Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Something not quite right on my 1901 Census details.

Duncan

Could someone please check this 1901 Census details I have for the Madden family of Scotland, Liverpool? I have

8H 19 Court, Penrhyn Street, St Matthew’s Parish, Scotland, Liverpool.

John Madden, head, 38, Dock labourer.

Annie Madden, wife, 28.

Bernard, son, 17, Dock labourer.

Maggie, daughter, 11.

Sarah, daughter, 9.

John, son, 6.

Patrick, son, 4.

That would have made her 11 when Bernard was born!!! Obviously I’ve got something wrong somewhere?

Cheers,

Duncan.

Several things...

She might be the second wife, and not the mother of Bernard. Afterall, there is quite a gap between Bernard and his younger sister, Maggie.

Whomever it was that gave the ages or filled in the form might have given the wrong age. This could be accidental, or it could be deliberate (following the Rule of Ancestors: If a woman, thou shalt lie about thy age, yea even unto the census taker, rather than bear the shame of being older than thy husband.)

Whomever it was that was typing up the information for online either made a typo, who couldn't read the handwriting very well.

Allie

Duncan

Bernard is shown on the census image as BROTHER, not Son as suggested.

Steve

I have had a look at the image - and it is definitely 28 (comparing the handwriting against other entries on the page.)

So it is not a transcription error.

Regards

Jan

Image attached which shows that Annie is NOT the mother of Bernard who is in fact John's BROTHER.

Duncan

John and Annie are living at 8 Court, Kew Street Liverpool in the 1891 census with their daughter Maggie aged 1.

Annie's age is recorded as 21.

Perhaps Annie or John were on the tipple when they gave their ages to the 1901 enumerator? :P

regards

Mel

Perhaps Annie or John were on the tipple when they gave their ages to the 1901 enumerator? :P

Or perhaps Annie was really only 18 in 1891.

Duncan's question is answered in post 3, but further posts raises another question which can be answered (if Duncan is interested :) - and if he doesn't already have the info) by getting hold of one of the kids' birth certs to find their mum Annie's maiden name, then tracking down her birth registration on one of the online sites (eg Ancestry, freeBMD, 1837online etc).

Jim

• 6 years later...

Annie's maiden name was Spellman. The Bernard in question is John's brother so John and Annie had not been on the tipple as said by Melpack.

John and Annie did have a son Bernard who was born in 1902 and was my grandad.

Hope this answer's the first question.

Colin Madden