Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Turnbull Oliver, kia KOSB - HELP !

Derek Robertson

Hi Derek,

It appears to me that there are 2 JT Oliver in Scotland that are maybe in the same regiment and the JW Oliver born in Redcar is a different man but possibly in the same Regiment.

How to reach the conclusion I don't know, but don't give in, Mr L Bocking was found, sort of, so keep going !!!!!

Mel

Mel,

I'm keeping going but my brain burned out long ago.............. :wacko:

If only he had written his middle initial on his will we might have had a positive link.............. but if wishes were fishes..........

It appears to me that there are 2 JT Oliver in Scotland that are maybe in the same regiment and the JW Oliver born in Redcar is a different man but possibly in the same Regiment.

The other JT is John Thomson Oliver (born 1897), son of William and Elizabeth, Allars Bank, Hawick, so this clears up the confusion with the other newspaper article. If the Redcar JW Oliver served with the KOSB, then his middle name isn't listed on the MICs.

I'm convinced Derek has the correct John Turnbull Oliver - I just don't know how/when the middle name/Yorkshire confusion entered the official files.

Stuart

I just don't know how/when the middle name/Yorkshire confusion entered the official files.

You and me both :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm convinced Derek has the correct John Turnbull Oliver - I just don't know how/when the middle name/Yorkshire confusion entered the official files.

With the help of Sandra at the burials section in Hawick Town Hall, I have been able to locate the grave of John's parents in Hawick.

This confirms that a John Oliver from Hawick died at Gaza in 1917 with the KOSB. His mother's maiden name was Turnbull thus his entry on his birth certificate for John Turnbull Oliver.

So where does the SDGW entry regarding the Redcar born, enlisted and resided come from AND the William middle name?

post-172-1207247666.jpg

So where does the SDGW entry regarding the Redcar born, enlisted and resided come from AND the William middle name?

Hi Derek,

I emailed you a while back but did not hear from you, so maybe you have already done the following:

It would be worth posting a thread asking for the SDGW details for:

Private 15110, John William Oliver, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment), 16/12/1915

Private 21474, John W Oliver, Grenadier Guards, 09/02/1917

Private 23241, John W Oliver, Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment), 13/03/1917

Private 200116, John W Oliver, Yorkshire Regiment, 13/07/1917

Sapper 504339, John W Oliver, Royal Engineers, 27/10/1917

These are the other John W Oliver CWGC entries, but I don't have SDGW to check their details for any Redcar or Castleford connections. Of course, the mix-up may have been of an even more obscure nature.

Also, did you ever find out about the J.W. Oliver on a memorial near Redcar?

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart,

I've not made any progress on the Redcar connection.

However, as I have a Birth Certificate from Hawick and a headstone in Hawick for the same family, John Oliver from Hawick died at Gaza.

Who or what the John William Oliver from Redcar connection is I have no idea!

John Oliver from Hawick died at Gaza.

Absolutely agree. Just my natural curiosity....

[i've emailed you - like I said, messages passing each other in the ether].

Stuart

John's Will courtesy of Stuart:

post-172-1207252043.jpg