Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge ID

Redradial

Red,

How about Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars(Queeen Adelaides), only one I know with cypher & crown. The chain mail epaulettes are an indication that you're looking possibly at Yeomanry, rather than regular Cavalry.

Graham.

post-13832-1155288358.jpg

Thanks for that suggestion, Graham. I'll look into that.

I just found this Norfolk Yoemanry badge which looks similar. Would you go along with that? It seems there might be some scrollwork beneath the letters, though. Hmm?

Red

On reflection & you having confirmed his service in the Palestine Constabulary,in the 1920s,in your previous posting,I would venture that this could be their Collar Dog,{The Scroll on the Illustration,of the Regimental/Cap Badge often being omitted for Collar Badges}The Lettering does lend itself to an entwined "P"&"C"

[is the handwritten wording across the photo readable,a date??]

No, I cannot confirm this man was in the BPG, sorry if I gave that impression. My father was in the BPG, and this photo is in my father's album, but, although there is a resemblance, I am not sure this is my father. In fact, I doubt it is, if only for the discolouration of the photo. None of the others of him are so faded. It could be an uncle, I had several older than my father in various unknown (to me) regiments.

Infuriatingly, the handwritten dedication is not legible. It might say "Cheers, Gerald," and a date, but that is realy gueswork.

It does look like the Norfolks badge and I am trying to find a photo of a soldier of the same era to see if he carries the same shoulder epaulettes so far without success. The family was in Lancashire where my GF was in the King’s so I am puzzled why one of his son’s (if it is one his sons) should join the Norfolks. Would that be usual, to join a regiment across the other side of the country, I wonder.

The other idea that it could indeed be the BPG badge without the scroll is also intriguing. I have to find other photos of the same time, I guess, to compare.

Red

My only concern to it being Norfolk Yeomanry,is that the Cypher on NY is much more "open" the lettering being thinner,plainer & more script like,as if Handwritten,without the Floreate trimming that your man's badges appear to have.

The Palestine Gendarmerie Badge previously illustrated sans its Scroll,looks very much like his Collar Dogs

post-7376-1155320698.jpgpost-7376-1155320673.jpgpost-7376-1155320715.jpg

Gentlemen,

The contending collar badges. The surprise being the Norfolk Yeomanry which is nothing like their cap badge. 7th Q.O.Hussars, which although this has a Queens Crown was unchanged in design from it's former Kings Crown version. Finally the Q.O.Oxfordshire Hussars.

I've blown it up as far as possible and there is no scrolls below the cypher, on closer examination it doesn't look like a KC either. It's definatley Yeomanry, hence the shoulder chains.

Take your pick, or anyone esle got any collar badge photo's.

Graham.

Well, Graham Stewart’s post eliminates the Norfolks and, although the QO Oxford Hussars badge does look close, not only does the cipher appear more open but also the shape of the crown seems different so I would discard that for the moment.

It does look very much like the British Palestine Gendarmerie without the scroll.

It is surely not this Pay Corps badge. I bet they don’t wear mail epaulettes anyway!

post-13832-1155364085.jpg

Perhaps it could be a colonial badge?

Red

I'd plumb for the Palestine Gendarmerie. If you compare the outline of cypher of the badges in the photo and the post by HarryBettsMCDCM plus the top and bottom portions they pretty much match each other.,

Crunchy,

I can't imagine it being a Police or paramilitary Police unit wearing shoulder chains which are a distiction of Yeomanry Cavalry, but am willing to be proved otherwise with a photo.

Red,

Is there a photographers mark on the back of the photo?

Graham.

post-7376-1155375640.jpg

Palestine Police badge with intials in centre, not Gendarmerie. Collar badges for P.P. would have been same ar cap badge but smaller. Initialling is very simplified and not ornate as in photo.

Graham.

Graham,

You could well be correct. Its just that the collar badges in the photo appear to be a match with the HarryBettsMCDCM post. I agree the uniform appears to be Brit Army issue and has Yeomanry shoulder chains. What do we know about the Palestine Gendarmerie? Were they a military unit raised during the war?

I am pretty sure the collar badges aren't APC, they appear to be much narrower and don't match the outline.

Regards

Crunchy

Link::~A Short History Of The Palestine Police,Its Antecedents & Forebears.

Link::~Various Palestine Police/Gendarme Badges

{NB: the pre 1920 Palestine Police Badge Lettering & Gendarmerie Lettering in particular for X reference}

;)

Many of the original Gendarmerie were former RIC Men

A possibility??,as a quasi~military organisation presumably with former Military Officers @ its head,possibly former Cavalry/Yeomanry men,might they have adopted the Chain Mail Epaulettes @ the deference of their Commander??

Red:~

In an attempt to clarify if the gent in quesion is wearing BPG uniform I have taken he liberty of sending your picture directly to two of the PPOCA members in the hope they can confirm or deny the wearing of Mail epaulettes by the BPG & hopefully ID the badge~I await their responses

HB

post-13832-1155378213.jpg

I have had a go at editing the photo to try to bring up the contrast to improve legibility but I get a bit lost in Photoshop and this tiny image is not much improved.

There is no photographers mark on the back, unfortunately.

Red

post-13832-1155378386.jpg

This an image, unfortunately badly deteriorated, of my father in the BPG. One can at least see something of the hat badge which seems to have the scroll underneath.

Red

• 2 weeks later...
to clarify if the gent in quesion is wearing BPG uniform I have taken the liberty of sending your picture directly to two of the PPOCA members in the hope they can confirm or deny the wearing of Mail epaulettes by the BPG & hopefully ID the badge~I await their responses

I have had a reply from the PPOCA,whilst they had no record of any Palestine Gendarmerie men wearing Collar badges,they did however,state that in around 1924 about 30 men were formed into a Mounted Unit*,but had no information regarding uniform or badges.

They did however state they had few records of exactly what uniform was worn @ this time!

* which they state was "Experimental"

Thanks very much for your help in trying to ID this uniform, and to the PPOCA. I am now following up a couple of photographs which show my father at Maresfield Park either towards the end of the war or shortly afterwards. (See "Maresfield 1918" in Units and Formations. ) In one he is on a despatch rider's bike, on another he is on a horse. I am trying to discover if he might have joined the Engineer's Signal school there and if those mail epaulettes might have come into the equation. In both shots he is in uniform but the badge is indistiguishable.

Red