Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

seen on ebay

steve white

Duck quickly there are 2 schols of thought

1 the medal collectors who think why not for a variet of reasons, some good some greed

2 the non medal collectors who think its awful

the2 groups cannot agree but we do have a ceasfire on this subject. Gareth

Am I missing something?

Mick

the2 groups cannot agree but we do have a ceasfire on this subject. Gareth

Ceasefire is indeed the word.

Roland. ;)

These "items" have been bought & sold virtually since their inception,from Field Marshalls to Coolies,wether because the Families die out & no one left wants or bothers with them,or to pay collossal death duties{now that is a crime!},eBay is a market place,no different from the local Antique Centre,Flea Market or Collectors Shop{or Car Boot sale for that matter},save that the sellers in general,cut out the middle man & sell their own wares,to the highest bidder,just as they would @ Spinks or Christies,DNW,etc;,{but without them clobbering both seller & buyer with a hefty 15~20% "Commission" for the privilege}With a world wide Market @ least these are given a massive audience & due to "things like this being offered on eBay" Many Collectors have been able to Successfully re~unite Plaques with Pairs & Trios,that otherwise they would never hear of,& would a few years ago have been sold through the local general auction house or to a "Knocker" for a pittance before possibly going through a half dozen hands before finding a Collector,who will research the Recipient & cherish it for the rest of his Days... ;)

Far better that they are sold to someone who cares than buried under tons of old baked bean tins,rotting Cabbage & used nappies on the local tip,after being "binned"

Ironically dcwuk; you have chosen a Plaque that I have the highest bid on @ present!!~wish me luck!!!! B)

some greed

I'm sorry but I cannot for the life of me see where Greed enters the equation,how can selling an item by public Auction constitute greed?

@ the end of any very long day an Auction lot will only achieve the price that any two people will be prepared to pay for it,without @ least one other person who is prepared to keep bidding,nothing will sell,if it is too dear no one will bid & the lot remains unsold,{as often happens on eBay & in public General & Specialized Auctions all the time,if some listees are a tad too optimistic,with reserves & starting price}

No one is forced to bid :ph34r:

Well said Harry.

I will observe the cease fire, but I have my fire sectors and arcs marked and weapons zeroed in, in case of surprise attack.

Well said Harry.

I will observe the cease fire, but I have my fire sectors and arcs marked and weapons zeroed in, in case of surprise attack.

"Puts down brandy , picks up pistol "

Only kidding chaps, <_<

Roland. :D

What put this debate into context was a trip to the RAF Museum at Hawkinge last summer, my eyes fell upon a nice 1914 star trio with Long Service and Good Conduct.

Underneath was a ticket. These medals were found in the dustbin of --- The recipients son threw them out as he felt they were a glorification of war !

The medals were rescued by one of the dustmen who new better.

Ohhhh. My troll sensor is beeping.....

First post, and starts on this one. Gotta be.

First post, and starts on this one. Gotta be.

Maybe he is the seller - cheap bit of advertising :D

Only joking :P

no i am not the seller, i recently became interested in finding out the military history of my great grandfather having found his name on the war memorial in godmanchester.

Yes a first time poster to this forum but a user of many others.

The question in my original post was genuine and now i know the answers thankyou gentlemen.

regards

dcw

dcw,

If your not sure about this item, then you should see the plaques that have been turned into clocks!

Each to their own, as they say.

Roxy

Still its a good Regiment he was in - 1st Cambs ex Hunts Cyclist

One of the last plaques I bought has deep gouges as it turned up in an old dump that was being cleared.

'Nuff said.

Kath.

I acquired one, many years ago, which had the name erased - you could see where it had been attacked with a sharp instrument.

By the way, dcwuk - apologies if any offence caused.

dcw,

If your not sure about this item, then you should see the plaques that have been turned into clocks!

Each to their own, as they say.

Roxy

:o

You are kidding !!?! Now that's truly awful, but thankfully I have never come across one - I think I would feel obligated to buy it and return it to 'normal' immediately, although I don't collect such things!

Jim

no offence taken at all. interesting points of view from members.

my own opinion is that it is an insult to the recipents memory to see such thing sold in auctions and that they should either be handed to relatives if they can be traced or given back to thr regimental museums.

but hey thats just my two penneth worth.

dcw

...that they should either be handed to relatives if they can be traced or given back to the regimental museums.

All well & good but in most cases it is the "relatives" who have flogged them off in the first place~they have even been subject one than once on Flog It,Cash In The Attic,Etc;to raise some money for a three piece suite,or a trip to the Balearics... :angry:

Regimental Museums {& remember NOT all Regiments have museums} normally are only interested in Medal groups that they can display,ie; Medals to their Colonels & Officers & those with a story,that will grab the attention of the visitor,hundreds of Pairs & Plaques would not a "Good Display" make & thus such items would normally end up in "Reserve Collections";often a series of Shoe boxes or drawer where they will remain for eternity,never seen by anyone,In my honest opinion they are far better in the custodianship of an avid Collector & amateur {in the nicest possible sense} researcher,who will cherish the Medals & fully research & remember the Recipient every day he or she casts a glazing eye over their Collections.

I know we Collectors will never convince those of the other persausion,but to a man we devote much of our lives & hard earned cash & are playing our small part in preserving the heritage of this Country & it's Empire.

Where they are sold is in all reality irrelevant;it is where they end up that matters.

medallicly unrepentant as ever.

Roger. :unsure:

no offence taken at all. interesting points of view from members.

my own opinion is that it is an insult to the recipents memory to see such thing sold in auctions and that they should either be handed to relatives if they can be traced or given back to thr regimental museums.

but hey thats just my two penneth worth.

dcw

How would you propose dealing with all the "John Smith" plaques?

I can confirm that the great percentage of medals and plaques in a museum never see the light of day - and they almost certainly dont get researched unless there is an obvious story behind them. I certainly won't be leaving my grandfathers medals to a museum, rather see them in the hands of someone who will appreciate them and the person behind them.

Does the ASC have a regimental museum?

Kath.

The Royal Corps Of Transport /Royal Logistics Corps Museum I think it is today?

Deepcut Camberley Surrey

There is/was a Museum of Army Transport @ Beverley Yorks,but it is currently Closed.