Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire WW1

Raster Scanning

On 27/12/2013 at 17:41, rgalley said:

These men of the Scottish Horse are posing for the camera on Cardington Green. The bell tower and castellations of St Mary's church can just be discerned in the background. The scene is much the same today and the cottages are still there. To the soldiers' left (out of shot) is the Kings Arms (... now a gastropub) which stands at the T-junction with Bedford Road, Cople Road and Southill Road. The villages of Cople and Southill also provided billets for the Scottish Horse and one of the Division's rifle ranges was established at Cople.

The men of the 1/6th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were photographed during an inspection at the north end of Russell Park. The houses in the background are on Russell Avenue which marks the northern boundary of Russell Park. These houses have a view across the Park to The Embankment and the river running alongside it.

There is an area just outside of Cople village called The Butts where .303 rounds & cartridges have been found over recentish years; I used to do a lot of shooting & beating in the area back in the 80’s.

A couple of postcards I’ve got of the 51st in the Bedford area.

the Scottish Horse photo was taken from beside the boundary wall of All Saints Church on Grange Lane, Cople looking towards where Willington Road (left) meets Northill Road (right).

The building to the left is the Five Bells Pub whilst the ‘Butts’ are off to the right, along Northill Rd, about 1/4 mile; the Butts was where target practice took place.

5AF26CBE-8FDB-4F17-8CA1-9515141BDF12_zps

7C0958A3-5CF0-43DB-B40B-E8D9ABC05EDD_zps

Edited by Lee Bradbury

Excellent - the bottom one is well known (and I think shows up earlier in the thread) but I have not seen the top one before. Very nice. Thanks for posting them.

Chris

3 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Excellent - the bottom one is well known (and I think shows up earlier in the thread) but I have not seen the top one before. Very nice. Thanks for posting them.

Chris

I thought I’d seen the High Street one here but glad you’ve seen something new.

• 3 months later...

It has been suggested that this photo might be appropriately posted here. My grandfather, (Hubert) Howard Sadler is standing second from the left. The details in the caption are all from the back of the photo.

REs at rest Bedford 18 5 1915.jpg

Edited by Phil Sutters
Added info.