Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian in 20 Squadron

Lorraine CJ

Seeing my search for information on South African in 20 Squadron was so successful, maybe someone will have some personal information on Major J A Dennistoun, formerly of the Canadian infantry, and son of Lt. Col R W Dennistoun.

I have his patrol reports.

What I need is confirmation that he was a flight commander in 1917/1918 in the squadron, and most importantly his first name.

Thank you,

LCJ

The most likely candidate is James Alexander Dennistoun, whose attestation (or officer's declaration) can be found here .

S.F. Wise' "Canadian Airmen and the First World War" makes only the following remark:

" . . . 39 Squadron based at Biggin Hill and North Weald opposed the raid of 29-30 September with three BE12s, six BE2es, and two BE2cs, one of the latter being flown by the flight commander, Major J.A. Dennistoun of Winnipeg."

This sounds like your fellow, but we will have to do more work on his squadron postings.

Hope this helps.

Some information from the London Gazette:

Issue 30327, 9 October, 1917, link.

The undermentioned temp. Capts. to be temp. Majs.: —

10 July 1917.

J. A. Dennistoun, and to remain secd, for duty with the R.F.C.

Issue 31366, 30 May, 1919, link.

Manitoba Regt.

Temp. Maj. J. A. Dennistoun ceases to be secd, for duty with the R.A.F. 25 Nov. 1918.

Issue 31505, 14 August, 1919, link.

Manitoba Regt.

Temp. Maj. J. A. Dennistoun ceases to be secd, for duty with the R.A.F. 9 June 1919.

(Substituted for Gaz. notification 30 May 1919, page 6750.)

Could this be his father? Issue 29965, 27 February, 1917, link.

OVERSEA CONTINGENTS.

CANADA.

Lt.-Col. R. M. Dennistoun, Gen. List, to be Dep. Judge Advocate-Gen. 19th Feb. 1917.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Dennistoun

Hi,

You are asking about James Dennistoun. He was my uncle . R.M. D. was my grand father. (died 1952)

James, known as Jim, was apparently shot down and crawled back through no mans land to the allied lines. He died young, in 1949.

They also had a brother Jack who flew and was killed (Shot down) and is apparently burried somewhere in France. I can't find any records in my mothers notes as to where he might be.

I have always wondered how I might find out where he was burried. Perhaps someone can give me direction on that.

Their youngest brother , Peel, was also in, I beleive, the Royal Naval Air Force but only became elligable to fight as the armisice was declaired. He never saw action.

Thanks

Dennistoun

Welcome to the Forum!

Your uncle Lt John Romeyn Dennistoun, from Winnipeg, was an observer in No 7 Sqn RFC (formerly Fort Garry Horse and the Canadian Corps Cyclist Battalion). He was killed in action on 4 May 1916 when flying in BE 2c 4109, piloted by 2Lt Edward Gurney Ryckman from Toronto. They were carrying out an Artillery registration mission east of Ploegsteert Wood when shot down by Vizefeldwebel Wilhelm Frankl of Kampfeinsitzerkommando Vaux who was flying a Fokker monoplane; it was the 4th of [eventual] Ltn Frankl's 20 victories before his death in action on 8 April 1917.

Both crew members from 4109 are buried at Hailluin, France. More information on the graves is at: http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14 From the data there, it appears that Lt J R Dennistoun was temporarily attached to the RFC from the CCCB, probably as a probationary observer. This was a common arrangement for those wishing to transfer to the RFC; they were attached while they had 'on the job' observer training and it was determined that they and aerial activities were compatible.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Dennistoun,

Here is some information on Jim Dennistoun from the letters of my great uncle. Apparently they went on leave together once, while in 20 Squadron, to London. They left on MArch 12th 1918.

Here is the extract in which he is mentioned, thought you might be interested:

"I am going on leave with my flight commander who is a Canadian Major of about 26 years of age and one of the finest sports you ever met; he behaves just like a 2nd. Lieut. and we all rag him like anything."

Do you know when he was shot down and survived?

Yours,

LCJ

Here is his Commonwealth War Graves Commission commemoration and the location of his grave.

Name: DENNISTOUN, JOHN ROMEYN

Initials: J R

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Div. Cyclist Company

Unit Text: 1st

Secondary Regiment: Royal Flying Corps

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 7th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 04/05/1916

Additional information: Son of Mr. Justice R. M. Dennistoun (Court of Appeal), of 216, Cockburn St., Winnipeg, Canada.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: D. 1.

Cemetery: HALLUIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=279123

Cemetery: HALLUIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Locality: Nord

Location Information: Halluin is a town on the France/Belgium border to the north of Lille. Halluin Communal Cemetery lies in the south-east corner of the town and can be found by following the signs for the German war cemetery. The Commonwealth War Graves plot is situated in the far left hand side of the cemetery.

Historical Information: The Communal Cemetery was used by the Germans, and extended to the North-East. The German graves in the Communal Cemetery were removed to the Extension after the Armistice; the British graves from the Extension were taken to Pont-du-Hem Military Cemetery; and the British graves in the Communal Cemetery were regrouped near the North corner. There are now over 30, 1914-18 and a small number of 1939-45 war casualties commemorated in this site. Two graves from the 1914-18 War, destroyed by shell fire, are now represented by special memorials.

No. of Identified Casualties: 42

Steve.

Sorry, Gareth. Missed your link!

This link is to the Canadian Archives attestation papers page for Dennistouns:

http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/...amp;r=0&f=S

You can view attestation papers (front and back) online and order full service records.

James, Jack and their Father's papers are all there.

Steve.

Halluin Communal Cemetery

Photo grave of James Robert DENNISTOUN, as it was published in my book 'Versteende Vleugels' (Petrified Wings) about air war over Flanders.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1158251741.jpg

Guest Dennistoun

Thank you so much to you all.

I had no idea that this information was available right down to a photo of the grave site. I am quite overwhelmed and finding it remarkably emotional.

I am passing all on to my brothers and sisters. 3 being older, may be able to fill in some details on Jim.

Dennistoun

Here is Jack's obituary from the Times.

post-6536-1158257222.jpg

Steve.

Dear Dennistoun,

Yes, it is all very emotional, and people in this Forum are incredibly generous with their time and information.

Do you happen to have any photos of Jim while in the 20 Squadron, or his aerodrome, or something of the sort?

Best wishes,

LCJ

Guest Dennistoun

I will dig into the boxes and files. We have some family celebrations coming up on the 30th so I am on that full time and that will delay the hunt. Having said that I can do some face to face pressure on our gang to dig around.

Stay tuned!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Dennistoun
Thanks anyway!

Cnock

I have some pictures but , as I am not very good at attachments, I can't figure out how to attach them.

They are in jpeg.

Any suggestions.

Dennistoun

Dennistoun,

Good to hear from you again, I was hoping you would return with photos of Jim or his squadron...

Try this: when you reply, choose the option File Attachments below and there you can choose the name of your file which will be added to your reply. I know, it sounds easy once you've done it before, but hope this helps.

Looking forward to hearing from you again,

LCJ

• 8 years later...

I have a war era photo of a deceased airman with writing in German which translated says in part "Lt. Frankl" and "Canadian pilot after jumping 1000 m from his burning aircraft". I will not post the photo out of respect to this officer. Would like to be able to confirm if this might be either Dennistoun or Ryckman. I put my research about Ryckman on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial - here From the photo the face (though badly injured) could be Ryckman. The body is dressed and lying in a field.

Photos/bio I found:

post-3697-0-40863700-1427852240_thumb.jppost-3697-0-72489100-1427852268_thumb.jp

Marika

According to Henshaw's excellent TSTB2, the crew of BE2c (4109) did jump from 1,000 feet from the burning aircraft, so I'd imagine the condition of the body would be such that the posting of an image on the forum would be unwarranted. Although the 'who got who' game is somewhat unreliable it's almost universally agreed that Wilhelm Frankl was the victor on this occasion.

• 6 years later...

Dennistoun, as your uncle died with Edward Ryckman who is in my family tree it seems that oddly fate and history and the internet has bound us together, even though tenuously. @Canadawwi not posting that image was very kind of you, much respect. Learning the cold hard truth of how poor Edward met his fate deeply saddens me.

Edited by Arnold McBay

• 9 months later...