Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battlefields of the First World War

FAAAEd

I have just found this large book in a local Ottakar's (soon to be Waterstones - shame). Written and edited by Peter Barton, with a Forward by Richard Holmes, in association with The Imperial War Museum.

Priced at £50 it is not cheap but it is very well produced, at 31cm x 25cm x 4cm it is almost similar in size to The Imperial War Museums 'The Somme Experience' by Julian Thompson but is in my opinion better value for money despite the price tag.

Although there are many interesting panoramas (some four page widths long on fold-outs), from all sectors of the Western Front and spread chronologicaly, never seen in print before the book is very much more than this. Diagrams of dug-outs, observation constructions and other equipment, and map-sections abound. Also there is a most informative geological strata section of the whole length of the British section of the front from the Belgian coast to Clery south of Guillemont.

Certainly one to look out for but if tempted to browse through it be prepared for an irresistable urge to shell out the asking price. A rare book.

Pigeon

Not wishing to dishearten you but we had a thread about this book last year. It went onto many members wish lists for Christmas.

Garth

Great book. The next instalment, 'The Somme', due out on October 23rd. Just in time for more Chrsitmas lists!

Pigeon

Not wishing to dishearten you but we had a thread about this book last year. It went onto many members wish lists for Christmas.

Garth

OK. I did do a search on some keywords before posting and found zilch so thought that it had not been discussed.

I'll shudup and slink away now. ;)

Amazon have it a bit cheaper than the RRP (£33 IIRC)

Roxy

And if you enter Amazon via The Long, Long Trail Chris gets some money!

Pigeon

Garth

I expect there are a lot of members around today who were not on the site last year, I am one of them, and found the info about the book useful.

i got mine via a book club for 35 I think. Worth every penny. Fantastic book.

Chris C

I am just back from visiting Hill 60, just beside the bridge is a panoramic photo taken 9/4/1915, could you please tell me if it is included in the book as I am thinking of buying it (the book that is!)

TIA

I am just back from visiting Hill 60, just beside the bridge is a panoramic photo taken 9/4/1915, could you please tell me if it is included in the book as I am thinking of buying it (the book that is!)

TIA

Phil, the book has nothing for 9/4/15. It does have the following views:

'From Observatory Ridge to Hill 60, May 1915'.

'Armagh Wood to Hill 60, 14 August 1915'.

'Hill 60 from The Dump, 10 April 1915'.

'Hill 60 from The Dump, 10 April 1915' (on the CD-Rom only).

'From N.E. of Hill 60, July 1915'.

'From Hill 60, July 1915' (on the CD-Rom only).

Maybe one of the 10 April views might be of interest to you, being the day after the view you refer to.

Ciao,

GAC

mmm interesting that

the one i'm looking has come from IWM, looks as if the series of photos were taken from the dump at the right hand side of the cutting, facing the bridge and hill 60 to the left with The caterpillar slightly to the right,is that your 10/4/15 view i wonder?

Just bought this via Amazon fo £33.

Using Amazon exclusively has some downsides,

one is that it may lead to the loss of local bookshops, where then will one be able to browse so as to be able to accurately judge a books worth,

another is when Amazon decide not to handle a book because of what can only be construed as political pressure.

Yes, Amazon appear to have played the censorship game along with Google, Yahoo and Microsoft.

PP,

I don't think that anyone is suggesting exclusive use of Amazon, simply that, in this case, they appear to offer a bargain. Use of Amazon can also help contribute to the upkeep of the forum and LLT.

Roxy

PP,

I don't think that anyone is suggesting exclusive use of Amazon,

Maybe not, but the implication is there.

simply that, in this case, they appear to offer a bargain.

Bargains sometimes have an unnaceptable other price, one that I for one would rather not pay.

Use of Amazon can also help contribute to the upkeep of the forum and LLT.

Roxy

When a company engages in a form of censorship by refusal to handle titles that challenge those in authority then that is unfortunate.

• 4 weeks later...

TIA

If the noticeboard panorama now at Hill 60 is not the same as one in the book, it is almost identical. I think the panorama that they have used at Hill 60 is in the In Flanders Fields Documentation Centre in Ieper although that document might be a recent paste up of individual photos rather than the original panorama. It might be worth asking them to verify the date. The photos may have been taken on one day and the actual panorama produced and dated on the next. Just a possibility!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew H , can you tell me if the next instalment ' the somme ' is still on target for the 23rd of October and will we be able to purchase for around the same price as the 1st edition ( £33 ) . thanks ? Steve . ;)

Steve, I've no idea of the price but the last time I was in touch with Peter Barton a couple of months ago that was the date he told me.

The release date is 23 October and the RRP is £25.00. Amazon will do it for the amazingly cheap £16.50.

Based on previous posts on this thread I would like to point out that other internet book sites are available. The choice is yours....

ta da

• 1 month later...

Has anybody got a copy of Peter Barton's Somme Panoramic book yet - is it in the shops ?

looking at the Constable & Robinson publishers page the proposed panoramic book on Arras seems to have been removed - have plans for the publication of this book been shelved ?

It should be in the shops now. Amazon say it is available as of tomorrow.

Arras book is planned to come out after the Passchendaele one (2007).

I guess it will be 2008 some time.