Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire WW1

Raster Scanning

Territorial of unknown unit. Portrait by C.A.Solomons, Bedford.

Message on reverse, 'Xmas 1917'. Message on front, 'Best Wishes from Jim'.

scans_0005_zps92e2b7b8.jpg

Great pictures.

I think Gordon Cotton is in actual fact, 2183 Gordon K Cotton of the 1/1 Worcestershire Yeomanry, the badge fits as as well as the spurs and other equipment. He came from Wellington Heath, Herefordshire only around 10 miles from Worcester. He survived the war. They were stationed at Kings Lynne prior to leaving for Gallipoli from Avonmouth. Speculation, but as Bedford is directly on the route between KL and Avonmouth, perhaps they broke the journey there, giving him time for a picture.

Cheers

Message on the back of photo reads, 'Yours Sincerely Gordon Cotton'. I think he is Army Service Corps. Can anyone enlighten me on his belt arrangement?

Portrait by Alice Neame, Bedford. Undated.

I'd like to find out more about Alice Neame. She must have been something of a pioneer as a female commercial photographer in this period of history?

scans_0003_zps41b91edb.jpg

Alice Neame came from Kent, daughter of a Farmer from Birchington. In 1911 she was visiting friends outside Bedfordshire, but is listed as a Photographer. Not sure when she came to Bedford but she married (under name Eliza Alice Neame) a photographer Reginald Douglas Percy (born in Scotland) from Stanley Street Bedford on 12 April 1918 at St Martins. He was a serving member of the RGA (78186) and died of wounds 5 months later. Lots of info as his papers have survived.

A member of the Australian Imperial Force. <snip> dated June 1918. I understand that the 3rd Division AIF was in and around Bedfordshire at this time.

Nice photo and presumably a member of the AIF Second Division, from the diamond-shaped colour patch. All Australian divisions were on the Somme at this time and the 3rd Division were preparing for the Battle of Hamel.

No photographer and undated, but I'm wondering if this could be Haynes Park later in the war? The sergeant wears a Scout's badge and overseas stripes. I can't make out the shoulder titles and the cap badges are not clearly defined. Any ideas?

No photographer and undated, but I'm wondering if this could be Haynes Park later in the war? The sergeant wears a Scout's badge and overseas stripes. I can't make out the shoulder titles and the cap badges are not clearly defined. Any ideas?

scans_0018_zps0cee624b.jpg

I think more likely Bedfordshire Command Depot, Ampthill Park, given they are 100% Bedfordshires, many seasoned BR men were sent there after recovering from wounds etc and also it was used to train and prepare recruits too young for active service. I see the scout (first class) also wears the 14 star ribbon.

I think more likely Bedfordshire Command Depot, Ampthill Park, given they are 100% Bedfordshires, many seasoned BR men were sent there after recovering from wounds etc and also it was used to train and prepare recruits too young for active service. I see the scout (first class) also wears the 14 star ribbon.

Thanks for the added info John. Feeling suitably chastened that I didn't recognise the Bedfordshires cap badge at least and Ampthill Park ... forgotten about that one! I did wonder about the 14 star ribbon, but was a bit tentative about suggesting it. That'd square with the bottom, darker (red) overseas stripe. The lad sitting next to the sergeant certainly looks to be too young for active service!

Nice photo.

No photographer and undated, but I'm wondering if this could be Haynes Park later in the war? The sergeant wears a Scout's badge and overseas stripes. I can't make out the shoulder titles and t

Enjoying your photos as usual guys and am intrigued as to how that child was in uniform and hope he didn't see active service at the front. He looks about 13 or 14! He must have bumped up some unscrupulous recruiter's bonus. I had thought that later in the war they made proper id checks as they brought in the registration processes and conscription...just a thought.

Alice name came from Kent, daughter of a Farmer from Birchington. In 1911 she was visiting friends outside Bedfordshire, but is listed as a Photographer. Not sure when she came to Bedford but she married (under name Eliza Alice Neame) a photographer Reginald Douglas Percy (born in Scotland) from Stanley Street Bedford on 12 April 1918 at St Martins. He was a serving member of the RGA (78186) and died of wounds 5 months later. Lots of info as his papers have survived.

John,

Thanks for this information. Not fair to ask you these additional questions, but here goes ... Do you happen to know where Alice Neame had her studio in Bedford? Did she have her own set-up or did she share facilities with another studio, I wonder? How long was she operating her own business for?

Cheers

Richard

I believe 21 St Peter's Street this is the shop that is now John Bull's, the original JB being in the High Street as still denoted by the golden bull…..

Thanks John ... now John Bull & Co the jewellers.

Richard

Photo captioned, 'An amusing billeting incident at Bedford'.

Not quite sure about the 'amusing' bit. However a couple of Seaforth Highlanders who are fortunate enough to be accommodated in a furnished billet. The chap bent over the basin is a piper and his pipes lie on the couch that the other man is sitting on.

Is murder about to be done with the cut throat? Some may say that spending any time in the same room as a piper with his pipes would be enough to drive the sanest of men to foulest of deeds!

seaforthshavea_zps54eb8674.jpg

Meanwhile a couple more Seaforth engaged in 'interior economy' at their Bedford billet, c.summer 1914. Caption to this photo is, 'Handy Highlanders at work in their new quarters'.

seaforthbedfordbilletcleaninga_zps413041

Enjoying your photos as usual guys and am intrigued as to how that child was in uniform and hope he didn't see active service at the front. He looks about 13 or 14! He must have bumped up some unscrupulous recruiter's bonus. I had thought that later in the war they made proper id checks as they brought in the registration processes and conscription...just a thought.

Hi Seaforths, yes my thoughts exactly, so young but as this is late 1918 hopefully he never left Bedfordshire..

That's a great picture John!

Chris

John,

Great photos of the Omnia works. Do I spy a skeletal BE2 among the many Avro 504s?

The photo of Tavistock St. is terrific. This was well within the Seaforth and Cameron Brigade's billeting district. Still a recognisable streetscape today.

You're right ... 'War Illustrated' was the source of the photos of the Seaforth men in their Bedford billets. I visited my dad the other day and he handed me 5 hefty, bound ('deluxe', no less!) collections in album form. They'd belonged to my great grandfather and I remember poring over them when I was a boy whenever we visited my grandpa. Lots of interesting material in amongst lots of anti-German propaganda ... all superbly illustrated as you'd expect from the magazine's title!

• 2 months later...

Great pic!

So what is in the cloth bags? daily rations or something else?

Interesting that there appears to be an O/R with a binoculars case - looks like he may be a signaler (if that is a flag he is holding?)

Also of note: couple of men have plain (undiced) glengarries

They are armed with CLLEs

This is one for CarolynM.

I have seen a poor copy of this before but this one is great.

Chris

Exactly the questions I had Chris, regarding the bags and the O/R with binoculars

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I am researching Haynes Park camp and having found the story of Nelly Rault who was murded back in 1919 she was work at the camp whrn she killed. She is buried in Saint Mary's Chuch which is next to Haynes Park. is you look at an image (such as Google Earth or Google Maps) you can see the outline on the grass in the park where the ols wooden huts were standing, the image is quite good and in a strage way also very earie.

thanks Paul

• 2 months later...
Guest DianaJackson

Hi Paul I am sure that you have found information at the Great War Channel Island Study Group http://www.greatwarci.net/women/jersey/nr/nr1.htm website about Nellie Rault and the Bedford archives have amazingly detailed newspaper accounts of the trial (as does Jersey) Her story caught my eye because of my connections to the Channel Islands but I live in Clophill and cycled to the churchyard, walking around the back of Haynes Park near to the woods where she is murdered. You might be interested in a novel I've just released inspired by her story - although I have changed her name, 'Murder, now and then' has flashbacks to the original unsolved murder quoted from the newspaper cuttings.

• 4 months later...
Guest Katrinabean

I am working on my ancestry and found that William Pulham died in March 1917 - I believe that it was at Kempston Barracks Hospital but I cant seem to find any info about this hospital. I am intrigued! Especially after watching several tv program dramas that covered shell shock - that he died from...... Can anyone give me any links? Pleas?

Theresa

• 6 months later...
Guest BiddBoy

Hi, we are a local history group beginning a search for information about Welsh regiments/soldiers who spent time in Bedford, and maybe even in our nearby village of Biddenham, during the Great War. We would appreciate any information, images, you felt able to share with us. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Someone suggested i repost this here in case anyone can help.

Uncertain who this is

I am wondering if anyone can help with identifying this uniform - not much to go on I know. The reverse says "Photo by Donald Lindley, 99, Tavistock St Bedford". I thought I knew who it was but now I have a photo of that person from a relative and they are not the same. I am now wondering if this might be my Great Uncle who died at home in July 1916 of Tubercular Meningitis aged 22 years. I am not aware aware that he served but he might have done. His death certificate describes him as a Tailor /Journeyman. His name was Joseph Edward Manning (Eddie). I can find no service record online but that may not mean much. He was born in Naseby, Northants but the Family moved into Great Bowden, Market Harborough which is where he died. The photo was kept by his brother.

Any help appreciated.

Felicity

The man above is a Royal Engineer. The RE shoulder title is worn too far up the shoulder strap so I suspect he has just got his shoulder title, possibly on enlistment.

Steve.

• 4 months later...

First new one for ages:

An Alice Neame photo (I wonder if that is her bike in the background?) - perhaps taken from the steps of the pavilion Richard? - looks to be TF Seaforths pipers.

Lots of imperial service badges visible and the man front left (as they stand) appears to be wearing a mourning button.

post-14525-0-43905600-1446688974_thumb.j

Chris

Chris,

Please see attached. The Pipes and Drums of the 6th Seaforth in front of Bedford (Grammar) School cricket pavilion, photographed by Alice Neame. These are the same men who appear in your photo and, perhaps, the images were captured on the same day given that your photo was taken from the steps of the cricket pavilion.

6th%20Seaforth%20Pipes%20and%20Drums%20B