Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire WW1

Raster Scanning

John / Richard (et al)

A question out of ignorance, after the various Battalions of the Highland Brigade left Bedford in early 1915 - what happened in Bedford? Did there continue to be a sizeable military establishment there or did it go back to being the "sleepy market town on the Ouse"? Did anyone replace them in using Bedford as a base - did the Socts units retain any official presence there?

• 1 month later...

I will be in the public records office/Library in Bedford (and the newspaper archives) during the next week looking for information on the Highland Brigade's time here - I would be happy to note details if anyone is looking for anything in particular

Richard, might see you tomorrow in Irchester (?) will give you a ring anyway before Friday

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry if you made it to Irchester and I missed you ... what rotten weather.

Look forward to hearing from you re: Friday ... Wednesday early evening would be a good time

All the best

Richard

Dear Richard.

I will not be able to make it to the UK as partially arranged, more is the shame.

I have picked up some extremely interesting additions to my collection and will be posting shortly.

Cheers

Had a wonderful day with Richard in Bedford today, wandering around many of the sites posted here. We even managed to discover a few more and some pictures which I will try and add once I have cleaned them up.

I would like to publicly thank Richard for his other great kindness today - late this afternoon at Foster Hill Cemetery, with my father and I present, Richard played "Flowers o' the Forest" at my great grandfather's (Cpl James McDonald 1529 1/4th Gordon Highlanders) grave. It was extremely moving in and meant a great deal to dad and I. Thanks Richard!

Dear Richard.

I will not be able to make it to the UK as partially arranged, more is the shame.

I have picked up some extremely interesting additions to my collection and will be posting shortly.

Cheers

It's a real shame you couldn't make it. Next time eh? Looking forward to seeing the additions to your collection tho'.

All the best

Richard

Had a wonderful day with Richard in Bedford today, wandering around many of the sites posted here. We even managed to discover a few more and some pictures which I will try and add once I have cleaned them up.

I would like to publicly thank Richard for his other great kindness today - late this afternoon at Foster Hill Cemetery, with my father and I present, Richard played "Flowers o' the Forest" at my great grandfather's (Cpl James McDonald 1529 1/4th Gordon Highlanders) grave. It was extremely moving in and meant a great deal to dad and I. Thanks Richard!

A great day indeed, thanks Chris.

Piping the lament was an honour and privilege ... no thanks required, but greatly appreciated nonetheless.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the US after a visit to a sweltering Hungary (Military Museum in Budapest has a small WW1 exhibit - good photos and collection of Trench Art but WWII displays are far more impressive)

First of a couple of before / after pictures I hope I can put up - obtained on the expedition with Richard.

No 3 Rothsay Rd aka "Hotel D'empty" a fairly well known picture (series of pictures as there are several versions) - and the house as it is today. Caption in the Beds Times identified the unit as 6th A & S Highlanders.

• 4 weeks later...

There were some earlier references to Kempston Barracks,

Just picked this up...

Posted if I can read the postmark correctly on 15th August 1914.

here is (I think) another version of the Seaforths in Bedford. (edit: Piper has identified the location as Bedford School playing fields looking accross to DeParys Av.

This one has an inked date on the back of Oct 1914,

Photographer is AW Pierce (Nottingham) Negative number appears to be 1152

Hi Chris,

Another great photograph!

A slight correction, if I may. The photo of the Seaforths (?) on Bedford School playing fields is taken looking towards Pemberley Avenue. The photographer has his back to De Parys Avenue, with Park Avenue on his left and the main school building on his right. The School Chapel can just be discerned through the haze in the right hand background.

It's highly likely that the photo was taken from the cricket pavilion's viewing platform. The cricket pavilion appears in a couple of other photos that have appeared in this thread, most notably the one of the Highlanders "marching" in a diverse array of clothing.

Regards

Richard

Thanks Richard,

Got your email - intrigued by the proposed criteria! :P

Here are a couple of others I picked up - not strictly military but both dating from 1914 and at least the first one looking like it might have been produced for the large numbers of highlanders encamped around the various parks and playing fields of Bedford to send home!

I am still cleaning up some of the pics we took and will add them as I can.

Chris

• 6 months later...

As a direct result of this thread, I received an email from a representative of a little known archive in Bedford, they appear to have some very interesting documents relating to the Scottish Divisions's time there.

As I am in Bedford next week I have made arrangements to view said documents ;)

I look forward to hearing what you find. This thread has brought an important period to life for me.

Mike Morrison

John,

Your recent postings are wonderful as ever. I'm still trying to pin down the location of the 6th Gordons and their marquee ... it looks tantalisingly familiar. I'll have another wander at the weekend, if I get a chance. I have a couple of things to contribute to the thread, but haven't had an opportunity to do the scanning yet! Will endeavour to do so soon.

Your news of a little known local archive is intriguing and very exciting (not the Bedford Scots' Society is it?). Here's hoping that it yields a bumper crop of "new" info. Can't wait to hear more about it.

All the best

Richard

Posting this from Heathrow on the way back to Kazakhstan. Will post a full report soon on my visit.

John,

Hope you had a good visit and safe trip back to Kazakhstan. Look forward to hearing about the archive ... I did try to PM you to see if we could meet up whilst you were over. Maybe next time you're in these parts?

All the best

Richard

Richard, Mike, John..

I too am on tenterhooks! And there remains lots of interest in the thread here at least!

(Mike sorry for the delay on the RA man papers - there are lots of pages and I keep forgetting - they will be sent tomorrow I hope. John did you manage to post to the map?)

Just to keep it going - sent from Bedford (postmarked) at the time the HD were there:

Richard.

I got your message but too late I am afraid.

I will be visiting Bedford again, so next time I will contact you in advance.

Now, I think you will be sorry to hear my news as when I looked at the archive very little involved the highlanders.

The archive relates to Bedford Physical Training College, that for many years was located in Lansdowne Rd. They have just relocated to the Polhill Campus and are in the process of evaluating many boxes of photo's and other documents dating from when it started in about 1903. Most of the pictures etc relate to the Bedford War Hospital and Kempston Barracks Hospital. Lots of pictures of wards, soldiers, nurses etc with some named Bedfordshire Rgt men. A fantastic archive with great research potential but not much on the highlanders :( .

There was mention of the 5th Gordons being billeted with the college but not much else. I have taken copies of some pictures and names and intend to help them with research.

As I am interested in all aspects of Bedford and WW1, this is a fantastic new resource, but not too much use to you others interested in the Highland Division.

Chris, Mike, glad you are still interested and I will keep posting.

Thanks Centurian.

So the tank is Egbert, I am off to research this particular tank now.

John,

Thanks for the udpate and sorry to have missed you whilst you were over here.

Whilst it's a shame that the archive didn't yield much on the Highlanders, I agree that any info on Bedford's past, particularly WW1 and WW2, is to be greatly welcomed. I do recall seeing photos of Gordons in Landsdowne road outside their billets.

I will try to make time to add some photos to the thread this weekend.

All the best

Richard

Another great picture John.

I think this is one for Richard to check! (I also forwarded it my dad)

It looks a bit "open" to me, to be Castle road but I am working from memory.

Chris

High Wood.

This is excellent information.

Any chance of posting the picture here?

There is a Grafton Rd in Bedford, perhaps this is the loction. I will do some checking.

Thanks