Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th 5th and 6th Seaforth highlanders

o j kirby

my great uncle richard john walker was a 6th seaforth highlander from forres morayshire . he died june 2 1916 and buried in france. i do have derek bird book, its excellent. but im wondering if there are any pictures of him, since i only have 1. 

Hello,

Good to see this topic getting a revival. I don't have a photo of your relation, but I will take note of his name just in case one day a named group or otherwise photo ever turns up.

Good luck with your researches,

Owain.

Are you aware that his name appears in the Moray roll of honour? You can google moray roll of honour ww1 and find the digital nls site.

The entry is as follows, on page 460.

Walker, Richard John. No.2523 Sgt 6th Seaforths; born at Clovenside, Forres 11th August 1896; joined at Elgin Nov 1914, served in France; killed in action in France 2nd June 1916. Son of George Walker, Clovenside Forres and Mary Robb or Walker (deceased). Occupation Saw Trimmer.

I hope this may be of use.

• 3 weeks later...

I am researching 4th Battalion - 1914 - 1916 as I had two uncles serving during that time.  I am also researching two diaries of that period by 4th Battalion men.  There is an excellent blog by Richard Galley - Bedford Highlanders which covers the Highland Division's stay in Bedford during 1914/15. I woiuld be pleased to make contact.