Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Royal Lancaster Regiment at Le Cateau August 1914.

Duncan

I read that the 1st Battalion, Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment were decimated at the battle of Le Cateau 26th August 1914. Does anyone know of a list of casualties, or battalion members who were present?

I have a 1914 Star to a Private 8113 Harry Beswick from the battalion. There’s no Aug-Nov bar mentioned on his MIC, and was hoping there may be some way of checking to see if he was at the action. His MIC states he landed in France on the 23rd August, which indicates he landed with the battalion, and was not a later reinforcement.

Cheers,

Duncan.

On the same subject but a different Regiment, my great-uncle Walter was captured at Le Cateau with the 2nd Suffolks. He has no clasp recorded on his MIC, though he HAD to be in action.

The Clasp had to be claimed by survivors and was only issued automatically to men killed. The simple explanation may be that he just didn't claim his.

Steve.

I read that the 1st Battalion, Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment were decimated at the battle of Le Cateau 26th August 1914. Does anyone know of a list of casualties, or battalion members who were present?

I have a 1914 Star to a Private 8113 Harry Beswick from the battalion. There’s no Aug-Nov bar mentioned on his MIC, and was hoping there may be some way of checking to see if he was at the action. His MIC states he landed in France on the 23rd August, which indicates he landed with the battalion, and was not a later reinforcement.

Cheers,

Duncan.

he later served with the 3/5th east lancs regt No 4874,the 23rd aug was when the main body disembarked at bolougne and went into action on 26th aug,he did land on 23rd[batt medal roll] bernard

Duncan,

Cowpers Kings Own history records that on August 26th, Kings Own lost 5 officers killed (including the C.O Lt-Col Dykes), 6 wounded, of whom 2 were taken prisoner, and 1 missing. 431 other ranks were killed, wounded and missing.

This was the most ever suffered in a single day by the battalion. Peter Donelly at the K.O museum in Lancaster would be a good source of more info - a most helpful guy.

Pete