Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th 5th and 6th Seaforth highlanders

o j kirby

Hello

I have an ever increasing interest in the Territorial battalions of the Seaforth Highlanders. Is there anyone out there with a similar interest? Can anyone tell me if there is a History of the 6th Seaforths? I am also looking for information on 2nd Lieutenant F B Smith. I have his Platoon roll book and I have been researching the various names in it. The book opens in September 1916, and there are few dates after 13th November when the battalion took part in the assault on Beaumont Hamel. Smith was with A Coy, No. 1 Platoon, and survived the war. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Owain.

Hello,

Have you seen the book 'Swords of the North''? It was printed in the 1920's, I think. It has chapters on each of the Seaforth battalions, but does not contain very much info, but does have a number of named photos. I will have a look through my copy and let you know if there is any info on your officer. I've also got a copy of the history of the 5th Seaforth, it a good read, but could do with having some photographic material in it.

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart,

Would your book have anything on the 7th Bn? I am particularly interested in the period May 1918 until say March 1919.

Ian

Owain

4th Bn

‘A History of the 4th Bn Seaforth Highlanders’ by Lt Col M M Haldane (1927)

5th Bn

‘War Diary of the 5th Bn Seaforth Highlanders’ by Capt D Sutherland (1920)

6th Bn

‘6th Bn Seaforth Highlanders, Campaign Reminiscences’ by Capt R T Peel and Capt A H Macdonald (1923)

It might also be worth getting hold of a copy of the Morayshire Roll of Honour since there are a few pages on the 6th Bn but it also has short biographies of 6000 Morayshire men and women. The 6th Bn was Morayshire's TF unit so a lot of those named served in 6th Seaforths.

The regiment collated information on all the battalions after the war with the idea of publishing a combined history but after reading other regiment’s histories it was felt another book full of dates and units was the last thing the public needed.

Some of it was published in instalments in the 1920s in the regimental magazine ‘Caber Feidh’ and then the information was filed away in the regimental museum. It was later used extensively by Col John Sym for his book ‘Seaforth Highlanders’ published after the 1961 amalgamation.

'The Sword in the North' mainly deals with the men of Caithness who fought in the war and because the 5th Bn was the local TF unit it takes up a lot of the book. If it does mention the 7th Bn it will probably only be about these Caithness men.

Regards

Adam

Owain

If it helps I have a copy of the Morayshire roll if you need some lookups

Hambo

Hello,

Have you seen the book 'Swords of the North''? It was printed in the 1920's, I think. It has chapters on each of the Seaforth battalions, but does not contain very much info, but does have a number of named photos. I will have a look through my copy and let you know if there is any info on your officer. I've also got a copy of the history of the 5th Seaforth, it a good read, but could do with having some photographic material in it.

Regards,

Stewart

Hi Stewart

Thanks for your reply. I have a copy of the 'Sword of the North'. It is an excellent source of information on the Seaforth and the Cameron Highlanders and the sheer number of photos make it an ideal reference for those of us interested in the peculiarities of Highland uniform.The 5th Seaforth book is an o.k. narrative, but as you say lacks in the photographic department.

Cheers

Owain.

Owain

4th Bn

‘A History of the 4th Bn Seaforth Highlanders’ by Lt Col M M Haldane (1927)

5th Bn

6th Bn

‘6th Bn Seaforth Highlanders, Campaign Reminiscences’ by Capt R T Peel and Capt A H Macdonald (1923)

It might also be worth getting hold of a copy of the Morayshire Roll of Honour since there are a few pages on the 6th Bn but it also has short biographies of 6000 Morayshire men and women. The 6th Bn was Morayshire's TF unit so a lot of those named served in 6th Seaforths.

The regiment collated information on all the battalions after the war with the idea of publishing a combined history but after reading other regiment’s histories it was felt another book full of dates and units was the last thing the public needed.

Some of it was published in instalments in the 1920s in the regimental magazine ‘Caber Feidh’ and then the information was filed away in the regimental museum. It was later used extensively by Col John Sym for his book ‘Seaforth Highlanders’ published after the 1961 amalgamation.

'The Sword in the North' mainly deals with the men of Caithness who fought in the war and because the 5th Bn was the local TF unit it takes up a lot of the book. If it does mention the 7th Bn it will probably only be about these Caithness men.

Regards

Adam

Hello Adam

Thanks for the information. The title that I have not seen is the one to the 6th Seaforth. I will now have to hunt for a copy somewhere.

Cheers

Owain.

Owain

Hambo

Hello Hambo

Thanks for the response. There are a few names in the platoon roll that if you don't mind looking up I would be very grateful. I will not list them all...however, are you able to look for the following?

Sgt. Charles S MacKenzie, k.i.a. 9th April 1917 from Elgin

Pte John Slater, k.i.a. 26th March 1918 from Lossiemouth

Pte Alexander Walker k.i.a. 23rd April 1917 from Elgin

Pte Alexander Gill k.i.a. 2nd October 1918 from Elgin.

Many thanks

Owain

• 6 months later...

Owain

A very belated response to your questions

Charles Stewart MacKenzie Sergeant 1011 1/6th Seaforths born 15.11.1882 at High Street Elgin Joined at Elgin in 1911 served in France severly wounded in arm and died 9.4.1917 at Arras. Son of Alexander and Annie MacKenzie of Collie Street Elgin occupation house painter

John Slater Private 265942 1/6th Seaforths born at Lossiemouth 17.9.1891 joined at Elgin 3.11.1914 served in france killed in action near Bapaume 26.3.1918. Son of William and Hellen Slater 9 Carvill Street Lossiemouth occupation fisherman

Alexander Walker Private 1/6th Seaforths born 8.8.1877 at 287 High Street Elgin. Joined at Elgin 4.4.1914 served in France killed in action at Roeux east of Arras Son of Helen Walker of Elgin occupation painter

Alexander Gill Private 266151 3/6th Seaforths born at Beildside Aberdeenshire 20.7.1898 lived in Morayshire since 1912 Joined at Elgin in May 1915 served in Francekilled near Ledenghen Flanders 3.10.1918 occupation gardeners apprentice

Hope this is what you were after

Hambo

5th Bn

Re this title I have it in PDF format happy to do looks ups.

John

• 4 years later...

Hi Owain I am new to the forum and saw your post as having a roll book frm A coy. I am taking a belt & braces approach if you don't see my post on your topic from 2006 then hopefully you will get my email!

Am after a favour if possible? In the roll book could you please look up George (Duncan) Morrison service number not known. William (Proctor) Duncan service number 3936.

Former my grandfather and latter his cousin. Any information on either or both would be massively appreciated.

I have photographed most of 152 Inf Bde diaries and would be happy to look him up for you. Kind regardsMarjorie

Since the early postings on this thread there is a new history published 2008:

The Spirit of the Troops is Excellent. 6th (Morayshire) Battalion Seaforth Highlanders in the Great War by Derek Bird published by Birdbrain Books

Such a strange coincidence I found the self same book last night while browsing for research material and have ordered a copy via the following link:

http://www.naval-mil...-1914-1919.html

Book details: Published 2008, sb, A4, 255 pages, 170 photographs, 8 maps.

Reasonably priced at £14.95 plus postage - it was also available on www.abebooks.co.uk however I think they put the decimal point in the wrong place as it was priced at £1495.00!

He has apparently used official and unofficial sources and I am hoping it will throw up some helpful information that is not available in official archives. Am I right in this - assuming as you mentioned it, that you have a copy?

Marjorie

Owain

Hambo

Hi Owain and Hambo

Sorry my computer crashed as I was attempting my last reply and when I got back on found it had sent a repeated post I was responding to!

Anyway Owain regarding your original post, are you sure of the 2nd Lt's name. I have located a 2nd Lt Robert J. Smith posted in around 21st - 26th September 1916 but he was killed at Beaumont Hamel. he previously served with the 4th Gordons and was seriously injured in 1915. He was then re-enlisted into the 6th Seaforths. Info from 'The Spirit of the Troops is Excellent' Derek Bird.

Owain if you have his roll book could you do me a couple of look-ups? These two may have been in Lt. Smith's platoon or possibly one of them was.

Hambo - how did you get a copy of the Morayshire Roll as PDF??

If you get a bit of time I would really appreciate a couple of look-ups please?

Pte. William Proctor Duncan 6th Seaforths originally of Tugnet, Spey Bay - killed at Beaumont Hamel - I am trying to find out where and when he joined up.

Pte. George (Duncan) Morrison 6th Seaforths originally of Nether Dallachy, Spey Bay- wounded and captured as POW but don't know where or when - also the date he joined would also be useful.

Many thanks to you both in advance. I am still in the process of printing off the diary for the 152nd Inf Bde and will let you know if I can find anything on your 2nd Lt. Smith - it is a common enough name and there may well have been another. I checked the named photo of officers for the 6th when they left Bedford and he isn't there.

Thanks again - Marjorie

I have some pictures from the Belfast Evening Telegraph of Seaforth Highlanders - drop me a PM with your email address if interested in receiving the list of names.

Nigel

• 1 year later...

.”

Sergeant James Mitchell, DCM 4th Seaforth Highlanders:

I am looking for information on this soldier , especially where and when he won his DCM . Any assistance would be appreciated

Sergeant Mitchell’s DCM was announced in the 30 October

1918 London Gazette: “For conspicuous gallantry and

devotion to duty. At a critical moment in an attack, when

two platoons were held up by machine-gun fire, he led

forward his Lewis gun section and by silencing the

machine guns enabled the advance to continue. Again, by

skillful deployment of his platoon he destroyed parties of

the enemy as they left a wood, and under very heavy fire he

pushed resolutely forward. Throughout, his great gallantry

and capable leadership inspired all ranks with confidence

Canuk

Had a look in Haldane's History of the 4th Seaforth Highlanders.

Afraid your man is not in the index of the text - but is listed to have received his DCM on 30 Oct 1918 with service number 200114.

Stuart

Thank you Stuart for your asistance . 1/4th were in numerous actions summer and autumn 1918 so may be able to find something their war diary . Many thanks Arthur

• 6 months later...

Researching an old boy of my son's school, L Col Claude Henry Campbell who I think commended the 1/4th Seaforth's for while and was killed on or around 16 March 1916 - does any one have any details of how, where etc. and when he took command? Thanks

• 7 months later...

I'm researching my Family Tree and found my Great Granddad Angus Ross and his brothers Archiebald and Charles were in the Seaforth Highlanders in France 1915.

I have found that Charles was deployed to France on 4/8/1915 service number S-7984.

Can anyone tell me which battalion he may have been in?

And what the 'S' means in the service number?

P.W. The prefix S/ relates to him being a wartime service enlistment, not a pre war regular.

btw the Morayshire, Nairnshire, Ross-shire, Lewis and MacDuff RoH are available as free downloads from the internet archive, courtesy of The National Library of Scotland. These may be handy for Seaforth men.

http://archive.org/details/morayshirerollof1921mora

http://archive.org/details/rollofhonourofna1915rama

http://archive.org/details/rossshirerollofh1915sout

http://archive.org/details/rollofhonour19141919dick

http://archive.org/details/loyallewisrollof1920lewi

Derek Black

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out