Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire WW1

Raster Scanning

Great pics (and poem) again Richard....

I'm still waiting for that corp. you outbid me on to pop up! ;)

(Rather complex schedule is taking shape - will email once I have spoken to my folks today)

Great pics (and poem) again Richard....

I'm still waiting for that corp. you outbid me on to pop up! ;)

No sooner said ... here's the Black Watch corporal (thought it was a "safe" bid, as he isn't a Gordon!) :blush: . Portrait by Salomons of Bedford ... I suggest he's either 1/6th, or 1/7th Battalion. These units joined the Highland Division in Bedford in April 1915 and were here about a month before leaving for France with the remainder of the Division in May.

Look forward to getting your itinerary.

Here's a comparison between a photograph (courtesy of 'Raster Scanning') of the 1/6 Seaforth marching through the western gateway of Bedford Park and the scene as it is today.

The troops are crossing Park Avenue and heading south into De Parys Avnue which runs parallel to the grounds and campus of Bedford School (HQ for 1/4 Seaforth). At the photographer's back is the area of town known as 'Black Tom' whose terraced housing provided many billets for the Seaforth men, along with the area bounded by De Parys Avenue, Bromham Road and Kimbolton Road.

A tented camp was located within the Park, as were the Seaforths' field kitchens

On the northern boundary of the Park is Foster Hill Road cemetery, which was the Town's main burial ground from the late 19th Century to the early 1990s. Several Highlander victims of measles / scarlet fever outbreaks of the winter of '14/'15 are buried in the cemetery's military plot.

• 1 month later...

First one I have come accross for a while:

Another Blake and Edgar - this time from the June 27th 1918 visit fo the King. - meeting with injured soldiers.

(unfortunately this print is slightly blurred so I cannot see a B&E number (bottom right) - looks like the paper was curled when it was under the enlarger)

Richard - not sure if you might know where this took place? There is a substantial building in the background with chimneys etc but otherwise not much to go on.

Chris

Another Blake and Edgar - this time from the June 27th 1918 visit fo the King. - meeting with injured soldiers.

Richard - not sure if you might know where this took place? There is a substantial building in the background with chimneys etc but otherwise not much to go on.

Chris

Chris,

Your photo of the King and Queen meeting wounded soldiers was taken in the grounds of Bedford School. The houses in the background are on De Parys Avenue.

The man on the extreme right of the image is Reginald Carter, M.A., Head Master of the School from 1910 - 1928.

I attach another image taken shortly before, or after yours on the same occasion. This shows Reginald Carter (extreme right, of the main group) introducing members of his staff to the King and Queen. The houses on the left hand side of the image are on De Parys Avenue and the trees in the background are in Bedford Park.

Hope this helps

Richard

• 1 month later...
1173. H Comp. 8th A&SH.

Bedford

Sunday 13th Dec.

Dear Mrs McC

I received your PC alright (sic) the other day. Thanks for same. I was surprised to hear about Beng getting married. We are still out here at Howbury under canvas and the place where we are camped is in an awful state with mud. The photo on the other side is of the nearest village to us to where we go very often to dig trenches.

With kind regards to all.

From John

Addessed to Mrs W McCulloch, 39 Combie St, Oban, Argyll, Scotland. Fanked Bedford 1pm 14 Dec 1914.

Howbury is the estate of the Polhill family of Renhold, the next village to Gt Barford.

Thanks for sharing this, John.

In late November / early December 1914 most of the companies of the 1/8 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were affected by measles to some extent. So much so that the entire Battalion was sent to the tented isolation camp in the grounds of Howbury Hall. The Hall itself served as Battalion HQ during this period.

The Battalion returned to billets in private dwellings in the Rothsay Road / Castle Road / Russell Park area of Bedford on 2 January 1915.

Signaller Hugh McArthur, C Coy, 1/8 A&SH records in his diary that, "The mud and cold there [Howbury] were something fearful". He had contracted measles and spent 3 weeks in the isolation hospital at Clapham, a village c.3 miles north of Bedford. He'd then returned home to Islay for 2 weeks recuperation leave before rejoining the Battalion at Howbury on Boxing Day 1914.

Richard

Piper,

I was wondering if there was anything written on the reverse of the picture of the Black Watch soldier?

Aye

Tom McC

Sorry, Tom. Nothing on the reverse of the photo.

Regards

Richard

Hi All,

Currently still bouncing around the UK - off to Aberdeen next week...

however I did manage to make copies of a diary of a 1/4th Gordons man for the whole time he was at Bedford last week - it is handwritten and in pencil (some very faint) but I hope to transcribe it asap.

thanks for posting the pics recently John.

Cheers

Chris

Hi All,

Currently still bouncing around the UK - off to Aberdeen next week...

however I did manage to make copies of a diary of a 1/4th Gordons man for the whole time he was at Bedford last week - it is handwritten and in pencil (some very faint) but I hope to transcribe it asap.

thanks for posting the pics recently John.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear that you made it safely back to UK. I'm intrigued to read about the Gordon's diary and would be really interested to see it once it's transcribed.

The annual Bedford Scots' Society / British Legion service of remembrance took place last Sunday at the military plot in Foster Hill Road cemetery. It was rather a damp, grey, clammy morning, but there was a good attendance nonetheless.

At the conclusion of the main service and parade, I visited James' grave and piped 'Flowers of the Forest' for him. Christine and one of my fellow pipers joined this small act of remembrance.

Hope all goes well in the Heilans and that we'll see you before you return Stateside.

Warmest regards

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for that - and please thank your colleague also.

I'll be in touch!

I have seen very few Beds pics recently but picked up another by Pierce the Nottingham photographer who I think may have photographed the scots units at Bedford.

Chris

Richard,

Thanks for that - and please thank your colleague also.

I'll be in touch!

I have seen very few Beds pics recently but picked up another by Pierce the Nottingham photographer who I think may have photographed the scots units at Bedford.

Chris

First of all Many Thanks to Richard and Chris for their help regarding photo of my Grandfather in Gordon Highlanders uniform and info on Bedford WW1

I am also visiting Aberdeen this month, first stop Gordon Highlanders Museum, any other place to visit re Gordon Highlanders? I don't want to miss anything!!

Jennifer :D

Pierce the Nottingham photographer who I think may have photographed the scots units at Bedford.

Chris

Hi Chris,

A W Pierce of Nottingham spent time in Bedford photographing the Highlanders. Most of the images I've seen are of Seaforth men, usually outside their billets in and around De Parys Avenue / 'Black Tom' / Foster Hill Road areas. I assume the photographer plied his trade up and down the streets taking the men's pictures with a view to selling them the prints.

Pierce also captured a few images of the Seaforth on Bedford School's playing fields.

I'm not sure how long Pierce was in Bedford, or whether there was any particular connection between him(?) and the Highlanders. Maybe he just had an eye for the main chance, given that Nottingham is on the main rail line to Bedford and that the Highlanders were something of an exotic attraction at that time.

I recently saw a pre-WW1 image by A W Pierce of the HLI at camp, apparently in Nottinghamshire.

Photographers ... mmm, another area for some research!

Richard

First of all Many Thanks to Richard and Chris for their help regarding photo of my Grandfather in Gordon Highlanders uniform and info on Bedford WW1

I am also visiting Aberdeen this month, first stop Gordon Highlanders Museum, any other place to visit re Gordon Highlanders? I don't want to miss anything!!

Jennifer :D

Hi Jennifer - I am sure there are others who can give you better information but I am going to the Museum (of course) but also to the main library to look through WWI period newspapers, to the special collections at the Uni, where they have some stuff related to U Coy. (later part of D Coy) the University Company, and of course to the memorial etc.

I am also going to wander around to various addresses I have references to in material.

Richard - thanks for the info on Pierce - I agree some background on the various photographers would be very interesting but I suspect rather difficult to obtain in many cases... I have 4 or 5 Pierce ones - when I get back to them I'll check.

Cheers

Chris

• 5 weeks later...

Glad you enjoyed it.

I have more to post when I am back home at Christmas!

• 4 weeks later...

A slight departure from the norm of my previous postings on this thread. This photograph was taken by J.T. Welch of 6, Midland Road, Bedford. On the reverse is written:

"The K????? [illegible]

25/5/15

Bedford

Boys of the Welsh"

I presume these TF men to be from either 1/4, or 1/5 Welsh Regiment who were based in Bedford from April - July 1915 before being sent to Gallipoli.

If anyone can offer any more info, it'd be gratefully received

post-13484-1231428705.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hello Highwood

I was wondering which picture this is referring to. I'm new to this forum and was brought here when looking for more information on my Great Uncle HH Phinney. And I'm hoping to be able to get a copy of that picture as well.

thank you

Lori-Kim

The names on the photograph are as follows:

2nd Lt Albert Allen REAH, 20th DLI and MGC;

2nd Lt J McVey, 27th Nortumberland Fusiliers;

2nd Lt Cecil Leon Roberts, 3rd South Lancashire Regt and RFC/RAF;

2nd Lt Henry Montagu Bagot Chester, 13th Yorkshire Regiment;

2nd Lt Philip Owen, 3rd DLI;

2nd Lt Edward Napier Thomas, 20th Middlesex and RAF;

2nd Lt Cyril Joseph Unsworth, 11th South Lancashire Regt, DoW 7-7-1916;

2nd Lt Geoffrey Loseby, 4th Lancashire Fusiliers;

2nd Lt Herbert Cecil Victor Hall, 18th Btn DLI, KiA 13-6-1917;

2nd Lt D W Robertson, 15th West Yorkshire Regt;

2nd Lt Charles Edward Clift, 21st Lancashire Fusiliers;

2nd Lt Ernest Victor Hardaker M.C. & bar, 13th Yorkshire Regt and 10th Essex Regt;

2nd Lt Cecil John de Beaurepaire, 13th Btn East Surrey Regt;

2nd Lt Charles William Elliot, 23rd Btn Middlesex Regt, ex Pte 2176 14th Btn London Regt (London Scottish);

2nd Lt John Noel Watson, 15th Btn Cheshire Regt;

2nd Lt William Gaspard Le Marchant, 6th Btn KRRC;

2nd Lt George Duncan MacIntyre, 13th Yorkshire Regt, KiA 10-7-1916;

2nd Lt C V Cassal, 19th Manchesters;

2nd Lt Charles Robert Crozier Fisher, 3rd Btn Cheshire Regt;

2nd Lt Victor Edmund Powell 3rd Btn KSLI, KiA 26-9-1917;

2nd Lt Glynne William Evan Morgan, 3rd Btn Est Yorkshire Regt;

2nd Lt Archibald Jenner Sells, 3rd Btn The Queen's Regt, KiA 26-10-1916;

2nd Lt Percival Spencer, 20th Btn DLI;

2nd Lt William Anthony Gallon, 3rd Btn Border Regt;

2nd Lt Daniel Gill, 15th Btn West Yorks, KiA 24-10-1916;

2nd Lt Arthur Howard, 15th Btn West Yorkshire Regt;

2nd Lt Odo MacKay Simpson, 4th Btn Notts & Derbys KiA 13-7-1918;

2nd Lt Henry Chichely Dancer Sherston-Baker, 3rd Btn The Queen's Regt;

2nd Lt Douglas Vernon Palin, 3rd Btn Gloucestershire Regt;

SGT MAJOR JANKINSON Cheshire Regt;

2nd Lt Thomas Lloyd Richards, 3rd Btn South Wales Borderers;

2nd Lt J A Stanley, 15th West Yorkshire Regt;

2nd Lt Ambrose Clifford Chadwick, 15th West Yorks;

2nd Lt Norman Gilfillan, 4th South Staffordshire Regt;

2nd Lt C V Neil, 20th DLI;

LT-COL E F HOOD;

LT H H PHINNEY;

2nd Lt Thomas Henry Hions, 13th Yorks & Lancs;

2nd Lt William Ernest Ramsden, 15th West Yorkshire Regt;

2nd Lt John Woodley Morrison, 17th Btn Royal Warwickshire Regt, DoW 30-12-1916;

2nd Lt A K Lawrence, 19th Northumberland Fusiliers;

2nd Lt Alfred John Bailey 17th KRRC, KiA 3-9-1916;

2nd Lt J I Willis, 19th Northumberland Fusiliers;

2nd Lt George Richwood, 20th DLI;

2nd Lt James Hamilton Hogg, 3rd South Lancashire Regt;

2nd Lt Charles Frederick Buckley, 20th Lancashire Fusiliers;

2nd Lt C Curtiss, 19th Middlesex;

2nd Lt D J O'Hanlon, 27th Btn Northumberland Fusiliers and MGC.

Hello Highwood

I was wondering which picture this is referring to. I'm new to this forum and was brought here when looking for more information on my Great Uncle HH Phinney. And I'm hoping to be able to get a copy of that picture as well.

thank you

Lori-Kim

Hello Lori Kim

The picture is on post 188 of this thread. The original is in my collection.

Simon.

Hello Lori Kim

The picture is on post 188 of this thread. The original is in my collection.

Simon.

Thank You Simon,

Would it be possible to get a copy of it?

Lori-Kim

Just found this site by chance but as a Bedford man who left over 40 years ago to enlist as a boy soldier i have found it rivetting. Many thanks to all those who have posted and on my next visit back To Bedford I will be looking at it with different eyes.

Thank You Simon,

Would it be possible to get a copy of it?

Lori-Kim

Of course, please send me your email address and I will send you a copy,

Simon.

Of course, please send me your email address and I will send you a copy,

Simon.

I'm unable to send private messages so here it is lori-kim@my-placetoday.ca

Lori-Kim

Lori-Kim,

I will send a photograph in the next few days. It would probably be best if you delete your post with your email address.

Simon.

Just found this site by chance but as a Bedford man who left over 40 years ago to enlist as a boy soldier i have found it rivetting. Many thanks to all those who have posted and on my next visit back To Bedford I will be looking at it with different eyes.

Thanks Keith, glad you enjoyed it. I will post more in a few days.