Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Turnbull Oliver, kia KOSB - HELP !

Derek Robertson

Stuart & Mel,

The transfer of battalions within the KOSB really does explain the "Hawick News" stating that John Turnbull fought at Loos, the Somme and then finally falling in Palestine.

A Territorial of 1914 in either the 1/4th or 1/5th KOSB would have seen service in "only" Gallipoli and Palestine.

Thanks Stuart for the explanation. It is much appreciated.

My last thoughts on this. Is there a possibility that the Oliver casualty was born John Oliphant or perhaps even Turnbull and his mother remarried to Mr William Oliver with John adopting the surname?

Regards

Mel

Do you need Auriel and his magpie on this thread? :lol:

Stuart & Mel,

The transfer of battalions within the KOSB really does explain the "Hawick News" stating that John Turnbull fought at Loos, the Somme and then finally falling in Palestine.

A Territorial of 1914 in either the 1/4th or 1/5th KOSB would have seen service in "only" Gallipoli and Palestine.

Aha one part of the mystery solved :P

Do you need Auriel and his magpie on this thread? :lol:

No, a magician and a time-machine would suffice :rolleyes:

Just as one door was beginning to open, another slamed shut in my face. :ph34r:

The good news

Ady (mmm45) has tracked down the name of J.W Oliver on a memorial near Redcar. I've still to dig deeper into this BUT I'm hoping that this ties in the KOSB soldier from Redcar who died 19/4/17 with details held by CWGC and the SDGW.

The BAD news

I've found another mention of a John Turnbull Oliver in a Hawick newspaper - his address and employment details don't fit with a later mention of J.T Oliver which I quoted above. :(

The plot thickens.

post-172-1156162894.jpg

HI Derek,

Sorry can't add anythoing, but have you managed to find anything else yet?

I have a man on my memorial similar to this, and it is so infuriating!!

HI Derek,

Sorry can't add anythoing, but have you managed to find anything else yet?

I have a man on my memorial similar to this, and it is so infuriating!!

Infuriating is too delicate a word for how I feel. :o

Ive found a church war memorial in Hawick with John Turnbull Oliver's name on it.

Add to this fact is that the name appears on the main Hawick War Memorial and his name (or the names of 2 JTO's) appear in Hawick newspapers of the time recording hid death strongly suggest that he did die in the war.

However - there are NO corresponding confirmations of this either with the CWGC or SDGW or SNWM.

I have his birth certificate but cannot find a corresponding death certifiicate. The saga continues.

post-172-1156924649.jpg

Lookig at the SDGW entry, giving place of birth as Redcar, I checked the 1901 census.

There is an entry for John William Oliver, aged 12, living at 25, Lumley Street, Whitwood. He is shown to have been born in Redcar and is the son of James William Oliver, a 48 year old greengrocer, and Mary Oliver, aged 44. His parents originate from Northants and Yorkhsire respectively.

I would hazard a guess at this being a good candidate for the SDGW entry.

Stephen,

I really appreciate your help in this.

I'm still awaiting some sort of verification from the Redcar area on John WILLIAM Oliver but I strongly suspect the chap you found is the soldier killed with the 1/4th Bn.KOSB on 19/4/17.

This means that my hypothesis that John T and John W were "one and the same" isn't correct.

John WILLIAM Oliver looks 99% to have originated in the Redcar area, served with the KOSB and died at Gaza.

However, my John TURNBULL Oliver is still out there somewhere.

He is listed on 2 Hawick war memorials, he is mentioned twice in Hawick newspapers of the time as having died in the Great War with the KOSB but I cannot find him, despite having a copy of his birth certificate.

Hello Derek

I am going to add to your pain :o

Below is the MIC for John W Oliver. It ties in with the original Hawick newspaper report of Loos and Somme but not the report of wounding insofar as the record states KIA.

It certainly does not tie in with the later report of John being a pre-war Territorial and having fought in the Dardanelles - the original service number does not fit and I can't think of a single unit that would have fought both in Loos and Gallipoli.

post-859-1156967478.jpg

I am still bemused how two separate soldiers could possibly have the same first and surnames, be of the same age, die on the same day and in the same theatre of war and serve in the same regiment.

I can accept some coincidences but isn't this stretching it a little too far?

More to the point, why on earth would a Yorkshireman's service Will end up in the Scottish archives?

I am convinced that they are one and the same man and I think that the Will may hold the key. I think that there was some family history here :ph34r:

I remain intrigued by your quest. :P

regards

Mel

More to the point, why on earth would a Yorkshireman's service Will end up in the Scottish archives?

Would the fact that although JW Oliver was a serviceman from Yorkshire he was serving in a Scottish Regiment(KOSB) and all records with that Regiment therefore would be deposited at the Scottish Archives explain why his will is there?

Ady

Mel & Ady,

I'm glad that you're both still following the thread here as it lost me a while back :blink:

The Will seems to be the only tangible link to prove the story one way or the other but the fact that I have to go to Edinburgh twice in a week to order then view it means that I may not be able to resolve my conundrum for a while yet. :(

Ady

I accept your good point about the records of a Scottish Regiment being lodged in Scotland but if the Will of John W was that of a Yorkshire man then if it was admitted to probate, it would surely have been in an English County or District Probate Registry? If there was no need to admit to probate then would not the Will have been returned to the Next of Kin in any event?

On a separate point, have you noticed that the second Regimental number (TF) on the MIC is marked with a cross? That would seem to suggest that the 1914-15 Star Trio was inscribed with that number rather than the original service Battalion number that John entered France with.

Could that suggest that the second number is John's pre-war TF number?

Just questions :P

regards

Mel

Would the fact that although JW Oliver was a serviceman from Yorkshire he was serving in a Scottish Regiment(KOSB) and all records with that Regiment therefore would be deposited at the Scottish Archives explain why his will is there?

Hi Ady - No, his will being held at the NAS means that JW Oliver was domiciled in Scotland.

Hi Mel - I noticed that this no. was marked on the medals. It is a bit strange because it definitely would not be a pre-war KOSB (TF) number. These numbers were being issued to the 5th KOSB in the latter half of 1916. This probably fits with him either being wouded/sick at the Somme, returning to the Depot in the Uk and then being transferred to another battalion (7/8th to 5th) late in 1916. Why his 1915 Star isn't marked 16048 I don't know!

Derek - I am also still following this thread. To state the obvious, this is a very confusing story. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to sort this out in my head and I started typing out my ideas but I didn't think they really shed any light on the problem, so I ditched them. I can only repeat what I said previously that JW Oliver's service nos./units fit with Loos/Somme/Palestine. Where JT fits in I haven't a clue.... as far as I can make out it is either a situation of name confusion or that JT served under an assumed name. We'll just have to wait for the will.

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart,

Where there's a Will there's a way! :P

Congrats on your website by the way.

• 4 months later...

Derek

Did you ever manage to find a solutiom to this mystery?

Regards

Mel

• 1 year later...

Hi Derek,

I have just re-read this entire thread and I am still confused. However, I can state definitively that the John Oliver killed at 2nd Gaza on 19th April 1917 was the Wilton Crescent, Hawick man. I have a copy of his will which states:

In the event of my death

I give the whole of my property

and effects to my Mother

------------

Mrs. Oliver

10 Wilton Crescent

Hawick

Scotland

------------

John Oliver 9298

Pte. 1/5 K.O.S.B.

14th February 1917

(New No. 201659)

You may already have this information by now, but thought I would pass it on just in case.

Cheers,

Stuart

Stuart,

Thanks for that info.

Do you have a scan of the actual will?

I ask as I'm a bit baffled why the battalion is listed as 1/5th KOSB when his number is 1/4th. Surely he would have known which battalion he served in.

Just to add another line,

In the London Gazette there ia a J Turnbull, private KOSB, who died and left £2.11.06, but he's listed in the 1915 - 16

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...gence%20section

Hope this is a help and not a hinder

Grant

1901 census

Name: John T Oliver

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897

Relationship: Son

Father's Name: William

Mother's Name: Elizabeth

Where born: Hawick, Roxburgh

Registration Number: 789/1

Registration district: Hawick

Civil Parish: Hawick

Town: Hawick

County: Roxburghshire

Address: 3 Allais Bank

ED: 12

Page: 4 (click to see others on page)

Household schedule number: 22

Line: 8

Roll: CSSCT1901_422

Household Members:

Name Age

Francis Dick 13

Helen Dick 16

Adaline Oliver 9

Elizabeth Oliver 42

Janette G Oliver 13

John T Oliver 4

Margaret Oliver 12

William Oliver 40

William Oliver 8

10 years earlier different family but Dad's name is the same so there could be 2 John T Olivers

Name: John T Oliver

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888

Relationship: Son

Father's Name: William

Mother's Name: Jane

Where born: Cavers, Roxburghshire

Registration Number: 794

Registration district: Kirkton

Civil Parish: Kirkton

County: Roxburghshire

Address: Kirkton Cottage

ED: 1

Page: 1 (click to see others on page)

Household schedule number: 2

Line: 12

Roll: CSSCT1891_386

Household Members:

Name Age

Helen Oliver 7

Jane Oliver 35

Jane Oliver 8 Months

Janet Oliver 5

John T Oliver 3

William Oliver 39

William Oliver 9

mel

John William Oliver

Name: John William Oliver

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889

Relation: Son

Father's Name: James William

Mother's Name: Mary

Where born: Coatham Redear, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Whitwood

Ecclesiastical parish: Whitwood All Saints

Town: Whitwood

County/Island: Yorkshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View Image

Registration district: Pontefract

Sub-registration district: Castleford

ED, institution, or vessel: 4

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 135

Household Members:

Name Age

Beatrice May Oliver 4

James William Oliver 48

John William Oliver 12

Mary Oliver 44

Mel

Do you have a scan of the actual will?

I ask as I'm a bit baffled why the battalion is listed as 1/5th KOSB when his number is 1/4th. Surely he would have known which battalion he served in.

Yes, I will email you the scan. The will is consistent with his BWM/Vic medal roll entry (8th, 7/8th, 1/5th). Also it should be noted that he isn't listed in the Roll of Honour in the 4th KOSB history. If you look at the 2nd Gaza casualties, there are a large number of deaths of 1/5th numbered men serving with the 1/4th and vice versa. Of course, bear in mind that the medal roll entry is under 'John Willie Oliver'! Unfortunately, he doesn't give an initial on his will signature.

Stuart

Thanks Grant, Mel and Stuart.

I think that it's time to lock myself away in a dark room with all this info and see if there is a solution.