Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edinburgh Haymarket

AB64

Can Anyone tell me what the local paper would have been for the Haymarket area of Edinburgh and where archives are kept? also where are the war memorials for the area? I'm trying to get more info on a casualty and hopefully a picture of his name on the memorial, he was from Orwell Terrace just off Dalry Road.

Thanks in advance

Alistair

I would have thought the Edinburgh Evening News or The Scotsman (part of the same group, I think). I had a quick look at the internet site but couldn't find much. My lot are from just up Morrison Street. Just found the Edinburgh Evening Dispatch.

Good luck.

Roxy

Edinburgh Evening Despatch are in the Scottish National Library in GIV Bridge and there may be some info in Edinburgh Central Library also GIV Bridge Edinburgh Room.

Aye

Malcolm

I used to live in Orwell Terrace...

Best place I can think of is the libraries that Malcolm has mentioned.

Apparently Edinburgh Council threw out the City Roll of Honour a few years ago....

This is a small world, I lived on Orwell Terrace (No 9) until my parents moved in 1976. There are 2 local schools, Dalry School in Dalry Road (which I'm fairly sure is still in existence) and Orwell School in Orwell Place. Maybe your soldier attended one of these as a child. There was a church in Orwell Terrace, St Bride's, it must have had a memorial. The building is still there but no longer a church.

Kevin

St Brides is now a theatre, full of Festival Fringe people at the moment but.. it belongs to Edinburgh Council.... you know, the ones who threw out the RoH.

The War Memorial may have been saved by the Church people before the sale. Church of Scotland 121, George Street may know.

Aye

Malcolm

The Scotsman's archives back to 1817 are available on its website for a fee. Bear in mind when doing a search that 'Haymarket War Memorial' may well bring up the memorial to Hearts players & supporters rather than one to local men.

This has got me remembering the dim and distant past. There used to be church in Caledonian Crescent, up the road from Dalry Baths and another by Dalry School. If the soldier was an RC then the parish churches would be further away. What was the man's name?

Kevin

Talk about a small world, the casualty I am looking up was from Orwell Terrace, do you recall a family their called Anderson? I thin ktheir address was Upper Terrace or something like that.

Alistair

Sorry, I have no recollection of a family of that name. As far as I can remember, the Terrace was never divided into upper or lower, it was simply numbered.

Kevin

Guys

There use to be a Baptist Church on Dalry Road also. The building was a rather large and impossing one with a huge spire. The Baptists took it over in early 1916 I think. The Church eventually merged with a Baptist Church in Stenhouse. The Church building was knocked down and flats built in its place.

I'm currently trying to locate and research all of the Edinburgh Baptist Great War memorials. If you give me the name you're interested in I'll watch it for it when I discover the whereabouts of the old Gorgie Baptist memorial.

Regards

LIT

Hello,

I have bound Volumes of the Edinburgh evening news for-

2nd Half 1914, 2nd half 1915, all of 1917 and 1918. I am more than happy to have a search through them for you, if you give more datails on the casualty and date of death etc.

Regards,

Stewart

First of all I better admit my question relate to an off topic soldier, he was killed in WW2 rather than WW1, but with the knowledge on this forum I knew I would be more likely to get help here than elsewhere and the papers and memorials would overlap. Apologies for this.

The soldier in question was Sapper Lennox Tod Anderson 1886002 of 261 (Airborne) Field Park Coy RE, who was killed during the evacuation at Arnhem - he was a Presbyterian - and his fathers address (which I guess was also his) was 11 Orwell Terrace - top flat, so Kevin very close.

Alistair

Orwell Terrace is a tenement row, and 9 was next to 11. There were 16 flats, I think, per block. So quite close. To get back slightly onto a relevant topic, when I was growing up our neighbour who lived upstairs, a Mr David Johnstone, served in Palestine in 1917. I regret now never having found out more about him. We still have somewhere a book he won at St Bride's church in 1910 or 12 for religious knowledge.

Kevin