Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

mysterious grandfather's MIC

annestormont

post-13874-1154962503.jpgI have been trying for the last 3/4 years to track down my husband's genealogical history. This has proved unsuccessful because we cannot trace his grandfather, Vincent Hendon Stormont, history before his marriage in 1910. He appears not to have been registered at birth, not is he on the 1891 or 1901 census. However, I have found a medal card. A relative has tried to find records at Kew but failed. When I saw the MIC I thought that was it - we are just not meant to know who he is or where he came from - but maybe the card says something I don't recognise and someone out there will! Here it is: Anne

The Roll Page the MiC refers to might assist,these are held @ the NA{not online}

He may not have been on the 1901 Census if he was born/living in another part of the UK not subject to the Census,if he was married in 1910*,he must have been around somewhere then{possibly serving in HM Forces abroad,or the Mercantile Marine?},the name Stormont suggests this might be?

* does the Marriage Certificate not give his place of Birth?

The Roll Page the MiC refers to might assist,these are held @ the NA{not online}

He may not have been on the 1901 Census if he was born/living in another part of the UK not subject to the Census,if he was married in 1910*,he must have been around somewhere then{possibly serving in HM Forces abroad,or the Mercantile Marine?},the name Stormont suggests this might be?

* does the Marriage Certificate not give his place of Birth?

Thanks for your reply. The marriage certificate gives his address at that time, which was a nursery garden in Hanwell. His father is down as deceased of the same name. I am not the only one who has invested hours trying to find out who he is and where he came from - the general feeling is he was probably a foundling who chose his name. Despite having had six children, one of whom is still living, virtually nothing is known of his past. We possess a gold medal for 'vocal singing' presented to him on 12.04.1909 by the N.S.L.C.SA no one knows the meaning of the italics either -oh and there is a very poor violin in the family. You see why I call him 'mysterious'?

I thought his service record would at least give a place and date of birth. The family say 31st December 1885. Anne

Hello

now dont get too excited, but some (1% I heard) MIC have details of address's on the back

However, the originals arent at the NA but in storage and not sure how you get access at the moment - might never be available but thought Id give you that straw to clutch! Someone has to get lucky

Not an expert on the MICs in this respect - perhaps another pal can help out

Ian

Hello

now dont get too excited, but some (1% I heard) MIC have details of address's on the back

However, the originals arent at the NA but in storage and not sure how you get access at the moment - might never be available but thought Id give you that straw to clutch! Someone has to get lucky

Not an expert on the MICs in this respect - perhaps another pal can help out

Ian

Thank you Ian. I'll just sit tight for a bit and see if anyone else responds - whilst clutching the straw!!

Anne

Hello Anne,

If you don't mind giving some more details from the marriage certificate, I'll check the census' again for you. I know from my own experience that names aren't always right on certificates and particuarly the census!

What is given as Vincent and his Father's occupation?

What is the age at marriage?

What were the witnesses names?

Best wishes

Tracy

Hi Tracey

Thanks for your interest - I'm always glad when someone else offers to look - we all see differently. There are two spellings of his christian name Vincient and Vincent -the first is on his marriage certificate the second on his MIC, Family say first is correct - which makes the name even more unusual. Certificate says March 27 1910 Vincient Hendon Stormont 25 batchelor oilman's assistant Park Farm Hanwell Vincient Stormont(deceased) No occupation

Florence Russell 24 spinster-----Park Farm Hanwell Robert Russell Farm labourer

witnessed by Robert Russell Richard Cutbill Elizabeth Russell

They were married in the parish church of Hanwell Middlesex. Think that's it! My brother in law has extracted every Stormont from every available document and I have done similar. I am so reluctant to give up but..... Anne

Anne,

On top of which I can tell you that Labour Corps number 179335, was one of a block of numbers issued to 335th(Home Service)Labour Company, the Labour Corps. This particular company was one of eigtheen (Home Service)Labour Corps companies formed from the twenty six "Infantry Works Companies" of the Middlesex Regiment. From 335th(H.S.)Labour Coy, he's obviously been sent overseas.

Graham.

Anne,

On top of which I can tell you that Labour Corps number 179335, was one of a block of numbers issued to 335th(Home Service)Labour Company, the Labour Corps. This particular company was one of eigtheen (Home Service)Labour Corps companies formed from the twenty six "Infantry Works Companies" of the Middlesex Regiment. From 335th(H.S.)Labour Coy, he's obviously been sent overseas.

Graham.

Thank you Graham. I knew it was worth posting his MIC!! Can I find out anymore ? Like where he was sent overseas? As his service record wasn't found I guess it could have been lost in WW2 - or not properly searched for. Anne

Anne,

Thats the hard part as, as far as I'm aware the Labour Corps Medal Roll Books do not contain units they served overseas with. So you have to hope that perhaps some part of his service records survived. I have been told that records for the Labour Corps do survive in some quantity, so you may get lucky and find him either in the "burnt" or "unburnt", sections. It would be worth a vist and a trawl through, as you never know.

Graham.

He may not have been on the 1901 Census if he was born/living in another part of the UK

Anne

As HB suggests, looking at the England & Wales census and registration documents may be worthless if he were born and/or living in Scotland or Ireland. Have you done any research down these routes? I haven't needed to do any Scots or Irish research and have no pointers - but I'm sure there are Pals who will be able to advise.

Good luck,

Jim

Edit: and I noticed a number of Stormonts born in India in the 1870s on the LDS FamilySearch site - another possibility??

Edited by Jim Clay

We possess a gold medal for 'vocal singing' presented to him on 12.04.1909 by the N.S.L.C.SA no one knows the meaning of the italics either -oh and there is a very poor violin in the family. You see why I call him 'mysterious'?

Anne

Given that he has not been traced in the British records I would think about looking for this mysterious man somewhere else in the Empire.

Concerning the "N.S.L.C.SA" marking on the singing medal. I read this as N.S.L.C. and SA. No idea what N.S.L.C. stands for, but to me SA means either South Africa or South Australia.

Sorry, there should have been a stop between all of the inititals N.S.L.C.S.A - the only bit that I thought a possibility was N.S.L.Choir Schools Association - but that didn't produce anything.

Yes, I think I have to try harder to find if there is a service record of any sort. Its good to get other people's ideas. Thank you. Anne

Hi Anne

I've spent several hours checking the census and birth records in every way I can think of but there's know sign of him. I like a mystery myself but it's gets so frustrating when you can't find anything! I have one like that too.

I hope you manage to find something elsewhere otherwise it's a long wait until the 1911 census is released!

Good luck

Tracy