Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Citadel, Somme

DCLI

I was at the The Citadel ealier this week. 2 headstones are set apart does anyone know why?

I also saw a headstone to a chap who was only 17- Private 5331 P Battersby, The Queens.

The visitor books and reference folders from Flat Iron Copse and Danzig Alley are also missing - have they been stolen or removed for safe-keeping?

Regards

post-3297-1155197458.jpg

These casualties will be still in their original burial locations. Presumably it was deemed pointless to exhume them only to move them a few yards to a row. Maybe they were the first burials or only identified as graves after the cemetery was built.

The registers have probably been stolen - pointless act often discussed on the Forum.

These casualties will be still in their original burial locations. Presumably it was deemed pointless to exhume them only to move them a few yards to a row. Maybe they were the first burials or only identified as graves after the cemetery was built.

The registers have probably been stolen - pointless act often discussed on the Forum.

Thanks Terry. Paul Reed replied off forum that these are indeed original burials which were part of a French cemetery, but for some unknown reason the French moved out leaving these two Brits on their own.

I have to say, most cemeteries appear to have quirkiness like this and I feel it adds to the humanity of them.

regards