Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grave number?

Guest Dollycat

Guest Dollycat

Hi everyone,

Would someone be able to tell me how I can find out a grave number?

I have the details of where my GGrandfather is buried but not the grave number?

Thanks

Dollycat

DC.

Have you checked the Commonwealth War Graves Web-Site(CWGC) entry for your Grt/Grandfather?

This should give the information you require plus background information about the Cemetery.

George

p.s. I am making the assumption your Grt/Grandfather was a Commonwealth Soldier.If he was French,Belgian or German I cannot help directly but post the information and I am sure someone will help.

Dolly

Welcome to the Forum.

It depends on the type of grave he is buried in.

If he has a Commonwealth War Grave Headstone i.e. an official war grave you will find details here:

http://www.cwgc.org/

If it is a private burial then you should approach the local authority responsible for the cemetery in which he lies.

If this doesn't help you please post the details that you already have so that you query may be answered more fully.

Dave

Hi Dolly,

On the off-chance your Gt. Grandfather was French, then you may be able to access his records by logging on to the site which Joanna Legg and Graham Parker have created on 'The Great War 1914-1918.' Look for 'Le Ministere Des Pensions' and 'Memoires des Hommes.' Alternatively:

www.greatwar.co.uk/westfront/cemeteries/frcemies.htm

If nothing else, the site should provide a useful example of how the French honoured and remembered their dead.

Good Luck!

Dave