, she has a job cutting bread and butter in one of the hospitals here’. I think Lady R. will be surprised when she sees her husband has gone to England. The men I hear are very fed up about his going and write home to say they cannot get leave when they want to return home.

How I should like to return home and have a week with you in town, wouldn’t it be fun Kiddie, just a few days together again even if we had to part afterwards.

Mrs Harry Heap tells me Leonard Brierley has a job at York, how pleased Olive must be.

Well I will close this letter now, sending you as always all my love and many kisses.

Your own hubby, Arthur.

Letter 9 - From Galipolli.

Mrs Arthur Spafford

Lingarth,

Falinge Road.

8 July 1915

Dearest Kiddie,

Oh what a happy boy I am but a puzzled one too. Today I receive two letters one d/17 June another d/20 June and a paper of 23 June but I have not received any letter or parcel which you spoke of in your ‘addenda’ letter dated June 11th, perhaps the letter was inside the parcel and parcels do take a long time to come, I will wait patiently. Oh and I am so glad you say you can easily read my letters, because I always feel rather shy about writing, even to you, as I know how awful my writing is, now I shall write more and more I expect, so beware.

The mails, I know you would not understand, the letters go and arrive when and how they can, there is no regular service, that is one reason why I write every day I am able, it is not the only reason, guess please Kiddie dear.

Sometimes we get letters in the wrong order because something has happened to stop a boat with mails and then another boat has brought a later lot before the previous boat has come along.

Now I am going to spend a very happy hour or two answering your letter received today, you say I might not have time to read many letters, oh Kiddie could anything at all stop me reading your letters when they arrived, you know nothing could and you are simply looking for nice things to be said to you, I won’t say them so there.

Thank you very much for the photo of Marguerite and baby, I don’t see any great change in Marguerite, but I am quite sure she is thinner, she does not look after herself sufficiently, I will try to answer her letter tomorrow.

Why do you think Mrs Roe will be tired of you before a fortnight is over, oh you naughty little Kiddie how you dare say such things I cannot think; you know you are the dearest little girl in all the world and loved by everyone who comes into contact with you, it must be very nice for people to have you in their houses, I only hope Mrs Roe has not bored you to tears by grumbling! You have most likely already told me of your visits, I shall be glad to know how you liked being back in Rochdale as Mrs Spafford.

You say my people are going away and therefore you do not know when you can go back; I know that Father has told you that you may consider our home as your own and I want you to understand that it is meant, the altered circumstances do not make any difference except as perhaps your own personal comfort. You may find that Mother is not so well, in which case it is a little trying living at home and if you find it is so after you have gone back again then you must let me know. Mother is so sweet and kind when she is well, but very unreasonable if she is not well. Of course it does not matter spending a little money to live with your mother and at any time you want to live with her you may do so. I will try and write to Father again very soon and will say all you wish me to say, I am certain he has loved having you with him, you have cheered him up considerably, I can read that between the lines of your letter.

Poor old Arthur he will be but a poor companion after his brilliant Father who never explains any more than is absolutely necessary but leaves the rest to the understanding, my place is on the football or cricket field or fishing line, I spoil everything when I try to be brilliant in a drawing room.

You may take it from me that I am not very likely to be for some time a Major, we have too many senior officers on the staff but I will let you into a secret which I have not told anyone. The Brigadier sent forward my name in his list of recommendations but of course this really means nothing, however who knows?

I did not open the letters addressed to you because I know you would think I was playing cricket if I didn’t and I always play cricket with you.

What a lucky beggar Captain Luker is, he was with me in SA (Note – 2nd Lt. R. Luker was with the 4th Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers in South Africa during the Boer War), also Oliver North (Capt) SA (Note – 2nd Lt. O. H. North was with the 4th Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers in South Africa during the Boer War) who has been mentioned in despatches; to be decorated by the King is a distinction indeed.

The casualties you give me from here I know but please go on giving them to me because sometimes it is not always possible to know them. Captain Willis was not wounded, he fell over when charging (changing?) and sprained his ankle and has gone to hospital, the missing are official and I fear are dead, but perhaps they are prisoners.

The following is a true account of Captain Shaw and for fear any press censor opens the letter and wants to destroy what I may write I write it on one separate sheet ‘A’ which can be destroyed without harming my letter. I should think well over what I have written and tell his sister as much or as little as you would wish told to you were the officer myself. If Captain Shaw has been captured he will be very well treated and due official notification will come through from the enemy that he is a prisoner and wounded or unwounded as the case may be.

Poor little Sam, I was so sad when he got killed, in fact I was so sad I could not possibly pluck up enough courage to write to his mother, I am so glad you wrote to her; about 2 hours before he got shot he was having tea with me, he had had nothing to eat all day when I found him and so I gave him some tea and I had a pot of jam and after helping himself to about half of it (and of course I rotted him about it) he asked if he might go on eating as he had had nothing all day and was so hungry; I had arranged to go with him to make or rather complete his sketches of the enemy trenches when I was suddenly called away, as he went off by himself, we sent him down to the cemetery to be buried and I collected all his belongings, he had a photo of his sister in his breast pocket.

I am so glad you have decided to write oftener (sic), I love your letters so much my sweetheart and if I do any good work it will not only be from a keen sense of duty but also because I have the dearest and best woman in all the world continually thinking of me and wishing me to do well.

Please don’t send a woolly helmet, I still have poor Sam’s; I may want something later on but with luck you will know my socks, pants and the rough towel are all in pieces but I can manage a bit longer perhaps, my pyjamas are also torn but that was an accident because I only wore them one night after we got our rest. Things seem to arrive all night so perhaps you could send me two pairs of short pants (cellular) size 34 or 36, three pairs of thin socks (I cannot wear thick ones) and a small rough towel and one pair of my pyjamas if you can get at the last mentioned, if not and you buy them get cotton or silk not wool or flannel, please don’t spend much as I want to save everything I can for you and remember to send the things in a proper parcel as a great many parcels arrive with half the things having broken through the paper of the parcel.

Do you know Kiddie that we have over £200 in Cox now and that is after deducting £15 each week since May for you and not counting Williams Deacons Bank and the Post Office Savings Bank, am I not a good hubby and won’t we have a real honeymoon after the war, I will give you such lots of nice things because I don’t want anything for myself and I do want you to have lots of nice toys and pretty clothes.

I have not finished the cigars yet, the bottom layer is still unsmoked, also there are three of those Boots smelling salts and one piece of soap still unused. The towels are all in good order still, but I do like a rough towel for my feet and legs and that is why I ask for another when I already have 4 good ones.

I don’t think any of us looked to see if our parcels from Port Said were unstamped, if I had been the post master you wouldn’t have succeeded unless you had made the request.

So you did like the flower, I thought you would, perhaps I will send another but not a poppy at present as there are none here, the best colour here is a blue thistle which looks perfectly lovely and on almost every one you see one or more butterflies perched.

I sent you another cigarette card to play with, did you get it? What other toys has poor Kiddie got, not many I fear and the biggest toy of all the lot is away playing with great big toys himself, he won’t have forgotten how to play when he comes home so keep up with the toys and be ready to play when he comes home.

Now, how about the Egyptian costume, shall we leave it on the chance of you coming out again this winter? If we don’t do this either you or I will have to write to Mrs Hicks to get it for you and then what about the size etc.? I don’t know what I want, have I not got you my darling? But I shall get you to buy me something because your presents to me are very sacred and loved, especially the ring you gave me and so I will think of something and let you know what it is. The photos of the married ladies bathing are looked forward to for next week.

Am I not to tell you to enjoy yourself without me? Poor dear Kiddie are you as lonely as all that? You must not be over anxious about me, in due time all this war game will be over and we will play together in safety. I like you to say you would like me with you if we had a child, I do really believe that I should be very tender and kind to you and look after you as you like to be looked after. You must not worry your dear head about such cases as Mrs Stanley Jackson except from the point of view of beautifying the event, I expect she felt how much more serious life had become and how much more was expected of her and then after all it was most likely her husbands dearest wish that she should give him a child and in which case she could feel that he had died knowing that his wish would be law soon after his death. If she was hysterically inclined perhaps the child might be affected but it would be her fault if it was. I am glad we didn’t have one, it would have been impossible for you to be by yourself at such a time.

Now little one be charitable about Miss Poate, she must have been in a terrible dilemma when she heard about our fight. And must have considered whether to send a wire or not. Of course what has happened since then I do not know, but you say she is furious because you did not stop, that seems odd certainly as I don’t think she is justified in saying how you are to act on a piece of information voluntarily given. If I happen to get wounded you must not wire and ask if you can come out and if you did I should not say ‘please yourself’ did I do that about your coming out before? I should try to write to you but at any rate get someone to write to you and it would be plenty of time as you never know where you will get to eventually and you could not chase around after me from hospital to hospital.

Now I must stop, a message has just arrived to pack up and go back to the sound of shot and shell, well we have had a really good rest. (see PPS).

I will try and finish answering your letters tomorrow, in the meantime, au revoir, I am so glad you feel so much happier this time than last.

All my love my dear, dear Kiddie,

Your own hubby,

Arthur.

XXXXXX

PS - Will write about Capt. Shaw soon as possible.

PPS - Move again cancelled or postponed.

Letter 10 - From Galipolli.

On active service

Mrs Arthur Spafford

Lingarth,

Falinge Road.

14 July 1915

Dearest Kiddie,

Good morning to you my sweetheart. I wonder where you are and at what time of day this will reach you. Today seems fairly quiet, we are all recovering from the last two days. Young Eric is busy writing reports on a barbed wire entanglement position which although put up by the RE he does not consider good enough. Maurice has got wind of the above report and so writes at least four reports per hour re some machine guns which he thinks will, can or should worry him in the near future. They both are dear good boys and work so well, the former is still in B Coy but Maurice is OS D Coy.

We are all very cheerful but the flies and heat make one weak a bit, at last I have heard Lees mutter something wicked in the last hour. Talking of Lees reminds me that his gee has been wounded in three places, a shrapnel bullet, the wounds are not bad ones, the horse belonged to Mrs Turner of Rochdale, I don’t know which Mrs Turner.

I don’t think I told you about one 1st Battn., it charged and took a whole battery of 4 guns and 180 prisoners, the breech blocks had been removed from the guns so that the guns are no use to us at once, but wasn’t it a great feat?

We have done our little bit and it does not do to say too much, especially as so many letters have already been in the papers and have caused much anger and annoyance here. One incident amongst others I might mention; one of our men captured a machine gun which was being worked by 3 men and an officer, he received the DCM, one of the Colour Sgts. also received this most coveted decoration.

Well life is very pleasant without a certain gentleman, I hope he will remain at home, doubtless your much hated lady will manage to keep him in England.

Before I forget it, I want to get something for Fathers birthday (18 August) could you get him a present for me? I used to get him a box of cigars from Taylor’s his tobacconist but I don’t think he smokes them now, he prefers cigarettes, so please get him 200 of these and put the enclosed in the parcel; if you are not in M’chester about this time get them when you can. One of the family will tell you where Taylor’s shop is or Mrs Street will tell you and Taylor will tell you which are the right cigarettes (Virginian). Please pay for them but don’t take it out of your £15 a month.

I had just got this far when a man came up to me and out of his haversack produced 3 letters and an Illustrated War News, two letters were from you d/24th and 26th and one from Auntie Lillie; oh Kiddie thank you so much for your letters, they are so much to me, I cannot answer them in detail today as the wily enemy are giving us a bit of trouble and I can only write bits of sentences at a time but I will answer all I can.

I wondered if you would ever go to stay with Mrs. Roe because I thought you were not too friendly and shall I say thought she grumbled too much to be a cheerful companion, however you are there and I hope enjoying yourself it must be very nice sitting in the garden if the weather is nice. I wonder if you have been playing tennis. I am so glad you ordered the blue coat and skirt, the other was not in keeping with your position! Do order all you want Kiddie mine, you know I want you always to look nice and also I know you like nice clothes.

It was very nice to hear about the things you had bought but you don’t seem to have got very much. I am glad you have taken the blue ribbon off of that hat, I wonder what it looks like without the yellow daisies on it? Let me know how the cotton dress makes up, what a hard working Kiddie it is to make so many things.

Thank you for sending a balaclava helmet and also the two pieces of soap, I will write and tell you when they arrive.

No, Greenwood is not wounded. How funny that Sandy S should have got into the 2nd Battn.

Thank you ever so much for ordering the shoes, they will be most useful but I do hope they are not too small. Why was Uncle Harry’s late maid always asking after me? Did she remember a certain evening when I sat next to the sweetest Kiddie in all creation and did she observe and understand, I almost think it must have been so for truth to tell I don’t remember her at all. We had trifle, do you remember? No of course you don’t, your eyes weren’t open and you were thinking of someone else! Have you got Pi-Pi another toy yet? Do get something nice, I don’t like giving cheap things unless they are nice of course, don’t let him forget the bricks through his delight at a new toy.

Oh Kiddie don’t let any nearly kiss you, I am glad you hate him if that is the reason that you hate him for, personally I have only ever felt great sorrow for Chris S. because he is so handicapped, but I could easily hate anyone who nearly kissed you; don’t be too nice to men until you know them very well will you darling?

I thought it might be a joke about the nursing but if you really mean you want to nurse very much you must do some, months may pass before this old war is over.

I did not buy any figs or tobacco and our messing only came to ten shillings each week whilst we were ‘at rest’ and now we spend nothing again and live on rations, supplementing them with a few things we bought before leaving Egypt, luckily Lees is all for saving money as he has been mess president since we came here we have opened nothing.

All right Kiddie we will go all night together on a sleeper together on our honeymoon to Scotland. Do I write you so much nicer letters now than I did before? Is this not your doing? You have made me fonder of you as day followed day and I am sure no man has appreciated and understood what a blessed thing the love of a good woman is as I have and am doing I wish I could do more and more for you than I have done and can do, but given time I can do a lot and my object has always been the same, to make you very, very happy and just because at times I have made you unhappy so I have also made you happy, is this not as my sweetheart? If we had had all smooth and no rough we should not have ‘got at’ each other and no amount of ‘rough’ will ever do you or I any lasting harm because we love each other very dearly and never mean to be unkind or inconsiderate; Kiddie I am learning such a lot just now and see things more clearly than I have ever done before and good and loving as I have known you always, I am now only beginning to realize how good and loving you are; you see I have never had anybody to love before, at least I have never given anybody the right to look after and love me and the shock has now taken my breath away.

Now I must run away so good night darling. Be good my loving little wife and think ever and always of your dear hubby.

Lees has just told me that Mrs. L. has asked you to stay there, if you go there you will enjoy yourself, I think I should go if I were you, Mrs. L. seems very nice. By the way could you hire a horse and me the trap; I will write more about it tomorrow.

Your own hubby,

Arthur.

Letter 11 - From Galipolli.

On active service

Mrs Arthur Spafford

Lyngarth

15 July 1915 5.00 am

Dearest Kiddie,

Such an uncomfy boy this morning, he could not sleep last night and at 4 he got up (awoke) stiff and cold as he forgot to put on the woolly jacket. I am now going to finish answering your letters but before hand I will tell you that the letter arrived about 9.00 am (sic) last night d/10th June, it was all correct but the side of the envelope was broken open and I took the letter out at the side without further opening the envelope. It is such a nice long letter and after I have answered the other two letters I will answer that one.

So the pinks have come back my Kiddie and yet I to whom they belong cannot behold them, oh wicked fate; keep them for me dear and also all the other physical beauties you posess, your hair, your eyes (so blue and cold!) look long at the mirror and think of me, you must then see how desirable you are.

I do not think it is any good sending me out another photo, I have nowhere to put it, but always send me any snap shots that are taken of you, I can keep them in my pocket.

I am so sorry Galloway brought the coloured photo out, if it had not been lost it would have been broken (illegible) this and I told him not to bring it, I wanted to keep it so very much but it was not as good of you as it might have been, it is lost now for certain.

I wondered if you would understand about ‘On the right there is nothing new’, it was a joke in Punch in the daily communication from France, every day they used to read ‘on the left so and so’, ‘in the centre so and so’, on the right there is nothing new’. Punch by his wit has put a stop to the monotonous wording of that communiqué.

I can always see ‘land and water’ so please don’t send it out. Capt. Joyce was very nice, an Irishman, he has now left us again and we are sorry.

You say you have forgotten to brush and grease your hair. Naughty Kiddie when you know how much I admire your hair, it is not only yours now but it belongs to me and so you must look after it for me. Yes you must try to brush it for 10 mins. Every night and morning because that was the time you yourself gave me and said that it was necessary for that length of time.

Dear little woman it is bad luck your having to say your prayers by yourself, but remember I am always thinking and imagining you saying them just as you have done the last few months and I am with you darling at such times so really you are not alone.

So the trap is alright, would it be possible for you to use it and so amuse yourself? If you can hire a nice quiet horse and drive about a bit, do so if you like, the trap and horse could be cleaned by the stablemen just opposite the White House; please thank Marguerite for looking after the (illegible) it was very kind of her.

How nicely you write dear it is so easy to read and when you wrote the last two letters you were not tired. If the shoes are too small for me shall I send them back for you to wear? I certainly shall not give them to someone else unless you don’t want them, it is hardly likely they would fit anyone else here. Many thanks for the smelling salts, I will tell you when they arrive.

Please Kiddie do not listen to any rumours about me being wounded or killed, I wonder Mrs Scott bothered even to consult with Mr Scott on a rumour. I have been killed three times by rumour and one fellow told some men that he had seen me being buried, it is very wrong to rumour over these things but one cannot stop it somehow. Why should Miss P. say I was wounded? Perhaps you mean she said she heard I was wounded? I will promise to write and advise as early as possible if anything happens so don’t listen to rumours.

I shall be glad to get the book by Hillaire Belloc, you are a kind and thoughtful little girl and I do so love you for it. Kiddie honestly no-one has loved me and looked after me until you came along and it will take one perhaps years before I can appreciate you to the full but inside there is just a great longing to be awfully good and kind to you and I will try so hard to make your life happy and free from worry and trouble.

The prayer beads were taken from a trench we had driven the enemy out of, I think in their hurry to depart the chaplain left his beads, I unfortunately cannot give you more of its history than are contained in the few printed lines I sent.

Yes, I think you must accept my letters as presents now, in the few words I write however you get a whole world of lovely thoughts and messages, I want to write to you all the time and tell you how much I love you, my present is one long continuous one which does not wear out or break but becomes more beautiful and valuable as time goes on. Keep it sweetheart and wear it on your heart and when you go about your daily life let it be seen in the light of your eyes and brightness of countenance.

Thank you for sending the indelible pencil, I will tell you when it arrives but I shall not address the envelopes with it because if it gets wet it smudges and one cannot read it, we are now forbidden to write messages in the field in indelible pencil as one day when it was wet no messages could be read. The fountain pen would be most useful but I doubt if I could get any ink except at rare intervals. I will tell you what you might send me, a respirator, the government ones are not much use but Lees got a very good one last mail called ‘Freer’s Free Air’ respirator sold by Brookfields, 52 Green Gate, Stafford. Please send me one and pay for it. I could order it myself only I thought you would rather get it for me.

I don’t want any more boots thank you Kiddie, my oldest pair have been stitched up. I hope the betting at Lloyds and on the Stock Exchange is dead on for a cert but I doubt it.

I am glad you got the book for the photos, I ought to have got it for you in Cairo, of course you may get what you want dear, always when I am not there to look after you.

I cannot understand what you say about the accounts but never mind, if you are now straight it is quite alright, but you are a naughty girl once more, you say you cannot add the accounts up because of P.T. France and English money. Oh wicked Kiddie, you mean it is too much trouble, can you not get everything down to the same kind of money by working out the P.T. at 2 ½ d and Frances at 102, but perhaps you have been so long in Cairo and France that you do not understand English money! Do you mean you spent £15 and £8 and the spare cash I gave you all in May? I thought I gave you enough to get home on and pay all the expenses as well and that you would have £15 when you got home untouched except the £2-10s we put down and deducted. It really doesn’t matter anyway as long as you remember you can have just as much as you require and that I want you to look after yourself and be as comfortable as money can make you.

It is nice to hear you say that you are proud of me and that you have good accounts of my behavior, I will try to go on doing well. I will give your kind regards to Major A. and General F.

It is all right to send things but honestly I have everything I want. We are not allowed to say what we think about the war and I think very few regulars do say anything. I do not open the officers letters but put them on their word of honour not to divulge anything except about their friends doings etc. At first I read all the men’s letters myself but after a time there were so many written that I could not find time to read them, so I passed the franking of letters onto Coy Commanders and their subaltern officers, after they have franked them I censor them, I frank and censor most of the officers letters but without reading them.

Now I must close dear so au revoir.

All my love darling and a big kiss. X

Your own hubby, Arthur.

PS Don’t bother about sending a refill for the flash light, Lees has got some refills which I will use for the present, in any case you would not know the size.

A.

Letter 12 - From Galipolli. The reference to the VC winner is presumably Captain Cuthbert Bromley (one of the famous 'six VC's before breakfast).

On active service

Mrs Arthur Spafford

120 Hare Street

Rochdale

Lancashire

England

West Bank

20 July 1915

Dearest Kiddie,

No letter or postcard to you yesterday, it was one of those ‘muddly’ days on which we got ready to do a hundred jobs but never did any of them. Today we are going up into the firing line trenches again, we have not been long away from them have we! I hear we are to get a draft of many officers and a few men. Amongst the officers I believe is Eric Molesworth, I am glad he is coming out.

The Rochdale paper just now is rather amusing, I wonder what the Colonel thinks of it all, I suppose Miss P. is responsible for the paras about him being Commander of Cairo, I do so hope he stops away and leaves us in peace.

I had rather an amusing talk with Maurice yesterday, he says that he narrowly escaped being sponged down and dressed by our bridesmaid (Miss L.) who is helping as a nurse in Alex. He seems to have seen a good deal of her afterwards because he said they daily went mixed bathing. He says she is ‘rather a dear but her figure is awful’, not a word of all this to Doris to whom he is very devoted. Doris I hear is very jealous of you and thinks you have improved with matrimony, from what she says to Maurice you are certainly Mrs A. Spafford with a big ‘S’. I am pleased.

L/C Cosgrove comes up to me, (illegible) he smiles, he produces 2 letters and once again I am supremely happy. What a dear, dear Kiddie wife to write one such a nice lot of letters, one is dated 29th June and the other 30th of June. I will answer them now if I am left in peace.

You will glad to hear that the hands are better, in fact quite well again. They got so bad that I had to do something. I only had Vaseline put on my hands, wrapped up to keep the sun off they got alright in about 4 days. The (spotties?) are no worse but I believe a little better. The conditions one lives in does not tend to keep your skin healthy although your body health may be perfect. No baths, sleeping in your day clothes, too much sweat, too little green food to eat is not good for too long together.

By the way, this reminds me. Did we put any naphthalene into my 100lb kit which is left at the base! Lees thinks that all our kits will be ruined and wants to know if he can get a fortnights leave to go and have a look at his! I tell him to put in for it and take the application to little Willie himself and see what sort of a welcome he gets.

Well, I am looking after myself my dear but I can’t do much by myself as you know and if you won’t come and look after me, well!

I was suddenly reminded about this yesterday; we have quite a number of unnecessary casualties through carelessness and men being too curious and looking over the trenches. Before the evening meal I saw a man exposing himself unnecessarily and told him off. I told him his life was valuable to the regiment; well when I was finished and he saw I was not very angry he said ‘May I say something Sir?’ so I said ‘Yes’. ‘Well (he said), you are always telling us men not to expose ourselves and yet you don’t show us a good example’ and then he had the cheek to give me an instance or two when we were in action. Poor me. I had to stay there five full minutes and explain to him that in action everyone must expose themselves and show no funk, but it was ones duty to ones country (I left out wife) not to throw away ones life in a careless fashion.

I am sorry to hear about Mrs. Galloway. I wonder if it is because he spoils her or because she is a naturally dirty woman and now she is away she gets more untidy? I should not go again unless by going you can help her to mend her ways, if she is by nature everything that is horrid a visit or two from you would do no good however.

Please don’t listen to any rumours about me being wounded, I have promised to let you know at the earliest possible moment if anything happens to me. I would willing hide anything from you which would pain you but I know it would pain you more to hear from some outside source something which was about myself. Galloway should not put such a thing in his letter but it is extraordinary how both officers and men who are away get rumours which have not got the slightest truth in them but I suppose in each case there is just something to go on and the rumour grows.

So you are going to St. Anne’s. I am pleased for two reasons. You will get some bathing and as you must go and stay with Auntie Lillie sometime it is pleasanter to spend it away on their holidays than boxed up in that house at Rochdale. I am so sorry dear to hear that England does not suit you, well, when this old war is over it is likely we may be quartered abroad for some years so cheer up and think of a nice warm climate again.

Cannot you do anything to cure the indigestion and neuralgia? Do remember to wear warm things, eat a little and often, take lots of exercise, don’t bend over for too long together either writing or sewing. I won’t tell father Kiddie only I do wish you would tell him yourself because I am not there to look after you and I hate to think of you being in pain. When I come home I will take you to a specialist to see what can be done, we must stop that continual pain.

Your accounts are exactly right, that’s good dear, you will evidently secure the prize at the end. The photos I was glad to get but I can’t see your face very well, you look very happy, you are evidently thinking of me! Mrs Storey looks very serious, Mrs Heywood looks simply enquiring. What are you trying to do with your legs? Must you fidget?

At last we have got a VC. I believe that we have never had one before, how pleased the Regiment will be but it is sad to think that we cannot now congratulate him. This poisonous gas must be an awful rotten thing and about the most cadish (sic) and low down kind of game I ever heard of. Up to date the enemy have played the game like gentlemen and except for the odd case or two both sides have fought clean, I dread to think what will happen if these fellows use gas; it is hard to hold in our fellows now but it will be impossible if no rules are observed.

Why do you think I will be bored by all the things you send me! Nothing you have sent has been unnecessary and I should say has shown much thoughtfulness and consideration on your part; certainly there is great excitement when one receives a parcel and one feels it is a present inside. I am glad you liked the black beads, now I cannot send you presents when I want to.

I am very puzzled about August 8th. I wrote to father telling him I wanted him to get something for you but somehow I don’t think that is satisfactory in a way, because he can’t get just what I want I will put my thinking cap on and decide something by the time I finish this letter, I think I know what I am going to do now as I have thought of this for sometime and I believe it will please you most.

I am so sorry for poor Capt. Scott, please give him my love and say how much we all miss him, of course we want him back but he is not to worry at all but think only of getting fit and well, he was lucky having Mrs Scott with him all the time.

We have sent forward young Smith’s name and Maurice’s to be temporary Captains, they are both much too young of course but I think that the man on the spot who does the work ought to be promoted and given a chance.

It would be an excellent opportunity for you if Mrs Scott comes out, but it is just a little early to consider this yet. I should like you to come out with her dear and spend another winter abroad but I cannot say just yet what is best for you. It is not necessary for you to come out as you can stick it so much better this time.

Kiddie is your love growing cold? Am I no longer a necessity to your existence? I certainly want you nearer, much nearer.

Do send some chocolates to Phil, he would be very pleased I’m sure. How funny meeting Russell again.

So you have been in bed and there was no hubby to look after you and be kind to you, at any rate Kiddie I have thought about it all and wondered if you had been having a bad time or if you had found it was better now that you have been married, I am so sorry for you dear.

What is the new dress like? It will do for Egypt you say. It will be very nice to have a woolly scarf later on in the year, I will thank you when I get it. I should not mind having one or two hankies but let them be coloured and cheap ones and not more than three.

Now I will tell you what I have thought of for August 8th (the date inside the ring), by the way you will tell me if I forget any of the other dates, I have such a bad memory. I thought that there were lots of things that you would want that you would not buy for yourself and I know how expensive nice things are so I am sending you £5 for yourself to be spent on just whatever you like, either a lot of small things or a really nice hat or anything else you want very much. I hope this present is what you want but doubtless you will let me know, anyone will cash it for you.

Now, au revoir. Be a good little Kiddie and the time will pass, only not very quickly.

All my love and kisses to you darling from your own hubby,

Arthur.

That is the last letter I have from Captain Arthur Langworthy Spafford to his beloved wife Kiddie. He was killed just over two weeks later on 8 August 1915 and is buried in the Lancashire Landing Cemetery.

August 8 was 'the date inside the ring' as Arthur mentions above. It was obviously a date of great importance to them, perhaps the date they met or their wedding anniversary.

This letter is from 'Kenneth' in Greece. This is most likely Kenneth E Hart born about 1887 in Norwood, Surrey. Some of the later letters are countersigned K E Hart. The reference to an earlier letter being at 'the bottom of the sea' could be refering to the Mashobra, sunk off Cape Matapan nine days earlier (thats just a Google guess on my part though).

No. 5 Canadian General Hospital,

Salonika

Mrs A. L. Spafford (VAD)

No. 24 General Hospital

APO S11

BEF

France

23 April 1917

My dear Marjorie,

I have just received your letter dated 30th March. I was glad to hear again and to know that you are alright. I am awfully glad you have gone to France because I know how much you wanted to go, but I do hope you won’t find the work too great a strain. Things must be pretty thick in France just now, I know what they were like last year. In many ways I should like to be back there again but most of my friends are out here and I want to see a little more of this front before I leave it.

It is getting very hot out here now and the hospitals are very full, mostly malaria and dysentery. I wish they would return me to duty, I have been in hospital for nearly four months now and I am sick of it. I am rather afraid I shall not be long out here as the climate does not seem to agree with me. I have absolutely no energy left, all I want to do is sleep. I can’t understand it. I have never been like this before. I suppose I am getting old.

It is nearly a year now since I saw you and nearly six years since first we met. A great deal has happened since then. I remember you told me then that you wanted to be a hospital nurse and I said I would like to be a soldier, how little we knew of what was in store for us.

Your letter dated 1st of April has just arrived, I am sorry to hear you have measles, you do have bad luck. I do hope you are not very bad. You must hate being so far away from home. I do hope they are looking after you properly otherwise I may be anxious. There is no chance of me coming to see you this time. You must be very careful and do be careful not to take any risks.

I am very interested to hear more of this fellow in the 2nd Queens, tell me all about him will you?

I wrote to you last week but I am afraid that letter is now at the bottom of the sea.

Hoping you will soon be well again, with all best wishes,

Kenneth.