Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map reprints

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

Where can I buy good copies of WW1 maps ? A while back I was at the IWM in London and also a couple of museums in the Somme area and they all sold copies of WW1 maps.. I've checked the IWM web site, but they are not listed in the shop section.

What I am after is the 51B Arras section for any period up until April 1917, prefer in the scale 1/20,000. I have a copy of an RGA war diary that a relative served with and I want to plot his movements and aslo the targets he was shooting at. It waill also be handy for when i go to this area later this year.

Any ideas?

Naval and Militray Press do some great CR-ROMs of British and German trench maps so try THIS for size - not cheap though!

A lower cost and just as good option would be to get a copy of Pere Chassuead's 'Topography Of Armageddon' which covers just about the whole of the front to 1:10,000 detail. It's out of print but you can usually find a copy HERE.

Hello,

Thanks for all your help. Are the N&MP maps printable? One othere question I have is, when a map ref is given for a 1/40,000 map, would the same reference give the same location on a 1/20,000 etc ?

Regards ,

Stewart