The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mills Bomb Manufacturers?

Gunner Bailey

Is anyone aware of a full list of Mills Bomb Manufacturers during the great war? If so, can you point me to it?

I've just acquired a nice No5 body marked FD (The D is below the F under the lever position). I'd like to know who made it.

I'm aware of Dave Sampson's great website but there seems to be no trace of FD on it.

Regards

Gunner Bailey

Is it definitely FD? Never come across FD but quite well known are DF (normally DFC or DFCo) for the Dudley foundry, also EF for Elmbank, FB for Fallows & Bate etc...

List of references here but Darryl Lynn's and Williamson's books have lists. Would not like to say that they were complete - an awful lot of manufacturers and contractors were involved in these things!

Grenade literature

Is it definitely FD? Never come across FD but quite well known are DF (normally DFC or DFCo) for the Dudley foundry, also EF for Elmbank, FB for Fallows & Bate etc...

List of references here but Darryl Lynn's and Williamson's books have lists. Would not like to say that they were complete - an awful lot of manufacturers and contractors were involved in these things!

Grenade literature

Hi Giles

Full details

With the grenade inverted the two letters are located under the lever position. The F is above the D, so it looks to be FD not DF. I'll try to post a photo later.

Gunner Bailey

It's clear enough but I'm stumped. These were made in foundrys up and down the land and they would not all be documented - just the main ones I guess.

It's clear enough but I'm stumped. These were made in foundrys up and down the land and they would not all be documented - just the main ones I guess.

Hi Giles

I've had a e-mail (off forum) from a knowledgable dealer who tells me this could be a mould stamp. The thing that made me think it was a manufacturers name stamp is that I have a 1915 No 5 made by Burman & Sons and that grenade had a B stamped into the body as well.

Any further on????

Gunner Bailey